The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

When she says challenging scenes in season 1 and some new ones in season 3, I hope she was talking about her nude scenes.

I hear she's got a no nude clause now

There something off about her, like her eyes are too far apart, but she pulls it off.

(Just like she "pulled it off" during that Renly scene, amirite?)

Elbows are also too pointy

Elbows are also too pointy

She's hot right now but you can tell she won't age well.

I understand why they did it but the ages for the characters are all so misrepresented hahah. Robb and Jon are 14, Sansa is 13 I think, you can hardly tell.

I guess they could add nude scenes, but in the book there is no reason for her to be naked this season. And as far as challenging for season 3, she actually went into detail and explained what she meant... lol

Not sure why you have to laugh at me for making such a minor mistake.

She's hot right now but you can tell she won't age well.

I understand why they did it but the ages for the characters are all so misrepresented hahah. Robb and Jon are 14, Sansa is 13 I think, you can hardly tell.

Robb and Jon are 16 by the time of the RW.

Not sure why you have to laugh at me for making such a minor mistake.

I don't think you made a mistake at all, her explanation does little to quash the rumours, in fact she makes it sound like a group "event". Not to mention books made into films (or TV in this case) are hardly interpreted verbatim.

No matter, she is a smokeshow on screen with or without clothes.

I don't think Marjorie is particularly good looking aside from her litheness. I don't really like girls who talk out of one side of their face.

However, she does seem quite naughty.

And that's enough for me.

I think she looks a lot better on screen rather than in a still image, if that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, Emilia Clarke is smokin'.

I find it quite interesting how their accents differ so much from their characters considering there isn't a lot of continuity for the accents in the show.

For example, Jon Stark has a north-midlands accent, slightly nasally (Blackburn?) whereas the actor is Scottish. However no one else from Winterfell uses that accent. Ned Stark had more of a Yorkshire accent, I think. Jon Snow waivers in and out of a slight Northumbrian accent.

The interesting one in the video above for me is Nicolaj Coster-Waldau. He pulls of a very good Middlesex accent in the show but reverts to his Dutch affected English when speaking normally. It fascinates me that he doesn't adopt it as his voice.

They do a good North/South divide but it isn't always coherent.

I don't think Marjorie is particularly good looking aside from her litheness. I don't really like girls who talk out of one side of their face.

However, she does seem quite naughty.

And that's enough for me.

You're welcome to express your opinion, but you're wrong and I hate you.

I think she is probably the finest thing on TV currently. I don't care if she spoke out of her rectum, I'd still be all over that.

The last episode "Walk of Punishment" was vast improvement over the prior episode. Mind you given the stultifying pace of the prior episode a video of paint drying may have been about as exciting.

And the ending has a shocking twist that changes one character forever.

The funeral of Caetlyn's father Hoster Tully, Lord of Riverun was one set piece and had a couple of great scenes.

The scene with Robb Stark and his uncle Edmure Tully, the new Lord of Riverrun upon the death of his father (younger brother of his mother) and with Caetlyn's uncle , Brynden “Blackfish” Tully looking on was excellent. Edmure was all puffed up because he had won a battle and taken a mill rather than following Robb's orders to not engage the enemy. As he was preening Robb walked up to him, got in his face and told Edmure that his failure to follow orders had resulted in the escape of an army led by Gregor Clegane that Robb intended to encircle and destroy who were then able to withdraw from the trap before it could be sprung. "I could have had that head on a spike by now, instead I have a mill," Robb says disparagingly. Pretty clearly the next time Lord Edmure chooses to not follow orders may well be the last breath he draws. Robb Stark was looking very dangerous.

And when we next encounter Edmure it is on the dock as his father's funeral barge is pushed off on the river. It is his duty to fire a flaming arrow into the barge as the current takes the barge and cremate his father. O f course he flubs it in spectacular fashion after several attempts and as the barge is about to disappear around a bend in the river, Brynden “Blackfish” Tully pushes him aside, grabs the bow, lights an arrow, checks the windage and distance and makes spectacular shot just as the barge is about to slip from view. Caetlyn is glaring at Edmure while Robb allows himself a smirk.

a_560x375.jpg

And another humorous scene takes place in the new Small Council Chamber at King's Landing where Tywin, now the Hand of the King is waiting at the head of the table with all the chairs arranged to his left. Varys, Littlefinger and Pycelle enter and are little nonplussed before scrambling to secure their places at the table. Littlefinger literally leaps in front of Varys to get the chair immediately to Tywin's left, Varys takes the next one and Pycelle dodders to the third chair. As Cersei now enters she surveys the scene, grabs a chair and moves it around the table to sit at Tywin's right hand. Meanwhile Tyrion has entered and watched his sister's performance. He carefully considers the seating arrangements but these are huge chairs. Tyrion tilts back the empty chair and slowly and obnoxiously drags it across the floor -- sarcastically mocking the jockeying for position that has just transpired -- and then places his chair at the opposing end of the table from Tywin. Absolutely priceless. And perhaps a play on the show's title - A Game of Thrones.

At the meeting Tywin sends Littlefinger off to become a lord by marrying Caetlyn's nutty sister (the one breastfeeding her older son) and cause problems for Robb Stark and names Tyrion Littlefinger's replacement in the thankless accounting job, loftily titled Master of Coin.

Game-of-Thrones-Walk-of-Punishment-640x420.jpg

game-of-thrones-3.03-walk-of-punishment-chairs.png

Meanwhile back on the road after the capture of Jaime Lannister and Brienne after their abortive sword fight on the bridge last episode (sword fightus interruptus???) where she was beating him, they are now bound together as prisoners of the men from House Bolton. We get some nice byplay as Jaime makes excuses for his losing performance in the swordfight and Briene gives a good as she gets back. Suddenly Jaime switches gears and tells Brienne that she's going to get raped tonight by their captors and he advises her not to resist - his advice is "Close your eyes pretend they're Renly," Some well-written dialogue.

Game_Of_Thrones_-_Walk_Of_Punishment_-_Brienne_and_Jaime.jpg

And the show's title? Meanwhile back with Danaerys Targaryen and the slave master in the city of Astapor - he has created a scenic attraction called The Walk of Punishment where disobedient slaves are crucified for public display which horrifies her.

game-of-thrones-3.03-walk-of-punishment-dany.png

Then back to negotiation for her slave army, She wants all 8,000 unsullied AND the ones in training . "I will have all or take none," - not enough money so how about a dragon - she has three after all? They barter: "Three." "One." "Two." "One." Sold to the sleazy slave trader and he throws in the translator as a nice parting gift. All this over the objections of her advisors Ser Barristan and Ser Jorah. "You'll win the throne with dragons, not slaves!" Then in scene reminiscent of the Godfather where Vito tells Sonny to never argue in front of strangers, she makes it clear who is really running the show.

And because we missed the usual dose of nudity last week, there is a brothel scene where Tyrion and Bronn pick up Littlefinger's financial ledgers - what does not every accountant keep them there??? Tyrion also decides while in the brothel to reward his squire Podrick with three of the top ladies in the brothel as a gift for having saved his life during the Battle of Blackwater. As a bag of gold is tossed to the ladies on the way out and Broon offers a word of advice to the obviously inexperienced Podrick - "Pace yourself lad," Bronn advises helpfully.

Tyrion then reviews the ledgers and realizes that Littlefinger has them horrendously in debt to the Iron Bank of Braavos. Bronn's advice, just do not repay the loan and Tyrion remarks that is precisely why Tyrion does not loan him money.

And the follow-up scene the next day Podrick returns and tosses the bag of gold to Tyrion who says that was his to pay for the services of the three ladies. Did he not partake of the gifts?? Nope he did but after they refused payment. Tyrion and Bronn as regular patrons of such services are stunned and both are clear this has never happened to them. They then sit Podrick down and begin to question him as to exactly what occurred - scene fades out.

Meanwhile Theon is rescued by the mysterious stranger from the torture device in the castle and escapes on horseback but is recaptured. Just as one of the captors is about to do "something unnatural that couldn't possibly result in children" (as Margaery would say) to Theon, the stranger reappears and dispatches the captors.

The final scene back to the woods where Jaime and Briene are tied up as captives and the men come for Brienne. She's apparently decided to resist -- she screams and struggles as they carry her off and gets in a terrific headbutt. "You know who she is don't you?" Jaime says spins a story that Brienne is from "the sapphire isle" and her father would pay her weight in gemstones to see her returned "unbesmirched." Jaime then explains "unbesmirched" means "not defiled." Being condescending is a huge mistake for Jaime to make but it does result in Brienne being brought back to the fire "unbesmirched". It seems Jaime has developed grudging admiration for her and is trying to protect her as best he can in the circumstances.

Seeing that it worked once, Jaime goes for twice -- dangling his own father's wealth in exchange for his freedom. Then he tries to play his captor three times -- attempting to convince him to unlock his chains. It seems to work as Jaime is unchained and brought to a tree stump where it seems he is about to eat a meal.

No such luck as his captor fed up with his airs and arrogance says "You think you're the smartest man there is. You're nothing without your daddy and your daddy ain't here." And Jaime instead of saying something to mollify him just smiles... and whack Jaime's sword hand is chopped off in a rather startling conclusion to this episode as the screen fades to black.

Next week: "And Now His Watch Is Ended"

Much better-looking that Marjorie, imo. Don't hate me, colon deeeeee

I can't get the image of one of her front teeth being longer than the other out of my head.

It's basically ruined her for me.