The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

don't know why people keep hating on the mother of dragons. i have no problem with her storyline.

slow development, the worst dialogue in the show, questionable cgi at times. compared to other characters in the show, she's utterly witless, not a whole lot of personality outside of 2 or 3 characteristics. with all the interesting stuff going on in the rest of the narrative, its kinda boring to spend 15 minutes watching her do the same thing she did two episodes ago, again

a personal pet peeve is how she's always shown looking over/standing in front of greenscreen landscapes. GoT CGI is good sometimes, questionable at others. always kind of annoys me when CGI is used for its own sake. dates the movie/show almost instantly. but that's just a personal distaste, as i said

Edited by GLASSJAW

No depth to Dany. Giving no consideration to the opinion of her advisors is very Joffrey-esque. She really has had no adversity in her quest. Sure, people around her have died, but everyone is always looking after her. The conquering of Mereen is basically following the same archetype of all other places she conquered.

I think I dislike Cersei more than Joffrey. I mean, Joffrey may have been more evil and sadistic than Cersei, but Cersei is such a bitch that I can't stand her scenes. With Joffrey I was always kind of entertained by his antics; Cersei is just horrible (that's a compliment to the actress, not a criticism).

The male Lannisters are the best characters for my money.

No depth to Dany. Giving no consideration to the opinion of her advisors is very Joffrey-esque. She really has had no adversity in her quest. Sure, people around her have died, but everyone is always looking after her. The conquering of Mereen is basically following the same archetype of all other places she conquered.

I think I dislike Cersei more than Joffrey. I mean, Joffrey may have been more evil and sadistic than Cersei, but Cersei is such a bitch that I can't stand her scenes. With Joffrey I was always kind of entertained by his antics; Cersei is just horrible (that's a compliment to the actress, not a criticism).

The male Lannisters are the best characters for my money.

i was laughing in yesterday's ep when his brother was talking about joffrey's cat-related threat

oh that joffrey

So during my rewatch I am theorizing that Sansa may kill Little Finger in the future. Though big picture I feel Little Finger is more powerful than Tywin now. Little finger knows what he wants but no one suspects him. He is being subtle with his movements and covering all tracks and has probably the best intel in all of Westeros where as Tywin has a full plate and doesn't see the biggest threat at all.

I also feel little finger has a bigger plan based on his dialogue. Not entirely common to the show they do not make a clean transition from scenes. Little fingers voice continues to speak well into Olenna's scene. He speaks of giving a gift and strengthening a relationship. Which makes me think he knew Olenna did not like Joffrey and he offered to help. Maybe he even knows entirely of their plans and feels he will gain from leverage over Tommen through the gift that helped make him king and the say of the future queens most respected subject over a reasonable king who is now advised to listen to those around him.

Plus I believe Varys once said he was the most dangerous man in the kingdom. Maybe I am reaching but little finger seems like a big game player.

I am also curious as to if Gilly's baby has any relevance. Sam and her seem like a dumb story line now but they keep getting screen time and in this episode they do give another one of Craster's babies to the walkers. Maybe Craster's babies alone hold a significance.

Jamie is a rapist. I still like him way more than Cersei.

Dany's seen did seem odd. The cities sacking was bizarre to me. They show 1 man get fun down and killed and then the next scene it is over. I was confused at first as to what was going on. But Dany is gonna Dany. Maybe for once in the entire show her wreckless behavior with the masters will have a consequence but I doubt it.

really? exact opposite of you, i put the books down because the story totally failed to grab me in that form. for me, it's actually more compelling as a tv show. seems cheap to dig at Martin "as a writer," given it is kinda trashy fantasy stuff, but i think the dialogue is cringe-worthy at times, and really great at others. i wonder if that's because Martin just writes cheesy stuff, or if its through novel-to-television translation where being concise is more important than being artful? do i really want to commit hours and hours to find out over the next 50,000 pages? idk

either way, when i hear people gruffly command "I FORBID YOU TO DIE" i can't help but roll my eyes lmao. but then tonight's episode had plenty of great exchanges that make me want to run and pick up the books.

anyway, thought tonight's episode was fantastic, minus the token awful dragon woman scene. really great atmosphere. great dialogue (as i said), and plenty to be excited for next week without there being some explicit cheap hook, a la breaking bad

Well in a similar reference the show itself got me more interested in the book. Had someone handed me the actual book before hand I wouldn't have been able to read it and would have quit early on. But with the show and a firm grasp of what is going on and knowing some differences it has me interested in seeing the other side of things which seem just as interesting. Watching also kills some of the bad dialogue a book may have as I can imagine all of the lines or scenarios in the scenes as if depicted by the actor or actresses mannerisms which helps.

In general though I feel like from what I know about the book some of the changes sounded more interest in the book and I am one who doesn't mind fantasy. In thinking about it though I may enjoy reading the book updates on the wiki up to date without spoilers more than actually reading the entire novels.

However I will say this. I watched a video review on IGN and they commented on how GRRM shared the ending of the books with the writers and has shared major unwritten events with actors and the writes obviously and with 2 more books coming and how long he takes to write it could be an early but accurate redirection that leads to the same point. That makes me feel more trusting in some of the major changes and unwritten script. In the past shows I have loved that were written as they went often disappointed me when they forced a cheesy ending. Knowing the ending well before always makes things flow better.

Since you are one who likes everything fresh you may not wish to click this but this was the IGN video

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/28/game-of-thrones-is-the-show-now-spoiling-the-books-ign-conversation

It has no official spoilers but compares some book differences and talks about unconfirmed fan theories and possible spoilers on how the show may be showing things that have not happened in the books yet. But it gave me more faith in the shows change of direction.

I almost cried when they hurt Hodor =(

Why are people so bad???!!!

Psh hurt. Hodor was all like, Hodor. Which translates to is this supposed to be pain? I am disapoint. He will release his inner giant blood and pound someone into the ground.

Well in a similar reference the show itself got me more interested in the book. Had someone handed me the actual book before hand I wouldn't have been able to read it and would have quit early on. But with the show and a firm grasp of what is going on and knowing some differences it has me interested in seeing the other side of things which seem just as interesting. Watching also kills some of the bad dialogue a book may have as I can imagine all of the lines or scenarios in the scenes as if depicted by the actor or actresses mannerisms which helps.

In general though I feel like from what I know about the book some of the changes sounded more interest in the book and I am one who doesn't mind fantasy. In thinking about it though I may enjoy reading the book updates on the wiki up to date without spoilers more than actually reading the entire novels.

I'm sure you will really enjoy the books, it's not even about seeing the "other" side of things, it's about seeing the best side of the things. If you enjoy the show and don't mind reading I guarantee you will love the books well beyond how you thought you would.

Edited by Beluga Whale

Daenerys was so much worse in this sequence this she was in the last one. This storyline seriously sucks. I went from intently watching it more so than others, to a long period of indifference, to downright hating it at this point. This latest city sacking is too much. I'm hoping she gets the Game of Thrones treatment and randomly has her life ended at an inopportune time in the near future, but I know that's not going to happen.

I'd say Jamie and Tyrion are 2 my favourite characters (especially Jamie after the last episode), but Jon Snow is really starting to grow on me now.

I have a very sneaking suspicion that my absolute favourite character in Dolorous Edd is going to meet his demise very soon though. RIP

Why did Locke take the black? Roose Bolton made him? To escape Tywin for what he did to Jaimie?

He was ordered by Roose to go "hunting" for Bran and Rickon.

Theon told the Bolton's that he did not kill them. It was a local miller's boys that he had killed and then claimed were Bran and Rickon, to cover up the fact that they had escaped.

(Some of you may remember an earlier episode, where the miller shows up at Winterfell. With Ned and Robb both gone, Bran is the acting Lord of WF and is holding court with Maester Luwin at his side. The miller asks for help with his place and is offered a couple of orphaned boys, if he will feed and raise them as his own.

He accepts gratefully, saying "We'll look after them Milord". These are the same two boys that Theon kills and then burns beyond recognition)

Locke is told that the Stark boys have a half brother at the wall. It seems like a likely place for them to go, so he begins his search there.

This story arc is a departure from the book series, so there is nothing to "spoil", but the Locke/Jon "friendship" is not likely to end well....

• Upvote 1

He was ordered by Roose to go "hunting" for Bran and Rickon.

Theon told the Bolton's that he did not kill them. It was a local miller's boys that he had killed and then claimed were Bran and Rickon, to cover up the fact that they had escaped.

(Some of you may remember an earlier episode, where the miller shows up at Winterfell. With Ned and Robb both gone, Bran is the acting Lord of WF and is holding court with Maester Luwin at his side. The miller asks for help with his place and is offered a couple of orphaned boys, if he will feed and raise them as his own.

He accepts gratefully, saying "We'll look after them Milord". These are the same two boys that Theon kills and then burns beyond recognition)

Locke is told that the Stark boys have a half brother at the wall. It seems like a likely place for them to go, so he begins his search there.

This story arc is a departure from the book series, so there is nothing to "spoil", but the Locke/Jon "friendship" is not likely to end well....

Right.

I suppose Locke is a great opportunist. Bolton will want the boys to stay dead.

I wonder if he'll be required by Roose Bolton to keep his sacred pledge afterwards. Assuming he lives.

Edited by theminister

So Jaime redeemed himself from the last episode?? love how he kept his promise to lady stark though, and had Brienne make an oath to find and protect Sansa. Seems as if most of the surviving Starks have some big protecters now, what with the Hound and Arya, Brienne & Sansa, (hopefully), who's is Brans?? Hodor LOL

Karl is awesome. His accent is fantastic. Joer Fooooookin Mormont. Foook em till there dead!

Spoiler: I reference a character in the book but not seen or yet seen in the show.

Wild Theory

The White Walker at the end has 12 blurred men behind him. Clearly the White Walker is Jesus and those are his 12 disciples and 1 shall betray him. That someone will be Coldhands *smirk*

If the Walkers are all taken as children specifically I will hypothesize that it is because they can be molded from birth easier and brain washed. Making it plausible that 1 of them eventually starts thinking outside of the box. Coldhands. =D

So Jaime redeemed himself from the last episode?? love how he kept his promise to lady stark though, and had Brienne make an oath to find and protect Sansa. Seems as if most of the surviving Starks have some big protecters now, what with the Hound and Arya, Brienne & Sansa, (hopefully), who's is Brans?? Hodor LOL

Call me a terrible person but I didn't care that Jamie raped Cersei he was still way more liked than her.

I don't think most Stark's are protected though. Brienne has to find Sansa first which seems highly unlikely and even if she does every time she vowed to protect someone (Renly and Cat) they always ended up dead. The Hound isn't really with Ayra he is just trying to ransom her. If I am not mistaken he should be fairly close to the Eyrie which means Ayra would be guarded by Cat's deranged breast feeding sister and Brans best protector was probably Summer but as of now likely himself since he can warg into human minds also. In theory he could warg into someones mind and free the Direwolves at night.

PS: If responding to me don't click my post as it will reveal the spoilers. (learned that the hard way). If you dont want to see them.

I didn't hate the Dany scene but I still have 0 interest in her story-line it's completely dead for me.

Everything else was good thing. Sansa's storyline is promising.

However Locke/Jon/Bran's storyline stole the show. That was amazing. First time in this show I am knowingly glad the writers changed the script from the book.

Is incest less frowned upon in Westeros or something?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the religion for Westeros (most of it anyway) is the Faith of the Seven which is strongly against incest. Similarly it is strongly against having children out of wedlock which is why Bastard children are given such a hard time as well as why Renly was so secretive about being homosexual as that is also condemned by the religion.

Though I know the Targaryens did it without caring. Dany is the most inbred character in the entire show (as well as her 2 dead brothers if you want to count the dead). A product of 3 centuries of heavy incest.