The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe I missed something as I am not as much of an aficionado as yourself.  I haven't read the books yet and have only watched the series once.

But wasn't Cersei already carrying Jamie's child?  So wouldn't sleeping with Euron provide a cover story for who the father was just like how she claimed her previous children were from Robert Baratheon?  Or am I getting it all wrong?

Nope you've got it right. However, I don't believe that alone would be enough incentive for her to sleep with Euron. She already told Jaime she was going to tell everyone that he was the father. She had stopped hiding the fact that the two were sleeping together. (as evidenced when she made no effort to hide the fact from her handmaiden)

She may have seen it as a convenient lie, after the fact, but I also don't see her as desperate to explain the parentage of her baby. As the Lannister saying goes, "The Lion does not concern itself with the opinions of the sheep".....

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

She wanted something from Lancel. With Euron, she already had what she wanted and knew he really had no other prospects.

We can agree to disagree that Cersei would have given in so easily.

I am agreeing with you. Just being facetious.

The real Cersei would have strung him along. But probably would have bedded him after total domination I suspect.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I am agreeing with you. Just being facetious.

The real Cersei would have strung him along. But probably would have bedded him after total domination I suspect.

Exactly.

Cersei is the master manipulator. She would have used whatever she had to get what she wanted out of Euron, including sex, but at that point, there was little advantage to sleeping with him. Far more effective to keep him "hungry", especially since she already had the Golden Company and the Iron Fleet really had nowhere else to go....

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Saw a good question on the 'net today: Who rang the bells?

Do we think Jaime had time to swing by there, before going to find Cersei? Maybe Tyrion had an app for that?

I'm hoping it was Moon Boy

Branch Stark warging into Moon Boy lol?  I just thought it was some peasants or even some of the Lannister army.  

Hehe, one thing I didn't notice at first is that bell almost landed on Arya at the end, you can ever hear it ring one final time.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The dude is 70 years old and and went from a "getting by" chess tournament director and part-time teacher to a guy nosing towards $100 million dollar net worth.   Give the guy a break - the creative juices may well have been stalled somewhat by a lifestyle change that one can only imagine would have been potentially dramatic.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Many people underestimate the work that goes into these kinds of things.  He created his own world ffs. Like tou said if he has a form of writers block its best for him not to rush it likethe show writers. Die a hero instead of becoming the villain. 

His world in the books has become a mess.  Yes, he is getting writer's block because he only has two books left to wrap everything up and tie up his infinite loose ends.

What I'm saying is that he deserves some of the blame for season 7 and 8 not meeting expectations.  D&D had no choice but to keep writing despite their lack of source material.  GRRM owes it to himself and his own creative work to just finish the damned books.  If he has had such a block for so long, then pass it off to a successor.  Because he is 70 and unlikely to finish them.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly.

Cersei is the master manipulator. She would have used whatever she had to get what she wanted out of Euron, including sex, but at that point, there was little advantage to sleeping with him. Far more effective to keep him "hungry", especially since she already had the Golden Company and the Iron Fleet really had nowhere else to go....

Cersei has convinced herself she is a master manipulator.  But you have to remember she is written to be incompetent.  She is vengeful and makes rash decisions.  She is only half as smart as she thinks she is.  But... she is also not afraid to use sex to get what she wants.  Did she have to sleep with Euron?  Hard to say.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Branch Stark warging into Moon Boy lol?  I just thought it was some peasants or even some of the Lannister army.  

Hehe, one thing I didn't notice at first is that bell almost landed on Arya at the end, you can ever hear it ring one final time.  

Someone would have had to know about it, though. It was something that Tyrion set up the day before, so I don't think there would have been any way to get word to the Lannister forces.

It's possible that Jaime got one of the soldiers to do it and the show writers didn't bother including the scene.  Probably the most likely scenario, although Moon Boy is more fun...

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Someone would have had to know about it, though. It was something that Tyrion set up the day before, so I don't think there would have been any way to get word to the Lannister forces.

It's possible that Jaime got one of the soldiers to do it and the show writers didn't bother including the scene.  Probably the most likely scenario, although Moon Boy is more fun...

I thought they always rang the bells for surrender, wedding or a high profile death?

15 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I say it was either AC/DC or Metallica

Take a look to the sky, just before you'll die

It's the last time you ever will 

I think Dany was more of a Megadeth fan.... like me.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

I thought they always rang the bells for surrender, wedding or a high profile death?

Take a look to the sky, just before you'll die

It's the last time you ever will 

I think Dany was more of a Megadeth fan.... like me.

They made a point of saying that bells are rung for deaths, attacks and weddings, but AFAIK, there was never any mention of ringing the bells for surrender. That's why Tyrion suggested it to Dany and enlisted Jaime to make sure it happened.

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They made a point of saying that bells are rung for deaths, attacks and weddings, but AFAIK, there was never any mention of ringing the bells for surrender. That's why Tyrion suggested it to Dany and enlisted Jaime to make sure it happened.

Idk, the fact you hear the townfolk say 'ring the bells' makes me think it's also used for surrender.  Tyrion telling Jaime was more of a 'make sure that happens.' kind of thing.  Think people might be looking a little too deep into the bells but I don't mind, I am so bored at work and don't mind reading all the theories.  I read one that Bran is the lord of light, warged into a commoner and rang the bell then warg into Drogon and burnt everything which meant Dany would've been like "Drogon stop!" lol, yeah some don't make any sense.  I still think the 3ER's are messing with the targaryens somehow.

BTW over 500k sigs for a petition to re-write season 8.  I am sure most of those people know it will never, ever happen but it's funny nonetheless.

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers?webview=true&nightmode=true

Not a spoiler about the last episode but hold off reading it until after the finale to be safe:

Spoiler

It's hilarious and tragic everyone complaining about this season, just wait until the finale and who ends up on the throne.  The Shark will jump, and y'all will riot.

Don't know if it's true but the actor who played Euron used to babysit the actor who played Jaime's kids lol.  Also that actor that played Jaime argued about his character throughout the show.  This is from a reddit user:

From The Dragon Demands, did you all know that the Jaime rapes Cersei next to Joffreys corpse was supposed to be consensual? Nickolaj even told the director it looked like a rape during shooting and he was told to shut and do his lines. Years later D&D said that if the audience thought it was a rape, then the audience was stupid:

“To D&D: The Wiki remembers how you accidentally made a consensual sex scene look like rape with Jaime and Cersei, because (as Pedro Pascal confirmed) you were too busy playing iPhone games with naked female extras to spend time reviewing the final edit of the footage. And the Wiki remembers that both actors later publicly contradicted you and said it was never intended as a rape scene.”

Edit: For clarification I didn’t bring this up to talk about book to show changes. I brought it up as an example to prove that as far back as Season 4, Nickolaj was pushing back on creative decisions. He told the director people were going to get the impression it was a rape scene, even though it wasn’t supposed to be in the script and his concerns were dismissed. I provided the link above to the Dragon Demands, admin for the game of Thrones Wiki, video on his research, when he was trying to clarify for the Wiki whether it was a rape scene or not. The video is an hour long and he provided his sources, interviews, and evidence that it was not intended to be a rape scene.

In defense of The Dragon Demands. His job is to research this stuff, to provide accurate information for the Game of Thrones Wikipedia page. He is not insane or a guy with no life. This is literally his job. He has been ridiculed for providing research into behind the scenes things on Game of Thrones because he makes videos criticizing Benioff and Weiss. He started out as an avid show fan, until for his job he had to research into these things. He predicted that the final season would be awful, solely based on his research into how Benioff and Weiss write and behave over the years. You may not agree with his opinions on Benioff and Weiss and that’s fine, but resorting to accusing him of having a mental health issue because you don’t agree, is petty. I shared the link to his video because it’s informative and interesting to me, and it’s worth sharing the info. He has some other great videos with evidence to back them that I feel deserve more attention, such as why the Dorne plot was a huge mess.

• Upvote 2

On 5/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

His world in the books has become a mess.  Yes, he is getting writer's block because he only has two books left to wrap everything up and tie up his infinite loose ends.

What I'm saying is that he deserves some of the blame for season 7 and 8 not meeting expectations.  D&D had no choice but to keep writing despite their lack of source material.  GRRM owes it to himself and his own creative work to just finish the damned books.  If he has had such a block for so long, then pass it off to a successor.  Because he is 70 and unlikely to finish them.

Cersei has convinced herself she is a master manipulator.  But you have to remember she is written to be incompetent.  She is vengeful and makes rash decisions.  She is only half as smart as she thinks she is.  But... she is also not afraid to use sex to get what she wants.  Did she have to sleep with Euron?  Hard to say.

Unfortunately. This comes up in the movie Logan Lucky in the prison negotiation and the warden is like - George Martin hasn't written the final books yet - there is nothing I can do about this!

Edited by Tortorella's Rant