Mr.ArcticLove♥

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Those were all true of me at 40. Wait till you turn 50?

Some of those will change. No choice. Some parts will revisit your youth. And I'm surprisingly still healthy looking!   

While we're on the subject; F me @Coconuts. Speaking of revisiting. Love Silverchair. Aussie grunge. How these guys, sadly mentioning Nirvana, survive? Their songs sometimes go to such dark places. Its amazing they can go there, express it, let it out as energy. And fans, most, sing instead of cry inside. Amazing! 

Silverchair is one of the better bands of the 90's for me tbh, I wish they'd kept putting out music.  They started so young and eventually left the grungy sound behind a bit and embraced a more alt sound. It's a shame Daniel doesn't wanna be part of Silverchair anymore. I hope they put music out again someday.

36 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Those were all true of me at 40. Wait till you turn 50?

Some of those will change. No choice. Some parts will revisit your youth. And I'm surprisingly still healthy looking!   

While we're on the subject; F me @Coconuts. Speaking of revisiting. Love Silverchair. Aussie grunge. How these guys, sadly mentioning Nirvana, survive? Their songs sometimes go to such dark places. Its amazing they can go there, express it, let it out as energy. And fans, most, sing instead of cry inside. Amazing! 

Oh geez yer old:P

• Hydration 1

Just found out today that Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook passed away on Dec 31. 81 yrs old.

Ray was the dude with the eye patch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2018 at 1:16 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Mitch had opened a joint called the West End Cultural Centre on Ellice avenue. Only a few hundred metres from my house on Young st. Local artists were given the stage for free, and a chance to get a take on the alcohol.  My ''volunteer work'' to pay off my fines consisted of tending bar at the WEC every weekend for the next few years. 

My first night;

Brad Roberts and CTD before they made it

Frickin Mitch! He never filed the paperwork for my volunteer work. About two years later I was arrested again & had to pay the fines off.

Oh well. It was so much fun.  

oh man, I lived on sherbrook near portage when I lived in wpg, I used to go to the WEC for shows all the time. Good times.

EDIT:

because this song mentions the underground/skywalk that includes the arena.

Edited by otherwise
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, otherwise said:

oh man, I lived on sherbrook near portage when I lived in wpg, I used to go to the WEC for shows all the time.

I cant say I'm fond of that song. LOL, but it is funny; ''I hate Winnipeg!" 

Well after I left town for Vancouver, 91'?  These guys came out came out, give or take 98. My favourite local act. Blue print is a pin to pin a great album / cd.

Posted (edited)

Outrageously cool!

I love the way they refer to each other by their band alternate names.

• Rob Spragg a.k.a. Larry Love: vocals
  • Jake Black a.k.a. The Very Reverend Dr. D. Wayne Love: vocals
  • Orlando Harrison a.k.a. The Spirit: keyboards, keyboard bass, vocals
  • Mark Sams a.k.a. Rock Freebase: guitar, bass guitar
  • Steve Finnerty a.k.a. LOVEPIPE: production, guitar and vocals
  • Jonny Delafons a.k.a. L. B. Dope: drums, percussion
  • Greg Fleming a.k.a. Wizard: sequencer and effects
  • Be Atwell The Reverend Be Atwell: vocals
  • Nick Reynolds a.k.a. Harpo Strangelove: harmonica, percussion, vocals

Edited by alfstonker

Posted (edited)

A masterpiece of mixing.

"This place would be a paradise to-morrow if every department had a supervisor with a sub machine gun.":bigblush:

Edited by alfstonker
  • Like 1

Between this and Alestorm the world doesn't deserve Christopher Bowes

• Upvote 1

Man how does a tiny country like Scotland come up with all these bands. Young Fathers and The Xcerts are never off my playlist.

The lead singer looks like Christoper Walken and Tom Petty's lovechild ??:(

• Like 1

visuals not so good , listening to this , and comparing SRV's  lyricless version , man stevie ray nailed it! 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, chon derry said:

visuals not so good , listening to this , and comparing SRV's  lyricless version , man stevie ray nailed it! 

Sting, from Nothing like the Sun, also has an intoxicating version of that song.  COMPLETELY different.  The vocalist the key, not guitar player...

I take Stevie Ray if I have to chose though. But still interesting.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:40 AM, alfstonker said:

Man how does a tiny country like Scotland come up with all these bands. Young Fathers and The Xcerts are never off my playlist.

Im always impressed by the stuff you bring here Stonk!

I rarely know it.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:30 PM, alfstonker said:

Outrageously cool!

And its outrageously cool you have a good handle on what makes it good as well.

I think you said it was a lot, not only I'm sure, of your older brothers influence. Were you guys from Van? From Scotland (a lot of your stuff is Scottish and Irish (by memory) Indie stuff. 

I had a flat mate / room mate, Simon, who brought this cd home 20 odd years ago. His friends looked strangely like the characters in this video. 

We had an apartment in Kits, top floor with a massive balcony and view of the bay. Such outrageous parties and fun. 

• Like 1