The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

To each their own, I suppose, but I have to admit that I'm surprised that someone has read (or tried to read) the Kingkiller Chronicles and couldn't get through it. :huh:

There's more than one way to tell a great story and writing off a novel because of the tense just seems so limiting to me.....:unsure:

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To each their own, I suppose, but I have to admit that I'm surprised that someone has read (or tried to read) the Kingkiller Chronicles and couldn't get through it. :huh:

There's more than one way to tell a great story and writing off a novel because of the tense just seems so limiting to me.....:unsure:

It is a very limiting way to tell a story. Especially in fantasy. I don't enjoy it. Pretty much never have. 

Everyone is different. What seems fantastic to some people is "meh" to others. You can't really argue personal taste. For example, I have a good friend who very much shares my tastes in reading. We swap books all the time, yet he hated Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem series, while I thought it was probably the best Hard SF I've ever read.

What I did find interesting when I dug into the Kingkiller series a bit more, was that it had been optioned and then dropped by Showtime as a TV series. The producers are apparently shopping it for a new home as a series, or possibly a movie.

Personally, I think it would make a perfect replacement for GoT on HBO's lineup.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Everyone is different. What seems fantastic to some people is "meh" to others. You can really argue personal taste. For example, I have a good friend who very much shares my tastes in reading. We swap books all the time, yet he hated Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem series, while I thought it was probably the best Hard SF I've ever read.

What I did find interesting when I dug into the Kingkiller series a bit more, was that it had been optioned and then dropped by Showtime as a TV series. The producers are apparently shopping it for a new home as a series, or possibly a movie.

Personally, I think it would make a perfect replacement for GoT on HBO's lineup.

Yeah heard about that a while ago and agree. It could make a killer series if well done.

On 11/1/2019 at 12:38 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

True dat.

To make things worse, another of my favorite authors (Patrick Rothfuss) seems to be undergoing the same kind of "distractions" as Uncle George....

just bought The Name of Wind the Wind today

thanks for the heads up. I’m in a bad habit of latching on to an author for a while.

Ive read ASOIF series three times in the last three years

ive also recently read all of 13 editions of James Rollins “Sigma” series, in the last year and a half...

Edited by Canorth
  • Cheers 1

Just finished watching entire series again.

Final season is a bit better with each passing. Only criticism that really can remain is that it was too rushed.

Edit: watched final episode just last night. Totally forgot about seen with Brienne finishing Jaime's entry in book of nights. I should have been cutting onions.

Edited by Shift-4

12 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Just finished watching entire series again.

Final season is a bit better with each passing. Only criticism that really can remain is that it was too rushed.

Edit: watched final episode just last night. Totally forgot about seen with Brienne finishing Jaime's entry in book of nights. I should have been cutting onions.

Final episode was pure comedy....YOU HURT MOMMY, DIE SPIKEY CHAIR!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OMG!!! IT's starting - Excited face | Meme Generator

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-prequel-series-house-of-the-dragon-starts-production-cast-announced/ar-BB1g4Rbz?li=AAggNb9

On Monday, HBO revealed the highly-anticipated "Game of Thrones" prequel series "House of the Dragon" has officially started production.

The main cast of the show was also revealed, including Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen, Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower, Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower, Paddy Considine as King Viserys Targaryen, Steve Toussaint as The Sea Snake and Emma D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen.

While details about the GoT spin-off "House of the Dragon" have largely been kept under wraps, the series is said to take place centuries before the events of "Game of Thrones", and centres on the House Targaryen and the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons.

The show will premiere in 2022.

2022 seems a bit optimistic for a series that's just starting production....but fingers crossed....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

We will all watch the series finale of this show before seeing the last 2 books that are still yet to be completed.

We sometimes forget how far behind Uncle George is....

The TV series has been over for almost 2 years, yet in the books, we don't even know if Jon is alive or dead.....(or undead).....