The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

2 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Is it wrong for me to say Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards did a better job of capturing the feel of an epic battle. I will rewatch it tonight but I thought most of the battle was too dark, murky and blurry. Still was an epic episode but there certainly was more left to be desired.

I thought Ths BOB was far better than last night.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Why did they send that girl, I believe Lady Castark(sp?), along with Theon to Bran?  I guess Umber, Castark and Mormont are all but done.  Also what happen to that big guy from the Vale, Royce?(by the way I had no idea his son was one of the Crows killed in the pilot episode.)  

No idea what happened to Yohn Royce. The one who was killed by Walkers was Waymar, Yohn's son.

The Karstark you're referring to was Alys, the Lady of the house, now that both Rickard and Harald are dead. No idea why she went with the Ironborn to the Godswood.

Didn't realize this, but according to an article I read (and apparently confirmed by Benioff) the spot where Arya killed the Night King is the same spot where he was "created" by Leaf" thousands of years earlier....

Also, Arya had to stab him in the exact spot where the dragonglass blade was pushed into his chest.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Didn't realize this, but according to an article I read (and apparently confirmed by Benioff) the spot where Arya killed the Night King is the same spot where he was "created" by Leaf" thousands of years earlier....

Also, Arya had to stab him in the exact spot where the dragonglass blade was pushed into his chest.

Great paragraph describing part of the fight inside the Winterfell walls:

Then a dead giant shows up. He looks like he’d like to have a word with Giantsbane about his wife’s boobs but uh-oh, before he can do that, he needs to get through a little girl. Not just any little girl. The ballsy little girl who’s always calling out “Point of order!” at the Winterfell town council meetings.

:lol:

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Is it wrong for me to say Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards did a better job of capturing the feel of an epic battle. I will rewatch it tonight but I thought most of the battle was too dark, murky and blurry. Still was an epic episode but there certainly was more left to be desired.

I imagine their intention was to have a more realistic lighting situation to demonstrate the fighting conditions, but it didn't really work out as intended. There were certainly scenes where this situation elevated the viewing experience, like the more distant shots, but the in close fight scenes it didn't work well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I thought Ths BOB was far better than last night.

I enjoyed last night. It would've been scary as $&!# being there and you could feel the actors portrayed that well. My only beef is some of the tactics they used militarily which I mentioned earlier. Seems like a no brainer you don't send your cavalry head first into the unknown. Then when the moat was lit, there was no heavy archer fire while the walkers stood there like potted plants. Humans were so outnumbered it probably wouldn't have mattered, but still.. or some type of hot oil castle defense mechanism which they used in medieval times to prevent people from scaling the walls.

Any other questions people are having about this episode will probably be answered coming up I imagine; like how Arya came out of nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So why was the NK after Bran? I'm not sure Bran's purpose aside from seeing into the past. NK isn't in the books so you can't really look too deep into those for the reason I don't think.

I think it was explained in one of the first two episodes this season. Something about the difference between the dead and the living are the memories, so killing Bran would erase all memory. Probably not explaining it correctly, but I remember them talking about it this season.

I thought it was great. Didn't mind the darkness - thought it added to the atmosphere. The Dothraki charge fizzling out was really well done (even if it was a bit ridiculous to have them charge in the first place).

The biggest gripe I had with the episode was how easily Jon got away from the dead when the NK resurrected them in front of him. The ending I didn't mind so much.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think it was explained in one of the first two episodes this season. Something about the difference between the dead and the living are the memories, so killing Bran would erase all memory. Probably not explaining it correctly, but I remember them talking about it this season.

true, good point. I hope they expand more into this. It seems like a big cliffhanger. 

1 minute ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I thought it was great. Didn't mind the darkness - thought it added to the atmosphere. The Dothraki charge fizzling out was really well done (even if it was a bit ridiculous to have them charge in the first place).

The biggest gripe I had with the episode was how easily Jon got away from the dead when the NK resurrected them in front of him. The ending I didn't mind so much.

Maybe that's all it was for - dramatic effect. Which it was. You could see everyone back at Winterfell crapping themselves when it went dark

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

true, good point. I hope they expand more into this. It seems like a big cliffhanger. 

Do you remember the scene I'm talking about? It was when they were strategizing about how they will face the WWs. They knew that the NK had to be killed to win this battle, so they purposely put Bran where they did to draw the NK to. It was explained why the NK would target Bran and how the NK would know where Bran would be. I'm not really sure if they can expand more into it other than how it was explained already.

• Upvote 1