The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Just found this picture of, according to George Martin, what the real iron throne is supposed to look like:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/07/IronThroneReal-610x885.jpg

I'm definitely using this image when I'm reading the books

Also here's the article of GR explaining his vision of the iron throne:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/heres-game-of-thrones-real-iron-throne

Guest Gumballthechewy

Just found this picture of, according to George Martin, what the real iron throne is supposed to look like:

http://oyster.ignimg...eal-610x885.jpg

I'm definitely using this image when I'm reading the books

It makes more sense to look like that, after all it's supposed to have been made from thousands of swords.

Also, it looks waaaaaaay more badass!

• Upvote 1

possibly the funniest scene in the whole show is when podrick returns from the brothel.

My biggest laugh so far was hearing Lady Olenna refer to Loras as "a sword swallower, through and through"....

I also got a lot of chuckles from Jaime's banter with Brienne:

- "You're not Renly's type. He prefers little girls, like Loras Tyrell"....

- "I was at Winterfell and you weren't there. I would have noticed your forehead bashing into the archways"...

Cat gets more readable in the 2nd book once she is given more duties IMO.

I hope so, I am just startiing the second book tonight, though I found Cat to much worse during season 2 so we will see. I want to get ahead of the show before the next season starts how far through the books do I have to get through? Did they only do half the third book in season 3, or did they pretty much finish it? I liked the 1st book anyways they seem to explain so much better

My biggest problem with the show is how they butchered Cat and Robb. They are a lot more dimensional and sympathetic even with their stupid decisions (I much preferred Westerlings over Talisa and Cat freeing Jaime mad with grief thinking Sansa is the only live Stark side from Robb). They barely touched on how the "deaths" of Bran and Rickon affected Cat and Robb in the show. It was extremely detrimental to their character development

I've noticed many book readers seem to focus on a particular part of the book that they say was butchered, although everyone focuses on something different. Butchered is extremely unfair, as changes and cuts have to happen as part of the TV process. I can't think of a more faithful adaption of a story this big. I think you'll enjoy the show more if you separate the two in your mind as different things, and enjoy the show for what it is. Resist the urge to go to the dark side and become an angry nerd. There are already too many.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I hope so, I am just startiing the second book tonight, though I found Cat to much worse during season 2 so we will see. I want to get ahead of the show before the next season starts how far through the books do I have to get through? Did they only do half the third book in season 3, or did they pretty much finish it? I liked the 1st book anyways they seem to explain so much better

They did most of the third book in the third season but they left out a fair chunk of it.

My biggest problem with the show is how they butchered Cat and Robb. They are a lot more dimensional and sympathetic even with their stupid decisions (I much preferred Westerlings over Talisa and Cat freeing Jaime mad with grief thinking Sansa is the only live Stark side from Robb). They barely touched on how the "deaths" of Bran and Rickon affected Cat and Robb in the show. It was extremely detrimental to their character development Hodor.

Edited by CB007
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gumballthechewy

Man, Tyrion is such a nice guy, being all gentlemanly like to Sansa and not bedding her unless she wants it.

I almost feel bad for Theon, too bad he's a weasel that deserves what he gets. I'm really curious as to where he's being held and by whom.

Man, Tyrion is such a nice guy, being all gentlemanly like to Sansa and not bedding her unless she wants it.

I almost feel bad for Theon, too bad he's a weasel that deserves what he gets. I'm really curious as to where he's being held and by whom.

I see you've nearly caught up. Good job.

@Hodor^ yup.

Edited by Crom!

Guest Gumballthechewy

They have definitely made him into some kind of a knight in shining armour type in the show. He was a little less likable in the book. Character development has been pretty stagnant with show Tyrion since like, Blackwater.

I don't mind if they stray a little from the books in this regard, personally.

I see you've nearly caught up. Good job.

@Hodor^ yup.

I am also reading the books too, slowly... :P I don't have much free time to sit and read a book. I'll have plenty more time in the winter though, I don't work in the winter.

showTheon torturer or bookTheon torturer?

(phrasing it as such to not spoil it for little Gum)

Uhh, I was agreeing with you in regards to Tyrion's character development, not the Theon torturer (haven't read much about him yet). Edited by Crom!

Guest Gumballthechewy

Wow.... :blink:

What a wedding.....

Poor Grey Wind.... I swear it brought a tear to my eye.... :sadno:

Edited by Gumballthechewy

Guest Gumballthechewy

That initial part with the stabbing in the stomach made me gasp out loud. And yeah, definitely teared up with the Arya/Grey Wind bit...

Yeah, that part where they Rambo her stomach was actually quite brutal...

It's weird how they tossed Jeyne out and made up Talisa out of nowhere...

tumblr_mnu64i9wGp1qhgqofo5_250.gif

That last bit where Grey Wind is slowly closing his eyes just gets me....

It's weird but I find it harder to watch the direwolfs get killed than any character.

Me too my friend... me too....

Edited by Gumballthechewy