1680 replies to this topic

#31 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

I never read the book (might have to eventually) and I think the show has been splendid so far.

The first three episodes have been a little "slow", but I don't blame them since there is a lot of characters and stories they need to touch on and show the viewer.
Posted Image

#32 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

I think I am going to restart them this week so I am ready for the new one in the summer

#33 TheGuyOnTheBuffalo

TheGuyOnTheBuffalo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Can someone please list the books in this series. The only fantasy series i have read is the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series. I loved the books but the show they made was a fing joke. Will i enjoy this series Of books in comparision to Goodkinds? I have the first 3 ep. on the pvr but may want to read the books before watching.

#34 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia....of_Ice_and_Fire

A Game of Thrones (1996)
A Clash of Kings (1999)
A Storm of Swords (2000)
A Feast for Crows (2005)
A Dance with Dragons (2011)

#35 TheGuyOnTheBuffalo

TheGuyOnTheBuffalo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

<br /><a href='http://en.wikipedia....of_Ice_and_Fire' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia....;/a><br /><br /><br />A Game of Thrones (1996)<br />A Clash of Kings (1999)<br />A Storm of Swords (2000)<br />A Feast for Crows (2005)<br />A Dance with Dragons (2011)<br />

&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br /><br />Thank you

Edited by DirtRiderRM250, 06 May 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#36 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

I have episode 2 and 3 on DVR, just haven't had the time to watch. Been sick pretty much this whole week actually.

Posted Image

#37 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

I think I am going to restart them this week so I am ready for the new one in the summer

I just finished reading them for a second time through (just in time for the series to start). I'm amazed at how much of the 4th book I forgot. And I'd gotten some of the chronology mixed up (thought some things that happened in the second book happened in the third, and vice-versa).

I have episode 2 and 3 on DVR, just haven't had the time to watch. Been sick pretty much this whole week actually.

Isn't sick time usually TV time? When you don't feel like getting up off the couch to do anything?

I've watched all three episodes but haven't been able to delete them from the DVR yet. I might have a GoT marathon day one of these days.

#38 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

I never read the book (might have to eventually) and I think the show has been splendid so far.

The first three episodes have been a little "slow", but I don't blame them since there is a lot of characters and stories they need to touch on and show the viewer.

It's a monumental task to bring viewers into this world as the character list and backstory is massive, and basically all of the characters have great depth. The book does a better job as it's not constrained to 1 hour segments. But then that's always the case for books vs screen.

Can someone please list the books in this series. The only fantasy series i have read is the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series. I loved the books but the show they made was a fing joke. Will i enjoy this series Of books in comparision to Goodkinds? I have the first 3 ep. on the pvr but may want to read the books before watching.

Goodkind is practically illiterate compared to Martin. The books are definitely worth reading, even if the series acts as a spoiler. Perhaps that is too harsh, but with Goodkind he seems to have alternated between good book/terrible book. His characters and situations are just too unbelievable sometimes. I'm referring to the capitalism/vs communism themed ones.

@sixwings Finally!!!! If there's not a heavy dose of Arya and Snow like promised I'm going to show up on his doorstep.

@Starbug I agree re: casting is excellent! Only one I don't like so far is Syrio. Would have preferred someone with more grace, but perhaps that's more a problem with choreography. I'd list off the castings I especially like, but the list is too long. Everyone looks exactly like I'd expected... except Payne.

Edited by suolucidir, 06 May 2011 - 05:07 PM.

PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#39 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

@sixwings Finally!!!! If there's not a heavy dose of Arya and Snow like promised I'm going to show up on his doorstep.

Don't forget Daenerys! I hated her storyline at first, but now I want to see - well, read - more.

@Starbug I agree re: casting is excellent! Only one I don't like so far is Syrio. Would have preferred someone with more grace, but perhaps that's more a problem with choreography. I'd list off the castings I especially like, but the list is too long. Everyone looks exactly like I'd expected... except Payne.

Syrio was fine. Payne is a little less intimidating than I expected. And the Hound could have used a little more make-up, IMO. But I suppose I could have expected the scars to be much worse because he was introduced via the children's point of view (would seem much scarier to the kids than to the adults).

#40 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:14 AM

Was kind of underwhelmed with this last episode.

I knew that "The Mountain..."'s appearance was coming up and I was stoked for it but that, yawn.
Already sick of Littlefinger but I am liking Jon Snow and Bran more every episode.

The end with Lady Stark was kinda cool though.

#41 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

I want to see Danerys win the iron throne, and kill her brother.
God I hate Viseys
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#42 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

Isn't sick time usually TV time? When you don't feel like getting up off the couch to do anything?

I've watched all three episodes but haven't been able to delete them from the DVR yet. I might have a GoT marathon day one of these days.

Yea it's a weird intestinal infection...

It's too irritating for me to focus on other things, plus the constant vomiting. I'll watch them over the weekend.

Posted Image

#43 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

Ned's revelation was interesting. It looks to me like he's put it together that the "boy prince" is the incestuous son of the queen and her brother, the dandy.

Though, he can't jump to the conclusion of incest, he could conclude that Joffrey is not a true son and heir of the King.

That's probably why the older hands end up being killed for looking up the bastard sons.

Posted Image

#44 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

When I saw that the episode was named A Golden Crown, I knew what was coming. Glad to finally be rid of him.
I was starting to warm up to TV Sansa but man, what a bitch. Why does everyone get naked except her?

It's been awhile since I had read the books, but I seem to recall something happened on the King's hunt, maybe that is next episode...

#45 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

When I saw that the episode was named A Golden Crown, I knew what was coming. Glad to finally be rid of him.
I was starting to warm up to TV Sansa but man, what a bitch. Why does everyone get naked except her?

It's been awhile since I had read the books, but I seem to recall something happened on the King's hunt, maybe that is next episode...

The closing scene of the last episode was so satisfying...good to finally see it. For the most part, everything's been really well done so far. I've watched everything up to episode 5 twice now, as I got my dad hooked while he was out visiting. Unfortunately he doesn't have HBO at home so he'll have to wait until he moves back to the coast this summer to see the rest.

I was disappointed with the hunting scene. The king is out hunting boar with...a member of the kingsguard, a squire, and his brother? No horses? No hounds? No retinue? Really? And yes, there's more to come on the hunt.

I was also a bit disappointed with the scene with Bran and the wildlings - where were the direwolves??? I get that the dogs they're working with are difficult to train, but the wolves were a big part of that scene. Here's hoping they're working closely with the dogs for next season.

Episode 7 was available last weekend to American subscribers of HBOGO (at the expense of no new episode this weekend) and from what I've read it's another action-packed episode. Lots of stuff at the wall, and we finally get to meet Tywin.

#46 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

Absolutely love this show.
Finnished reading book 1, on to book 2.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#47 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

Just saw the new episode...
SO PISSED at littlefinger. And Khal Drogo's speech made my pants tight.

So glad that it's been a few years since reading it. Everything is half-surprise/half-remembrance

#48 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:23 AM

Crazy episode today:

Spoiler

#49 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

Great episode last night! Well, it was a sad episode, but it was put together very well.

I'm really looking forward to the finale next week.

#50 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

The finale was great!

I thought they did a fantastic job of the CGI work at the end. I was a little worried about how it would turn out, but it looked pretty good to me.

(don't open the spoiler if you don't know the ending of the book)

Spoiler

#51 Femme.Canuck

Femme.Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

I have got to say that this show is one of the best-- if not the best-- shows on TV. Its got everything-- intrigue, character development, emotion, mystery etc...

Neds episode was really difficult to watch. I knew it was coming up but I guess I was in denial about it. Sean Beans really had it rough though, first as Boromir and now Ned. Boooo! :P

The finale was spectacular... I was weary about how they'd put everything together, but the CGI was great. Cannot wait till spring 2012 and especially, till the next book is released!

Edited by P.OneOh, 21 June 2011 - 10:31 PM.

One City. One Team. One Dream.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

#52 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

Haha, the internet erupted from fan reaction following the death of Ned. I think everybody was caught completely off guard. I must admit, although I suspected Jason Momoa would not have an extended part in the series, I was still saddened to see Drogo get killed off as well. Season 1 concluded with 2 of my favorite characters dying; fortunately, the show is so superb regardless. Also, the actor who plays that little crap, Joffrey, has done a brilliant job with the character.

2012 seems too far away right now.

#53 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:52 AM

Let's hope HBO can keep up with the CGI. I think they left out the battles to add that in. Also that scene with Jon and the Watch riding through the wall was very well done along with the Robb and "King of the North" part.

Posted Image

#54 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

HBO did a great job with the first season. Awesomely awesome. Been watching with someone new to the series, and she's been able to follow *most* of what's happening. There's a lot of information being crammed into what.. 10 hours of footage?

So...

Dance with Dragons released!

Edited by suolucidir, 12 July 2011 - 05:12 PM.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#55 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

I'm just sitting down to start A Dance with Dragons now!

I had my boyfriend pick it up while I was at work; I almost wished I had asked him to drop it off a work so I could read it on my lunch break and on the bus ride home. I'm not going to be terribly social until I get this book finished.

#56 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:53 AM

I watched the first few episodes of this show and knew I had to read the books. I've got through three already. They are really, really good. That said, it annoys me the people compare them to Tolkien. They are nothing like Tolkien. Tolkien's gift was for myth-making and language, Martin's is for plot and characterization. Martin's books have way more in common with Herbert's Dune Saga, that's what I immediately thought of when the Starks started dying, it was just like when they killed off the Atreides in Dune.

Also did you know there's a character in the books named Dickon Manwoody? Really? I had to stop reading and go outside to laugh it off.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#57 Starbug

Starbug

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

So I finished A Dance with Dragons on Sunday... When's the next book due out? :P

#58 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

So I finished A Dance with Dragons on Sunday... When's the next book due out? :P

At his current pace? April 2017...

Seriously hope that with the first season done - spectacularly, I might add - his writing/publishing pace improves. I haven't yet started DwD as I need to re-read some books to refresh my memory. I started Clash of Kings after the series ended and I had forgotten what a terrific writer he is.

#59 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

At his current pace? April 2017...

Seriously hope that with the first season done - spectacularly, I might add - his writing/publishing pace improves. I haven't yet started DwD as I need to re-read some books to refresh my memory. I started Clash of Kings after the series ended and I had forgotten what a terrific writer he is.

I think he will. What happened was that he was planning on having a 10 year gap between books and 3 and 4, basically wrote a bunch of books doing that, realized it sucked and started all over.

I think we can expect a book every 1-2 years.
Posted Image

#60 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

I hope so. I started feast of crows last night and plan on buying dance with dragons today. Storm of swords was the best so far. Amazing developments. I can wait till season 2. heard they casted the parts of stannis and melissandre today. Cant wait to see who they get to play davos the onion knight
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.