The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Rejoice, fans of George R.R. Martin:

HBO has given the production order.

They will be filming the pilot episode of A GAME OF THRONES.

It's just the pilot so far. They'll need to see that before they decide whether to proceed with a full season's episodes. So let's all hope the pilot will kick serious donkey.

It should. David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series.

More details when I have 'em. The news is very fresh. HBO just issued their own press release, which should be up on their website soon, if it's not there already.

Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/58155.html

I really hope it gets picked up for a series. It's definitely very high up on my list of favourite books. Is anyone else excited?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This thread needs a major bump-- the series premiere of Game Of Thrones is set to air on April 17 on HBO! I'm SOO beyond excited for this series!!!!! I've been a fan of the series a Song of Ice & Fire for a while and I think this show will be amazing! Heres a 15 minute sneak preview!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQykXOukM2Q

On a side note, George RR Martin said in an interview that he is terrified of "pulling a LOST" by ending Game of Thrones craptily. Suffice to say, Damon Lindelof didn't take that too well-- you should check out his twitter rants. Pretty funny.

Even better: A Dance with Dragons is due out in July. :)

I've got the "making of" special set up on PVR already, but the HBO listings haven't yet gone as far as the 17th. I'll probably check daily until I can set up the series recording for it.

I'm in the midst of re-reading the series now, as I haven't read it since my university days. I'd forgotten much of what happens, including most of the 4th book (which I'm now on).

I am SO SO SO STOKED for both this series and the next book. So many good things this summer. I love the casting and the first 15 minute preview was really awesome (although Waymer was supposed to die somewhat valiantly), that wall just looks EPIC.

I'm not sure if I will be able to watch a certain, devastating event that occurs in the 3rd book. You all know what I'm talking about. I barely could handle it in the book and got so mad I threw my copy across the room and didn't pick it up for a week or more. No book has ever affected me like that before.

Also, Jon and Dany are totally going to make Targaryen babies.

I'm apprehensive honestly as I'm not sure how the story will transfer to film. After all it is fairly epic and jumps back and forth between different characters story lines.

Edited by JamesTW

I'm apprehensive honestly as I'm not sure how the story will transfer to film. After all it is fairly epic and jumps back and forth between different characters story lines.

I'm glad they're doing it as a TV miniseries rather than trying to make a movie out of it. The miniseries format gives them much more time to explore different story lines and characters.

I'm glad they're doing it as a TV miniseries rather than trying to make a movie out of it. The miniseries format gives them much more time to explore different story lines and characters.

Agreed. With a full season to cover each book they should have the time to develope the characters (maybe not as well as George's books do) but a lot more than if they were to do this in movie form.

That first 15 minutes looks promising and that wall does look amazing.

Even better: A Dance with Dragons is due out in July. :)

I've got the "making of" special set up on PVR already, but the HBO listings haven't yet gone as far as the 17th. I'll probably check daily until I can set up the series recording for it.

I'm in the midst of re-reading the series now, as I haven't read it since my university days. I'd forgotten much of what happens, including most of the 4th book (which I'm now on).

Thanks for that Starbug. :) I've been waiting forever for that frikken book! Can't wait for it and the mini-series, which HBO has been previewing (read: teasing me with) for a couple of months now.

• 2 weeks later...

Meant to post in this thread earlier.

LOVE the book series and am very excited for the new book in the summer. Not sure about the tv series though, there are some pretty rough moments in the book that are very important and I worry about the mini-series not doing them justice.