The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Did she pull that knife move off before? I've seen it somewhere but not sure where.

I believe with the same knife meant to kill Bran was used to save him and defeat the NK and WW. Jamie pushing Bran off the building in the first episode led to all of this.

33 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Are we allowed to talk about the episode / give spoilers?

Asking cuz it says not to in thread but there are posts such as the 2nd one above this that have.

I think anyone reading this thread without seeing the latest episode would be playing a dangerous game.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think anyone reading this thread without seeing the latest episode would be playing a dangerous game.

Cheers!

In that case, here are my spoiler thoughts on the episode !!

I like that the white walkers have been dealt with leaving it to be a human vs human battle for the throne and still a lot of unfinished business in those regards. However, I’m not buying that’s all that was to be of the Night King. So all this time he’s just some bad dude and even though a full episode was dedicated (fun fact: GOT surpassed LOTR [which is my fav movie series of alltime] for the longest continuous fight/battle scene in film history), it seems too good to be true...is that really it? We get left to know close to nothing about the Night King/white walkers or who he is and they’re gone forever? Not in my books, or at least I’m hoping not as that would be very underwhelming and disappointing. 

My bet is Cersei gets taken care of in the next episode / episode and a half and the Night King returns for half an episode or a full episode. It’d be epic if it happened on the final episode now that I think of it.

24 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

i wonder if Bran warged to the other dragon and dropped Arya in? More likely she disguised her self, death has many faces.

Definitely a few plot holes. Sam Tarly should be a gonner. Did Gendry die? I didnt notice.

Yea it was sweet but weird how she just gets by all the white walkers and gets a free uncontested dunk on the Night King haha.

Yea Sam is a little weasel. Edd saves his life, watches him die, and then turns his back and outruns the dead back to safety inside. Lol bs. Edit: and no Gendry did not die.

Edited by Generational.EP40

39 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

i wonder if Bran warged to the other dragon and dropped Arya in? More likely she disguised her self, death has many faces.

before she runs up to the Night King, they show a close up of the Night King's hencmnen, and his hair blows -- implying something runs by him. I think Arya literally just ran through the entrance and charged.

I get that they might not be Targaryans, but do we also ignore the flowing blonde hair of the Night King's henchmen? coincidence?

8 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Yea it was sweet but weird how she just gets by all the white walkers and gets a free uncontested dunk on the Night King haha.

Yea Sam is a little weasel. Edd saves his life, watches him die, and then turns his back and outruns the dead back to safety inside. Lol bs. Edit: and no Gendry did not die.

not really, i mean she spent all that time learning how to be sneaky for a reason. Plus they were arrogant, they thought they'd won and were focused on Bran.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Nah. He's from well before the Targs showed up in Westeros. I believe that is just his magical powers.  

We were given a bit of foreshadowing of this in the episode where the Army of the Dead have the cave of the Three Eyed Raven surrounded.

The Children of the Forest light a ring of fire (okay, a semi-circle) around the cave entrance and the NK and his Lieutenants just walk right through. The flames actually die down as he gets to them. Probably the result of the intense cold that surrounds him.

man a lot of salty in some of the reviews :P:lol:

I liked it. These shows can get stifled by the weight of so many characters and story lines that have to be tied off, I think they did a great job of it tbh.

Daenerys loses almost everything too to get the job done, that part hasn't been discussed much. Whats she left with? 

Also, why is Jon Snow so useless? guy seems to never know how to pick his spots. 

I get people weren't completely satisfied with the NK stuff, but its not Game of Night Kings. Yes it was an important story line but it wasn't the entire point of the show. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

how do we know this?

are we given an official timeline on the king himself? or the walkers? i know they're old, but i wasn't aware we knew any lineage or timeframe

We were shown in one of Bran's trips into the past with the 3ER...(that's my new acronym for him)

It shows the Children of the Forest (Leaf, specifically) "creating" the NK, thousands of years ago. As @Gnarcore pointed out, the Wall was raised to keep the WW out of the Seven Kingdoms.(after an alliance of the Children and the First Men drove the WW's North into the Land of Always Winter)

According to the lore, Bran the Builder erected the Wall some 8000 years ago.

The Targs are from Old Valyria. The NK is from the First Men. There's little if any chance they're related.

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

A lot of holes in the episode (every single main character was at one point up to their eyes against multiple white walkers and somehow survived... Did Jon fight off half the Dothraki white walker army on his own before being saved by the dragon?)

Renders the entire 2nd episode useless now, the whole point of them all being together "one last time" and singing songs and drinking and talking about memories was supposed to be like a "good bye to your favourite character episode".  If any of them now die in the fight against Cersei, it's like "oh you could survive against hundreds of thousands of zombies but couldn't survive against Lannisters?"

But Arya with the ultimate mic drop. 

A bit of a give away with the "You will close blue eyes" line, but I didn't think she'd end the NK herself, I thought she'd play a pivotal part in maybe killing his 2nd in command and one of the other major characters then finishes off the NK. Man she's so bad a*s. 

Where did she come from? Did it have something to do with where Bran 'went' all episode? The NK's associated looked over his associate as "what's that up there?" and look at how high the NK caught her, she definitely jumped off of something..someone? 

I too am surprised that after 7 years of "Winter is coming" and the build up to the fight against the dead, the fight is over that quick. 1 night. 7 years of build up for 1 night of fighting and not even a cool fight scene with the NK against Jon or someone (the dragon sky fight doesn't count).

I think too people are trying to make Arya's appearance into something "magical", (Bran's warging power, etc) but I think Jimmy hit on it. Arya is able to move silently and quickly. Couple that with the fact that the NK and his henchmen think they've won, it's easy to see a small girl slipping past them.

We're kind of told that this is coming when Red Mel quotes Syrio: "What do we say to the God of Death?"....Arya replies "Not today" and is off and running. It was at that point she knew where she needed to be....

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Visually that was spectacular but a little cheesy how it all played out imo.  

not sure how else it could have gone. The whole white walker dead army thing is a simple brute force attack, there wasn't any subtlety possible from that end. I guess they could have put a bit more mystery into laying the trap for the NK but I think thats a part where previous storylines, etc. kind of paints them into a corner. 

The only thing that had a chance of working was doing something that a brute force attack wouldn't notice, a smallish girl/young woman sneaking up on them. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

It’s also in Star Wars: The Last Jedi when Rey is fighting in the throne room against all the guards. 

At least Arya had training in the heh ninja arts.  Mary Sue Rey learned that maneuver from who?  All she got from Luke was how to suck that blue milk from the creature.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I believe with the same knife meant to kill Bran was used to save him and defeat the NK and WW. Jamie pushing Bran off the building in the first episode led to all of this.

Correct. The knife that Littlefinger gave the assassin and lied about being Tyrion's. (Basically starting the War of the Five Kings)

The same knife that Arya used to cut his throat......

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

before she runs up to the Night King, they show a close up of the Night King's hencmnen, and his hair blows -- implying something runs by him. I think Arya literally just ran through the entrance and charged.

I get that they might not be Targaryans, but do we also ignore the flowing blonde hair of the Night King's henchmen? coincidence?

Don't forget that the Night King "makes" his Lieutenants out of Craster's Bastards....(That's going to be the name of my next band)