The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

I think he will. What happened was that he was planning on having a 10 year gap between books and 3 and 4, basically wrote a bunch of books doing that, realized it sucked and started all over.

I think we can expect a book every 1-2 years.

It was originally a 5 year gap, not 10. But it would have been awkward to start the next set of books (originally planned as a second trilogy, we'll see how that goes) by trying to explain what happened in the last 5 years. So now we get AFFC and ADWD to fill in a gap of 1-2 years instead of 5 years. What I find most frustrating about the fill-in books is the lack of resolution of events (and cliffhangers! so many of them at the end of the books!). All kinds of stuff happens, but much of it won't fully be resolved until the next set of books.

It was originally a 5 year gap, not 10. But it would have been awkward to start the next set of books (originally planned as a second trilogy, we'll see how that goes) by trying to explain what happened in the last 5 years. So now we get AFFC and ADWD to fill in a gap of 1-2 years instead of 5 years. What I find most frustrating about the fill-in books is the lack of resolution of events (and cliffhangers! so many of them at the end of the books!). All kinds of stuff happens, but much of it won't fully be resolved until the next set of books.

Oh I know and it KILLS me.

Just finished Book 1 last night, so now I can watch the rest of the series!

After what I've just read over the past week, the episodes I've missed are going to be even better than what I've seen already (saw up to episode 5).

Hey, for those who have read the whole series, are all the books seriously as amazing as A Game of Thrones? That was the single most BEST novel I have ever read, by FAR!

Just finished Book 1 last night, so now I can watch the rest of the series!

After what I've just read over the past week, the episodes I've missed are going to be even better than what I've seen already (saw up to episode 5).

Hey, for those who have read the whole series, are all the books seriously as amazing as A Game of Thrones? That was the single most BEST novel I have ever read, by FAR!

Storm of Swords > Clash of Kings > Game of Thrones > Feast for Crows

Haven't finished the 5th one yet.

Storm of Swords will knock your teeth out.

Amazing eh? All the books are epic. 4th one (Feast for Crows) definitely the least though, as it covers only half of the characters. They definitely all are great reads though.

As good as the show is, the books are still better. With so many characters, you just can't recreate the character detail in a show/movie like GRRM does in the novels.

Thanks all! I was so nervous to start the 2nd one, lest I found it even slightly less enthralling. But, I took the plunge and am already enjoying it!

What absolutely brilliant writing. Every time I read some, I shake my head at how perfectly chosen each word is. The storylines are obviously epic, but it's the whole depth of the characters and the imagery that has left me with awe.

And the show is great at capturing most of that (although I've been a little miffed at some subtle changes every now and then, but I get that they have to do that to make it flow for TV).

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched all of season 1 in 2 days.

Such a sweet series

bought the books and intend to read up to ADWD towel.gif

if anyone is interested amazon has a price cut for books 1 and 2 for only 5$ each

http://www.amazon.ca...13378337&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.ca...13378337&sr=8-6

Edited by Bangs Chol

It's been interesting... I used to read fantasy genre books all the time when I was younger, but I hadn't read one in several years. Watched GoT on HBO this past season and loved it so I picked up the book and read that. It's been fun to get back into the genre again.

It's been interesting... I used to read fantasy genre books all the time when I was younger, but I hadn't read one in several years. Watched GoT on HBO this past season and loved it so I picked up the book and read that. It's been fun to get back into the genre again.

I now read e-books on an e-reader or my computer. There is free software such as Kindle for the PC, MobiPocket Reader and Calibre (highly recommended as it is a great program to convert the various formats, organize your e-library and it is also a viewer). Libraries now allow you to download e-books online and there are just TORRENTS of e-books available online.

I have all five of the Song of Fire and Ice series to read and I just grabbed all the Asimov Foundation novels to read again.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stannis is supposed to be skinnier than Robert. Remember, Robert really let himself go after he usurped the mad king ;)

Skinnier than Robert, before and after he let himself go. Remember his weapon of choice was a massive two-handed war hammer that most men could scarcely lift. The choice looks good to me.

Skinnier than Robert, before and after he let himself go. Remember his weapon of choice was a massive two-handed war hammer that most men could scarcely lift. The choice looks good to me.

this was Robert right?

this was Robert right?

Yes, it was. He was always big, and got fatter once he gained the throne. Stannis was never supposed to be big and I never pictured him big either. I think the casting for him looks decent.

Brieann of Tarth, however, needs to be UGLIER! Hope they do something in makeup to UGG her up a bit more, although the actress being 6'3'' helps a lot to capture the big and strong angle for the character.

Yes, it was. He was always big, and got fatter once he gained the throne. Stannis was never supposed to be big and I never pictured him big either. I think the casting for him looks decent.

Brieann of Tarth, however, needs to be UGLIER! Hope they do something in makeup to UGG her up a bit more, although the actress being 6'3'' helps a lot to capture the big and strong angle for the character.

Hah, yes. I'm good wit 6'3''

Tyrion is supposed to be a troll, too, but the casting works well regardless.