The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

All that said, I think it must be a ridiculously difficult job to try and capture important moments for 19 different characters in just 90 minutes. 

i think thats a good way to look at it. 

For me, Arya's story arc is one of the best for a female character that I can remember, maybe ever, for this kind of genre. We're all so spoiled with entertainment these days I think we're missing out a bit on just enjoying that a bit more. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i think thats a good way to look at it. 

For me, Arya's story arc is one of the best for a female character that I can remember, maybe ever, for this kind of genre. We're all so spoiled with entertainment these days I think we're missing out a bit on just enjoying that a bit more. 

Agreed. I was watching this until around 1am last night and thought that it was cool to be watching a show that might never be superseded in terms of its scale. I just started watching this, but I think it might put things into perspective a bit and maybe people will appreciate what was done a little bit more:

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Agreed. I was watching this until around 1am last night and thought that it was cool to be watching a show that might never be superseded in terms of its scale. I just started watching this, but I think it might put things into perspective a bit and maybe people will appreciate what was done a little bit more:

I think my favorite part of this is Jacob Anderson's out take: "Light da Trench! Light da Trench! ....Aw F**ck! .....Sorry...sorry..."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Most hilarious post I read regarding the amount of kills Arya had in the battle....

Guimli to Arya:  "That still only counts as one!"  (re Night King)

:P

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Probably wearing an undead mask as per her Assassin training.

That or there was the giant tree they were standing under she could have dropped out of.

I thought was a great episode.  Showing it all so dark also just made it possible to actually do this episode from a budget standpoint.

The flaming Dothraki were amazing and used to such amazing effect watching the swords blink out over a minute or so.

Does seem though that 7 seasons of building the Dothraki up just to have them decimated like that was not great story telling.  Same with half of season seven being about John losing the North for it to ultimately make no difference at all.  There are all of what about 100 people left in the North.

Next few episodes should be interesting.  Danny has lost her navy, both of her armies and one or two of her dragons (though I suspect Rhaegar is alright).  No army against Cersei and 20,000 Golden company and the remainder of the Lannister armies.  How many other armies are left in Westeros, the Dornish without a head?

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That or there was the giant tree they were standing under she could have dropped out of.

I thought was a great episode.  Showing it all so dark also just made it possible to actually do this episode from a budget standpoint.

The flaming Dothraki were amazing and used to such amazing effect watching the swords blink out over a minute or so.

Does seem though that 7 seasons of building the Dothraki up just to have them decimated like that was not great story telling.  Same with half of season seven being about John losing the North for it to ultimately make no difference at all.  There are all of what about 100 people left in the North.

Next few episodes should be interesting.  Danny has lost her navy, both of her armies and one or two of her dragons (though I suspect Rhaegar is alright).  No army against Cersei and 20,000 Golden company and the remainder of the Lannister armies.  How many other armies are left in Westeros, the Dornish without a head?

I've been wondering about the Dornish, ever since Arya whacked the Night King. The TV series hasn't really given us any clues, but there are a couple of possibilities from the books that the show writers could fall back on, if they want to bring Dorne into the war against Cersei.

The first is Arianne Martell, who is Prince Doran's eldest daughter in the books. She would be the heir to the Dornish throne, but it's hard to imagine the Sand Snakes leaving her alive, after their coup. I suppose it's possible that she could have been away, (Oberyn mentioned a "sabbatical" in Essos, so it's possible that Arianne was doing the same) but it seems unlikely that this would be the case, since she was never mentioned in the series.

The other possibility is another Sand Snake. Sarella Sand is only briefly mentioned in the books, but there is a popular theory that a Maester in training (and a woman, pretending to be a man) at the Citadel named Alleras, is the last Sand Snake and could decide to return to Dorne to fill the power vacuum. This would have been a better theory, had Sam bumped into a somewhat androgynous fellow trainee in his (albeit brief) time at the Citadel, but it is what it is.

It's possible that Varys will become useful again, using his teleporting powers to try and bring the Dornish into the fray.

“Watched” It last night. And by that, I mean, I was incredibly bored and fast forwarded through A LOT of it, as the mass battle scenes were, to me, generic. Went to parts that seemed necessary to pay attention to (ie: character development).

Was “alright”.

So the long night lasted 2 hours? Hmm the episode was ok at best...but not great like I was hoping. Bran did nothing clever, Jon had nothing to do really except fly around and then  yell at the undead dragon? Dumb. The Night king was kind of cool but died like a punk and was a cardboard character. Sam survived like 3 dog piles of wights... I could go on...

It was way too dark also...I couldn’t see much either. The battle at the wall a few seasons ago was dark but had way better lighting. It’s like the writers just wanted to move on and got lazy.

Funny if you google 'what' it'll finish with 'Bran was doing?'.  I came across this theory:

Anyways, after watching the ending again imagine if that was the final episode and the NK puts his hand on Bran then you get 2min of flashbacks and it fades to black as the show ends, with that music playing in the background that ending would've been incredible.  

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Funny if you google 'what' it'll finish with 'Bran was doing?'.  I came across this theory:

Anyways, after watching the ending again imagine if that was the final episode and the NK puts his hand on Bran then you get 2min of flashbacks and it fades to black as the show ends, with that music playing in the background that ending would've been incredible.  

wasn't that the Soprano's ending? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

it has been bothering me that none of them has the sense to see what an incredible asset Bran is and nobody is using hime for appropriate benefit.

Someone who can see anything at any time, how would that be useful in a war?

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jimmy was disappointed the episode didn't end with a Journey song.:P

Just a small town girl

Born and raised in Winter-fell

She took a valeryan blade... into the Night.. Kings.. heart..

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I wonder if it was to keep Jon away from the NK? If Jon had managed to get closer he would have &^@#ed the whole thing up. Maybe he entered the dragon to keep Jon occupied. 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if it was to keep Jon away from the NK? If Jon had managed to get closer he would have &^@#ed the whole thing up. Maybe he entered the dragon to keep Jon occupied. 

I like the idea of Bran going back in time to make sure the Catspaw got into the right hands at the right time. It lends a sort of circular symmetry to the whole thing.

The simplest answer was that he was spying on the NK as a Raven and the NK did seem to recognize him, but simple is boring. It's much more fun to hypothesize twists and turns and since the Hodor/Hold the Door revelation was so cool, I can definitely see Uncle George pulling a similar stunt with that dagger.

Who knows? Bran my have even been going back to make sure he was standing outside the window where Cersei and Jaime were doing the Alabama Slam....