The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

My dad was an 'oldies fan' in his day and as a kid, my sibs and I would watch him and my mom waltz around the living room after supper to this....my brother got married a few years ago and he and his new wife chose this as their wedding song to honour my parents...... *sniffle*

And my ultimate, all time favourite. Patti Page song of all time .......(too bad it was the theme song for a horror movie! :lol:). RIP in Patti........

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe
  • Upvote 2

(Huge Tom Russell fan - still think Road To Bayamon was his best album ever)

I had a cassette of The Road to Bayamon some twenty-five or so years back and I sure do miss it. I saw the Tom Russell Band at the Town Pump back in 89-90 and he and his crack band played everything from Road To Bayamon and Poor Man's Dream. There were maybe thirty of us there. It was like having them perform in my living room. It was pretty incredible.

My dad was an 'oldies fan' in his day and as a kid, my sibs and I would watch him and my mom waltz around the living room after supper to this....my brother got married a few years ago and he and his new wife chose this as their wedding song to honour my parents...... *sniffle*

This song by Patti reminded me so much of all the old time country dances I went to with my Dad .. he had a dance band that played all the Community Halls in the North Thompson Valley .. "Tennessee Waltz" was the last song played at every dance, and many is the night I ended up dance partners with a farm wife (she lead) for that last dance of the night/morning .. I was 7 to 12 years old. and she was 180 pounds and gentle .. hubby was passed out in the back of the car ..

So here is my favorite song from that era :

And to move it forward, a great "cover" version of "Waltz" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY22ZfzBBFc

Jesse is a treasure ..

• Upvote 1

This song by Patti reminded me so much of all the old time country dances I went to with my Dad .. he had a dance band that played all the Community Halls in the North Thompson Valley .. "Tennessee Waltz" was the last song played at every dance, and many is the night I ended up dance partners with a farm wife (she lead) for that last dance of the night/morning .. I was 7 to 12 years old. and she was 180 pounds and gentle .. hubby was passed out in the back of the car ..

So here is my favorite song from that era :

And to move it forward, a great "cover" version of "Waltz" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY22ZfzBBFc

Jesse is a treasure ..

OMG, the days of singing along to Hank Snow at home and in the car (my sibs and I always referred to him as Hank 'Slush' as we were NOT fans but you know, today we know all the words to all his songs and tend to sing along when one is perpetrated upon us! My Dad loved his music... I think he owned every album Hank ever recorded - thanks Dad! :lol:) Pardon me, if I'm sentimental, when we say goodbye...... don't get angry with me should I cry..... *sigh*

And Jesse Winchester.......... oh man.........his All Of Your Stories......lonely late night listening tunes.......*sniffle*.......would love to hang out at a concert of his.........and sing along.......

• Upvote 1

I had a cassette of The Road to Bayamon some twenty-five or so years back and I sure do miss it. I saw the Tom Russell Band at the Town Pump back in 89-90 and he and his crack band played everything from Road To Bayamon and Poor Man's Dream. There were maybe thirty of us there. It was like having them perform in my living room. It was pretty incredible.

I would have loved to see Tom Russell in that sort of setting....there's something so intimate about being with a very small crowd like that and feeling like you're a part of the music, a part of the band. How incredibly lucky of you to have that experience with such a great artist! Sometimes this living in the boonies is no fun.......though getting to see Valdy and Gary Fjellgard in that sort of setting is very, very cool! They both come to town (or the Wells Folk Festival) once or twice a year and I'm right there, front and centre, when they do! Now if only we could get Tom to play PG....it would be worth the drive to see him! The old songs.....the ones from Road To Bayamon.....I'd give anything to hear those live!

• Upvote 1

Slid into country mode this morning......love this song despite the 'twang'.....

You know you could've been a gambler

Whose luck was running low....

Or just another drifter

Without a single place to go....

You could have been a broken dreamer

Without a penny to your name....

I would've loved you

I would've loved you.....

Just The Same......

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe
  • Upvote 1