The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Isn't sick time usually TV time? When you don't feel like getting up off the couch to do anything?

I've watched all three episodes but haven't been able to delete them from the DVR yet. I might have a GoT marathon day one of these days.

Yea it's a weird intestinal infection...

It's too irritating for me to focus on other things, plus the constant vomiting. I'll watch them over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Ned's revelation was interesting. It looks to me like he's put it together that the "boy prince" is the incestuous son of the queen and her brother, the dandy.

Though, he can't jump to the conclusion of incest, he could conclude that Joffrey is not a true son and heir of the King.

That's probably why the older hands end up being killed for looking up the bastard sons.

When I saw that the episode was named A Golden Crown, I knew what was coming. Glad to finally be rid of him.

I was starting to warm up to TV Sansa but man, what a bitch. Why does everyone get naked except her?

It's been awhile since I had read the books, but I seem to recall something happened on the King's hunt, maybe that is next episode...

When I saw that the episode was named A Golden Crown, I knew what was coming. Glad to finally be rid of him.

I was starting to warm up to TV Sansa but man, what a bitch. Why does everyone get naked except her?

It's been awhile since I had read the books, but I seem to recall something happened on the King's hunt, maybe that is next episode...

The closing scene of the last episode was so satisfying...good to finally see it. For the most part, everything's been really well done so far. I've watched everything up to episode 5 twice now, as I got my dad hooked while he was out visiting. Unfortunately he doesn't have HBO at home so he'll have to wait until he moves back to the coast this summer to see the rest.

I was disappointed with the hunting scene. The king is out hunting boar with...a member of the kingsguard, a squire, and his brother? No horses? No hounds? No retinue? Really? And yes, there's more to come on the hunt.

I was also a bit disappointed with the scene with Bran and the wildlings - where were the direwolves??? I get that the dogs they're working with are difficult to train, but the wolves were a big part of that scene. Here's hoping they're working closely with the dogs for next season.

Episode 7 was available last weekend to American subscribers of HBOGO (at the expense of no new episode this weekend) and from what I've read it's another action-packed episode. Lots of stuff at the wall, and we finally get to meet Tywin.

Just saw the new episode...

SO PISSED at littlefinger. And Khal Drogo's speech made my pants tight.

So glad that it's been a few years since reading it. Everything is half-surprise/half-remembrance

• 3 weeks later...

The finale was great!

I thought they did a fantastic job of the CGI work at the end. I was a little worried about how it would turn out, but it looked pretty good to me.

(don't open the spoiler if you don't know the ending of the book)

daenerys-dragon.jpg

daenerys-dragon.gif

I have got to say that this show is one of the best-- if not the best-- shows on TV. Its got everything-- intrigue, character development, emotion, mystery etc...

Neds episode was really difficult to watch. I knew it was coming up but I guess I was in denial about it. Sean Beans really had it rough though, first as Boromir and now Ned. Boooo! :P

The finale was spectacular... I was weary about how they'd put everything together, but the CGI was great. Cannot wait till spring 2012 and especially, till the next book is released!

Edited by P.OneOh

Haha, the internet erupted from fan reaction following the death of Ned. I think everybody was caught completely off guard. I must admit, although I suspected Jason Momoa would not have an extended part in the series, I was still saddened to see Drogo get killed off as well. Season 1 concluded with 2 of my favorite characters dying; fortunately, the show is so superb regardless. Also, the actor who plays that little crap, Joffrey, has done a brilliant job with the character.

2012 seems too far away right now.

• 3 weeks later...

HBO did a great job with the first season. Awesomely awesome. Been watching with someone new to the series, and she's been able to follow *most* of what's happening. There's a lot of information being crammed into what.. 10 hours of footage?

So...

Dance with Dragons released!

Edited by suolucidir

I'm just sitting down to start A Dance with Dragons now!

I had my boyfriend pick it up while I was at work; I almost wished I had asked him to drop it off a work so I could read it on my lunch break and on the bus ride home. I'm not going to be terribly social until I get this book finished.

I watched the first few episodes of this show and knew I had to read the books. I've got through three already. They are really, really good. That said, it annoys me the people compare them to Tolkien. They are nothing like Tolkien. Tolkien's gift was for myth-making and language, Martin's is for plot and characterization. Martin's books have way more in common with Herbert's Dune Saga, that's what I immediately thought of when the Starks started dying, it was just like when they killed off the Atreides in Dune.

Also did you know there's a character in the books named Dickon Manwoody? Really? I had to stop reading and go outside to laugh it off.

So I finished A Dance with Dragons on Sunday... When's the next book due out? :P

At his current pace? April 2017...

Seriously hope that with the first season done - spectacularly, I might add - his writing/publishing pace improves. I haven't yet started DwD as I need to re-read some books to refresh my memory. I started Clash of Kings after the series ended and I had forgotten what a terrific writer he is.

At his current pace? April 2017...

Seriously hope that with the first season done - spectacularly, I might add - his writing/publishing pace improves. I haven't yet started DwD as I need to re-read some books to refresh my memory. I started Clash of Kings after the series ended and I had forgotten what a terrific writer he is.

I think he will. What happened was that he was planning on having a 10 year gap between books and 3 and 4, basically wrote a bunch of books doing that, realized it sucked and started all over.

I think we can expect a book every 1-2 years.

I hope so. I started feast of crows last night and plan on buying dance with dragons today. Storm of swords was the best so far. Amazing developments. I can wait till season 2. heard they casted the parts of stannis and melissandre today. Cant wait to see who they get to play davos the onion knight