The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

4 minutes ago, Fateless said:

6) Are we really supposed to believe that Grey Worm would not have immediately killed Jon when he found out what he did to Dany? They developed Grey Worm to hate Jon. Even in the same episode they showed Grey Worm slaughtering prisoners in spite of Jon. Yet when Jon kills Grey Worm's Queen, he puts him in prison? What? That is completely out of line with Grey Worm's character who they have developed for years to change from an emotionless soldier to a soldier ruled by his emotions. 

Yeah that whole scene took the show to a new low. Jon should've been killed on the spot if he was found. And then why would anyone even care to enforce Jon's "punishment" after the Unsullied ceded King's Landing and sailed East?

Even more strange is how the Prince of Dorne and Lady Greyjoy are willing to accept a Stark King AND the North gaining independence. They clearly would also want independence.

9 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yeah that whole scene took the show to a new low. Jon should've been killed on the spot if he was found. And then why would anyone even care to enforce Jon's "punishment" after the Unsullied ceded King's Landing and sailed East?

Even more strange is how the Prince of Dorne and Lady Greyjoy are willing to accept a Stark King AND the North gaining independence. They clearly would also want independence.

Agreed. I also expected more demands of independence. 

Just watched again.

Liked it better the second time. Still doesn't live up to expectations. Not sure it could have ever lived up to expectations.

I can't say what I specifically expected though. That would mean it would be predictable. The last thing I would want is for GoT to be predictable.

Without a doubt my favourite scene is Brienne finishing the story for Jaime in the book of Kingsguards.

I paused to fully read each page. She manages to positively portray all his acts.

The last entry is so powerful. That was unconditional love, that exemplifies a true knight. That is Brienne.

I also really liked Arya going her own way and Jon reuniting with Ghost.

My biggest takeaway is that so much was left for a setup to continue the story in the future. 

Tyrion's line to Jon "Ask me again in 10 years."

How will Westeros operate with North as independent nation.

What will Arya find to the West.

Bran saying maybe he can find out where Drogon is.

HBO can milk this some more.

Overall I can't say it was a huge disappointment. Still might still be a stretch to say I was satisfied.

As mentioned before.......it was nothing like Picard sitting down to play poker.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

As mentioned before.......it was nothing like Picard sitting down to play poker.

Nothing is. That entire series was phenomenal. Finishing it like that was fitting, and incredibly underrated.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Just watched again.

Liked it better the second time. Still doesn't live up to expectations. Not sure it could have ever lived up to expectations.

I can't say what I specifically expected though. That would mean it would be predictable. The last thing I would want is for GoT to be predictable.

I think I'll watch the last season again in a couple of months. There were many incredible scenes, just so much to cover in such a small number of shows, like trying to stream hockey over dial up. I really don't get all the over the top complaining tho, sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats to me :P

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I though the finale was great right up until after Dragon melted the Throne, which I thought was perfect, that is when It started to disappoint for me, but with the writers writing in the now and not preplanning, the story had to run its course somewhere alone the lines it did...……...

I would have much preferred Dragon to melt the throne and then turn his flame on Jon, only to have Jon survive and where then Grey worm and the Unsully throw their spears, and Jon lifts his sword which burns the spears in mid air, then Grey worm would have bent the knee and the reluctant Jon, would have took the throne...….This was a fantasy, and at the end they tried desperately to make it civilized. . 

To me, Dragon bending the wing and the Unsully bending the knee, would have been cool ending. Then Bran being Jon's council and Terion being his ward, would have been perfect.

The last 10 minutes could then have been much like it was, excluding the democratic meeting...…...pretty sure I seem Trump at that meeting, right behind the water bottle.

What the hell was in those book Samwell took????

2 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yeah that scene was a bit of a sh!tshow. Tyrion recommends Bran and then there is no rebuttal or resistance (for Bran on the Iron throne or for Northern independence) from Dorne or the Iron Islands? No discussion? It's like "well I guess the prisoner convicted of treason knows best.... I"

It is pretty obvious that they left Arya's adventures and potentially Jon's as the spin offs to come.

We just witnessed what 2 short seasons of a show that had well surpassed the original source material, with minimal input from the author.  Not enough time to actually develop the plot points.  Rushed is an understatement.  

That being said, I kinda liked the troll when they brought out the book.  That's what I'm waiting for.  The books.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think I'll watch the last season again in a couple of months. There were many incredible scenes, just so much to cover in such a small number of shows, like trying to stream hockey over dial up. I really don't get all the over the top complaining tho, sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats to me :P

I have my complaints too. But they aren't over the top as you so wisely put it. :)

• Cheers 1

Disappointed with the last season.   

Think they should have taken King's Landing first at a heavy cost (1 Dragon and some forces) to Dany.  Then Dany going North to take on the Night King (the real threat).  The battle is where the Dany and the last dragon dies ( by the Night King).  Jon makes it to the Grove, surrounded by the white walkers. Arya and Breanne appear to turn the tide.  Allowing Jon to kill the Night King. Scene ends as Morning comes.

D&D really bad writing screenplays without source material. 

I may be in a minority but I enjoyed the final episode.

Did anyone else expect Tyrion to kill Dany as he slowly walked towards her while she was preening in front of her admiring troops?  With the ominous music and the buildup, I did.

And then I was also surprised when Jon did kill her.

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The dragon doesn't get the moral qualms of burning children to death, by symbolism is something he's really in tune with? I thought it was silly. 

You should check out (if you haven't already) Killing Eve and Barry. Neither is similar to GoT at all, but they are fantastic in their own way, IMO. 

the first sentence gave me a laugh. i was trying to wrap my head around the dragon's rejection of the symbol but his embodiment of its symbolism, but i guess i can't. in the end, i suppose i just don't really care about the dragon's opinion of killing children, so the act (hollow as it was) was good enough for me simply by virtue of its emotional implications (aww, cute sad dragon)

i've heard good things about killing eve, but barry didn't do a whole lot for me after the first season