The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

I really REALLY liked it. The casting is superb.

My only issue is with the Drogo/Dany sex scene. In the book he was very gentle with her and it was her choice to go ahead or else he would not have. That was a defining moment for Drogo because it showed that he was more than just a blood thirsty ravenous barbarian. It set up the possibility that she could love him. In the show he basically raped her. I dunno, not a big deal but kind of a big deal to me.

Also I really don't want an event that is going to happen at the end of the 1st book to happen, or the event that happens in the 3rd book to happen. I LOVE those characters and the casting so much.

Wincest? :D

Daenerys is hot as hell, the trailers/shorts dont really do her justice.

Also did they drop Rickon? I mean he's not important or anything but I didn't see him.

Also we should set some spoiler rules for this thread

Rickon is in there, he is in the part where Bran is shooting the bow and when the king arrives and all the stark children line up when the king arrives.

Dany is SO gorgeous.

I think they did a great job so far, with the one exception being Ronon... I mean Drogo's marriage consummation. Had all the lines... and then just veers off course randomly. All the same, I'm excited to see the next ep.

And maybe at some point in he can go ahead and publish the next book...

• 2 weeks later...

You guys just stopped talking about it...

We're three episodes in and I am still lovin' it.

Daenerys gets more beautiful by the episode and I am eagerly awaiting Viserys' 'crown'.

I wondered if they were going to make me hate the Joffrey character and yes, they have and I was happy to see Tywin finally arrive in that last episode.

I think they did a great job so far, with the one exception being Ronon... I mean Drogo's marriage consummation. Had all the lines... and then just veers off course randomly. All the same, I'm excited to see the next ep.

And maybe at some point in he can go ahead and publish the next book...

The next book is confirmed for july release finally.

You guys just stopped talking about it...

We're three episodes in and I am still lovin' it.

Daenerys gets more beautiful by the episode and I am eagerly awaiting Viserys' 'crown'.

I wondered if they were going to make me hate the Joffrey character and yes, they have and I was happy to see Tywin finally arrive in that last episode.

Where was Tywin? I don't recall seeing him... :unsure:

They've been pretty true to the book so far. The third episode had a few conversations that didn't happen in the book (Cersei and Joffrey, Robert, Barriston and Jaime), but needed to be done to fill in viewers who didn't know the back story. Now that most of the key characters (for now) have been introduced, I wouldn't mind them starting to do some episodes that focus on just one or two locales (say, all in King's Landing, or split between the Wall and across the Narrow Sea) to keep the stories from jumping around so much. It might be helpful to viewers who haven't read the book.

I love the casting for the series; the casting is pretty much spot-on for everyone, Tyrion and Arya especially. The only one who bugs me at the moment is Robb Stark - he just seems a little wooden. Hopefully that changes when he's forced to grow up.

And I saw posted elsewhere that book 2/season 2 already has the green light. Viewership in North America isn't as high as it could be, but they're making a lot of money selling the show in other countries.

Where was Tywin? I don't recall seeing him... :unsure:

I just watched it again and realized that was B the Bold in there with the King when I thought it was Tywin. Aww...

"Jaime Lannister, son of the mighty Tywin, forced to mind the door while your king eats and drinks and craps and fracks"

I had assumed that them both wearing the same armour meant it was their family colours, not that of the Kings Guard. It makes sense now. I will say though, that now, knowing that it was Barristan and not Tywin that Jaime was showing so much respect to in that scene, gives me a lot of hope for Jaime's character. (It's been years since I read the books).

Edit: I am also very curious to see how they continue the Arya storyline and where it goes.

Edited by :D

I never read the book (might have to eventually) and I think the show has been splendid so far.

The first three episodes have been a little "slow", but I don't blame them since there is a lot of characters and stories they need to touch on and show the viewer.

Can someone please list the books in this series. The only fantasy series i have read is the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series. I loved the books but the show they made was a fing joke. Will i enjoy this series Of books in comparision to Goodkinds? I have the first 3 ep. on the pvr but may want to read the books before watching.

<br /><a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia....of_Ice_and_Fire</a><br /><br /><br />A Game of Thrones (1996)<br />A Clash of Kings (1999)<br />A Storm of Swords (2000)<br />A Feast for Crows (2005)<br />A Dance with Dragons (2011)<br />
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br /><br />Thank you Edited by DirtRiderRM250

I think I am going to restart them this week so I am ready for the new one in the summer

I just finished reading them for a second time through (just in time for the series to start). I'm amazed at how much of the 4th book I forgot. And I'd gotten some of the chronology mixed up (thought some things that happened in the second book happened in the third, and vice-versa).

I have episode 2 and 3 on DVR, just haven't had the time to watch. Been sick pretty much this whole week actually.

Isn't sick time usually TV time? When you don't feel like getting up off the couch to do anything?

I've watched all three episodes but haven't been able to delete them from the DVR yet. I might have a GoT marathon day one of these days.

I never read the book (might have to eventually) and I think the show has been splendid so far.

The first three episodes have been a little "slow", but I don't blame them since there is a lot of characters and stories they need to touch on and show the viewer.

It's a monumental task to bring viewers into this world as the character list and backstory is massive, and basically all of the characters have great depth. The book does a better job as it's not constrained to 1 hour segments. But then that's always the case for books vs screen.

Can someone please list the books in this series. The only fantasy series i have read is the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series. I loved the books but the show they made was a fing joke. Will i enjoy this series Of books in comparision to Goodkinds? I have the first 3 ep. on the pvr but may want to read the books before watching.

Goodkind is practically illiterate compared to Martin. The books are definitely worth reading, even if the series acts as a spoiler. Perhaps that is too harsh, but with Goodkind he seems to have alternated between good book/terrible book. His characters and situations are just too unbelievable sometimes. I'm referring to the capitalism/vs communism themed ones.

@sixwings Finally!!!! If there's not a heavy dose of Arya and Snow like promised I'm going to show up on his doorstep.

@Starbug I agree re: casting is excellent! Only one I don't like so far is Syrio. Would have preferred someone with more grace, but perhaps that's more a problem with choreography. I'd list off the castings I especially like, but the list is too long. Everyone looks exactly like I'd expected... except Payne.

Edited by suolucidir

@sixwings Finally!!!! If there's not a heavy dose of Arya and Snow like promised I'm going to show up on his doorstep.

Don't forget Daenerys! I hated her storyline at first, but now I want to see - well, read - more.

@Starbug I agree re: casting is excellent! Only one I don't like so far is Syrio. Would have preferred someone with more grace, but perhaps that's more a problem with choreography. I'd list off the castings I especially like, but the list is too long. Everyone looks exactly like I'd expected... except Payne.

Syrio was fine. Payne is a little less intimidating than I expected. And the Hound could have used a little more make-up, IMO. But I suppose I could have expected the scars to be much worse because he was introduced via the children's point of view (would seem much scarier to the kids than to the adults).

Was kind of underwhelmed with this last episode.

I knew that "The Mountain..."'s appearance was coming up and I was stoked for it but that, yawn.

Already sick of Littlefinger but I am liking Jon Snow and Bran more every episode.

The end with Lady Stark was kinda cool though.