The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Not a fan of the casting of Mance Rayder personally.

BOOK SPOILER'S:

I saw from the trailer that they're bringing Theon's part in A Feast for Crows into this Season, personally can't wait

I pictured The King Beyond The Wall as a much younger guy, maybe 30? 35? Oh well. Say, does anybody else see that GoT is a soap opera? It's a soap opera, right? Cut through the fantasy/HBO stuff, that's just setting and tone. Plotwise, it's a soap opera, I thought so even reading the books, I thought, "this reads more like a script than a novel," you can tell Martin was a screenwriter before he wrote it. The way he kills people off, then brings them back, the whole "powerful families vie for dominance" angle...classic soap opera stuff. I don't mean that as a put-down, I love that stuff.

I pictured The King Beyond The Wall as a much younger guy, maybe 30? 35? Oh well. Say, does anybody else see that GoT is a soap opera? It's a soap opera, right? Cut through the fantasy/HBO stuff, that's just setting and tone. Plotwise, it's a soap opera, I thought so even reading the books, I thought, "this reads more like a script than a novel," you can tell Martin was a screenwriter before he wrote it. The way he kills people off, then brings them back, the whole "powerful families vie for dominance" angle...classic soap opera stuff. I don't mean that as a put-down, I love that stuff.

Plotwise its not a soap opera. The plot is actually good. The only Soap Opera element is that their are multiple, co-current intersecting storylines.

And the books only read like a script if you've never seen a script before in your life.

• Upvote 1

Not bad at all. I hate having to wait every week for new episodes. I don't know why, but I find Davos extremely boring.

I loved his chapters in the books. It seems like they are missing a lot of his story so that he just looks like Stannis' bitch.

Ive got such a girlcrush on Danerys its not even funny. I'm a Targaryan supporter.

Cant support the Lannisters obviously and the starks are chasing their own tails. I've read the books so Ill say no more but can't wait for episode 9 ...lol thats all Ill say

nvm just read that it is confirmed for episode 9...

Edited by Nevlach

I loved his chapters in the books. It seems like they are missing a lot of his story so that he just looks like Stannis' bitch.

Totally agree. I love Davos in the books and at least the actor is portraying him as I pictured, but there is just something missing in the feel of the character in the show - can't put my finger on it. Maybe in time....

The GOT episode last night "Dark Wings, Dark Words" has to rank as about a 9.0 on the DULL SCALE - one of the worst episodes thus far in the series IMHO. As one reviewer put it quite succinctly it was "a themeless pudding" of an episode that meanders all over the place.

The sliver lining - it can only get better next week with "Walk of Punishment", eh?

The best scenes?

Hands down... when Lady Olenna, the Queen of Thorns (played wonderfully by Dame Diana Rigg) has sit down with Margaery and Sansa and after dismissing the her husband and son as oafs gets Sansa to say what she really thinks of her rotten little ex-fiancé, Joffrey. He is a monster and Olenna responds "Hmm. That's a pity.". BTW for those who have read the books this scene is lifted pretty much straight out. For Margaery forewarned is forearmed as she does a little sexual byplay by way of the King's new crossbow. And there is more foreshadowing of an all out cat fight between Cersei and Margaery over who controls Joffrey.

The Shae and Tyrion scene in his chambers was good as she taunts him and Shae telling Tyrion that they need to shield Sansa from Little Finger. As was Brienne giving Jaime a lesson in sword fighting.

But the rest... not up to par but we did catch up the story lines with Arya and Theon with the first appearance of Theon's mysterious captor. (not sorry to see the little weasel tortured) as well as Bran and his dreams with the introduction of new characters Jojen Reed (a dreamer like Bran - Yoda to Bran's Luke Skywalker perhaps??) and his sister Meera who acts as his bodyguard mirroring the relationship between Bran and Osha. OK Bran... BE THE RAVEN!!!

And Caetlyn's mea culpa speech over her inability to accept and love Jon Snow the bastard child of Ned Stark just did not really ring true.

Next episode promo - "Walk of Punishment"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSrJ4qOGZ8

The GOT episode last night "Dark Wings, Dark Words" has to rank as about a 9.0 on the DULL SCALE - one of the worst episodes thus far in the series IMHO.  As one reviewer put it quite succinctly it was "a themeless pudding" of an episode that meanders all over the place.  

The sliver lining - it can only get better next week with "Walk of Punishment", eh?

The best scenes?

Hands down... when Lady Olenna, the Queen of Thorns (played wonderfully by Dame Diana Rigg) has sit down with Margaery and Sansa and after dismissing the her husband and son as oafs gets Sansa to say what she really thinks of her rotten little ex-fiancé, Joffrey.  He is a monster and Olenna responds "Hmm. That's a pity.". BTW for those who have read the books this scene is lifted pretty much straight out.   For Margaery forewarned is forearmed as she does a little sexual byplay by way of the King's new crossbow. And there is more foreshadowing of an all out cat fight between Cersei and Margaery over who controls Joffrey.

The Shae and Tyrion scene in his chambers was good as she taunts him and Shae telling Tyrion that they need to shield Sansa from Little Finger. As was Brienne giving Jaime a lesson in sword fighting.

But the rest... not up to par but we did catch up the story lines with Arya and Theon with the first appearance of Theon's mysterious captor. (not sorry to see the little weasel tortured) as well as Bran and his dreams with the introduction of new characters Jojen Reed (a dreamer like Bran - Yoda to Bran's Luke Skywalker perhaps??) and his sister Meera who acts as his bodyguard mirroring the relationship between Bran and Osha.  OK Bran... BE THE RAVEN!!!

And Caetlyn's mea culpa speech over her inability to accept and love Jon Snow the bastard child of Ned Stark just did not really ring true.

Next episode promo -  "Walk of Punishment"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSrJ4qOGZ8

That was one of the more boring episodes so far...

...definitely agree about Lady Olenna and Catelyn's little speech.

Looking forward to meeting VH and his Brave Companions...