The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

My goodness. Extraordinary. Absolutely incredible. 4 hour extravaganza.

Pouille is something special, can just see it in him. Young lad has a long and promising career ahead of him. As for Rafael, heart breaking but comforting game. Showed himself he still has it after coming back from injury.

...one for the history books.

On 8/31/2016 at 6:12 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Raonic out in Round 2 to Ryan Harrison 7-6, 5-7, 5-7, 1-6

Didn't see it, but based on twitter and other tennis forums, he took MTO's for his left wrist, and left thigh. Also had cramping in his legs and right hand. Looked very red during the match (possibly because of the humidity? Usually it's Pospisil who can't deal with the heat). 

I was at both Pospisil's and Milos' matches. Vasek's serve let him down big time. He should have won the first set he was the better player. It went downhill from there. As for Milos he was playing well till he got hurt. And yes he got hurt. Wrist and Calf. He couldn't move to his right. TBH I wanted him to walk over so that the american fans and harrison wouldn't have the satisfaction of a true victory.

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I was at both Pospisil's and Milos' matches. Vasek's serve let him down big time. He should have won the first set he was the better player. It went downhill from there. As for Milos he was playing well till he got hurt. And yes he got hurt. Wrist and Calf. He couldn't move to his right. TBH I wanted him to walk over so that the american fans and harrison wouldn't have the satisfaction of a true victory.

Yeah, a lot of arrogant Americans on twitter were applauding Harrison for the 'upset'.

I can understand the average person seeing it as an upset though. I can also understand most media outlets not putting Raonic's injury in the headline (given that tennis is so low on the sports ladder that the writer probably didn't follow the match anyway). What I couldn't believe was this,

The US Open themselves (or at least the american who wrote this particular tweet) putting the patriotic spin on it. If the USA chant at the beginning was not included, I wouldn't have a problem with the tweet (though they could've put the word 'hobbled' between 'upsets' and 'No. 5')

• 1 month later...

Though he didn't go as far as he was predicted to go, especially with other top players losing early, Milos will return to World Number 4 when the updated rankings come out on Monday. 

He's had a relatively disappointing string of results post-wimbledon but world number 3 by years end is still within reach. He just needs to get healthy and confident.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

Though he didn't go as far as he was predicted to go, especially with other top players losing early, Milos will return to World Number 4 when the updated rankings come out on Monday. 

He's had a relatively disappointing string of results post-wimbledon but world number 3 by years end is still within reach. He just needs to get healthy and confident.

I think that's the key for Milos.

He's a bit of a giant out there and it puts a lot of stress on the body. It makes you afraid that he's going to be one of those perpetually injured athletes. I don't know what they can do about it, because you can't make him smaller (and you wouldn't want to) but hopefully it's something they can overcome through training.

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think that's the key for Milos.

He's a bit of a giant out there and it puts a lot of stress on the body. It makes you afraid that he's going to be one of those perpetually injured athletes. I don't know what they can do about it, because you can't make him smaller (and you wouldn't want to) but hopefully it's something they can overcome through training.

I wonder why Nishikori is also similarly so frequently injured? It's a shame because both Milos and Kei have the game to be right up there in the top 5.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I wonder why Nishikori is also similarly so frequently injured? It's a shame because both Milos and Kei have the game to be right up there in the top 5.

It's hard to know with Nishikori, but I think Milos' issues are directly related to his size.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both players hit some ridiculous shots today. Just unfortunate someone had to lose.

Raonic managed to break twice when Murray had a chance to serve out the match. Never thought I'd ever see that from him, even with an exhausted Murray on the other side. Nishikori losing today means he at least will finish the year as the world #3. Well earned.

Murray beats Djokovic 6-3, 6-4 to win the ATP World Tour Finals. The man has amazing tenacity and strength of will. After 2 matches at well over 3 hours and only 24 hours to recover he beats his nemesis to crown a great year.

Kudos to Djokovic for grace in defeat, he also had a great year and we may never see another era like this with so many elite players all competing at the same time.

I was interested to not that there were two players who won more than one Grand Slam this season...

Joker won the French and Australian opens, but the other two-time winner might surprise you....it wasn't Serena.

Angelique Kerber won the Australian and US Opens and finished the #1 ranked women's player. To someone like me, who can't stand the Williams sisters, that's music.

• 1 month later...