Mr.Noodles

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

End of book 5 really picks up. I read through books 3, 4 and 5 in about a month and now I have to wait years for the next one?! :sadno:

While reading this I kept thinking there were only going to be 6 books and kept thinking how can they cram this all in one book?! Then I realized there was gonna be a seventh

I'll keep at it - sure haven't been disappointed with the previous books!

Wow - with watching the trailers, I am now a bit sad that I've read ahead so far, though. But, this season will be intense. Can't wait to see how they will portray particular events.

How did you guys like the episode tonight?

Margaery Tyrell is getting hotter every episode.

How did you guys like the episode tonight?

Margaery Tyrell is getting hotter every episode.

Thought it was a great episode to start the season and found it way better than the walking dead finale I watched just before. Couldn't believe it was over already when the credits started rolling

I'm always a season behind on GoT. We don't have HBO and always wait until it's released on Blu-Ray to watch them. Next year March for me.

Gonna be a great season. Rob Stark's expression when he sees all the dead, he's gonna eff some peeps up!!

Edited by Raoul Duke

I'm always a season behind on GoT. We don't have HBO and always wait until it's released on Blu-Ray to watch them. Next year March for me.

I definitely wouldn't have the patience for that...

• Upvote 1

Let the Games begin... again.

A good set-up episode for the season... lots of journeys and arrivals. The episode is titled “Valar Dohaeris” which means all men must serve and it is the traditional response to the greeting, "Valar Morghulis" -all men must die.

Despite going head to head with the season finale of The Walking Dead the GOT season premiere was a ratings blockbuster. http://insidetv.ew.c...iere-ratings-3/

The episode starts where it left off beyond the wall where one of Sam's Nightwatch brothers has encountered the other Walking Dead and seems to have lost his head - literally. Sam is about to suffer the same fate when Robb's direwolf and the remainder of the Nightwatch scouting party arrive on the scene. Time to head back and warn those sout of the wall what is coming. In a rousing speech sure to lift the spirits of his men Lord Commander Mormont says:

“We have to make it, have to warn them or before winter’s done, everyone you’ve ever known will be dead.”

But Tyrion again steals the episode.

Best lines in the episode between Tyrion and Cersei in their meeting as Cersei is worried that he will tell their father about who the real father of her children is:

Cersei on seeing Tyrion's facial wounds sustained in the Battle of Blackwater (from an attempted assasination put in mottion by Cersei) that is healing - “They’d said you lost your nose, but it’s not as gruesome as all that.” In the book he does in fact lose part of his nose, not just an impressive scar across his cheek and nose.

And the witty repartee continues:

Cersei: “You’re a clever man, but you’re not as clever as you think you are.”

Tyrion: “It still makes me more clever than you.”

Perhaps a better episode title would have been “Tyrion: Still More Clever Than You”???

And Bronn gets in on the witty remarks as well as he needs better compensation for watching Tyrion's back - he may be a friend but as a "sell-sword" (mercenary) it just would not do to not be paid and since he is now a knight, his price has gone up. About double he thinks is fair.

Tyrion: “I don’t know how much I’m paying you now,”

Bronn : “Which means you can afford it,”

The meeting with Tywiin, Tyrion's father (now the current Hand of King Joffrey) does not go well. Tyrion wants Casterly Rock, the stronghold of House Lannister for his services in saving the kingdom. Tywin tells Tyrion in no uncertain terms that he will be rewarded for his services as befitting his position, but Casterly Rock? Not a chance. Oh, and the next whore that Tywin finds in his bed will be hanged. Dad really shows respect for his boy Tyrion noting he is an “ill-made, spiteful little creature full of envy, lust and low cunning.” Tyrion is not pleased with Dad and as we have seen when he is not pleased one should probably watch out.

And Maergery Tyrell does her best Princess Di personation - charity work, bringing food and the scene at the orphanage in Flea Bottom...

gameofthrones13_29.jpg

At dinner Cersei realizes that Maergery is way more clever than Joffrey's previous intended Sanasa and the girl is dangerous - maybe more dangerous than she herself may be. King Joffrey sides with Maergery. At the most awkward family dinner Margaery takes a few swipes at Cersei’s age and increasing obsolescence, and adds that it’s the Tyrells who’re supplying the food keeping the Lannisters alive! Poor Cersei she just keeps running up against clever people.

Oh yeah and the dragons are growing up but not fast enough to suit Daenerys who is journeying to get a slave army of fearless eunuchs known as "The Unsullied" but she is disturbed to find out the initiation rite for each of the 8000 soldiers involves murdering a baby ripped from the mother's arms. I get the feeling the slaver who trained this army may not be long for this world. The chapter title for these scenes should be "Nipplegate".

And the scene with the little girl and the "scorpion" in the ball assassination attempt was well done. She is saved by a mysterious cloaked man who reveals himself to be Ser Barristan Selmy, Robert Baratheon’s and her father’s former kingsguard who was dismissed from service by Joffrey. Ser Jorah Mormont does not look pleased to have Selmy around so lots of tensions here to play out as Selmy pledges himself to Daenerys on bended knee.

Jon Snow makes his journey to the camp of Mance Rayder - the King Beyond the Wall and it looks as if his plan to infiltrate will not be ended prematurely with his death.

The one scene that was a clunker was Robb, arriving in Harrenhal and finding the people massacred except for one. That could easily have been left out.

The other journey? Davos alive and journeying back to see Stannis but that did not work out well.

And a glaring omission? What is Arya up to... apparently next week is a lot of Arya.

I definitely wouldn't have the patience for that...

If this was 10 years ago, I'd be right with you. However, work, married life, and having season tickets to the Jets takes up a lot of time. After that, having US Netflix really helps out a lot for tv watching. There are still loads of shows/films I still haven't watched. My brother loaned The Wire to me about 5 months ago, only watched 2 episodes so far. Sons of Anarchy is in our queue on Netflix, probably won't get to it until late summer. It just never ends really. So as much as I'd like to watch GoT right now, there is a lot to keep me occupied until it comes out to buy next year.

I wonder if Margaery is truly that good or if she is trying to play the part of the perfect Queen. A very good premiere as it set everything up. I read somewhere that reviewers claimed that this was the worst of the first five episodes, which makes me really happy since I thought it was a great episode. And I'm glad they changed Jon's reason for wanting to join the Wildings. I never really liked the book version.

Ive got such a girlcrush on Danerys its not even funny. I'm a Targaryan supporter.

Cant support the Lannisters obviously and the starks are chasing their own tails. I've read the books so Ill say no more but can't wait for episode 9 ...lol thats all Ill say

Ive got such a girlcrush on Danerys its not even funny. I'm a Targaryan supporter.

Cant support the Lannisters obviously and the starks are chasing their own tails. I've read the books so Ill say no more but can't wait for episode 9 ...lol thats all Ill say

I think everyone who has read the books has a strong sense of what will happen in episode 9 this season and can't wait!I'm still with Jon Snow overall.

These week we had Ciarán Hinds (Julius Caesar in the series Rome) join the cast as Mance Rayder and next week...

Emma Peel

320963_1321924665161_400_300.jpg

Oops... Dame Diana Rigg, DBE - she played the only Bond girl to get James to the altar but it was short lived honeymoon.

mrs-bond.jpg

In GoT she portrays Lady Olenna Tyrell née Redwyne - otherwise known as The Queen Of Thorns. Per the Wiki:

Lady Olenna, better known by her nickname The Queen of Thorns, and rarely shies from stating her opinion. She is described as a wizened, cunning old woman with a wicked wit and a sharp tongue.

MV5BNTM5OTY3NjM5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcyMTEwOQ@@._V1._SX640_SY962_.jpg

Not only does Diana Rigg may her first appearance but we get to see what is happening to Aryana who was MIA in the premiere episode of season 3.

Here is the promo for next weeks episode - "Dark Wings, Dark Words"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmSOWGGeo