The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Andy Roddick retired due to injury, Lleyton Hewitt wins 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Raonic to play Hewitt on saturday! Should be an unbelievable atmosphere, most likely on center court at Rod Laver Arena with maximum media coverage. It'll be interesting to see how Raonic handles the hostile environment and pressure. Hewitt looked great in the match, still hasn't lost a step. Raonic is gonna have to really work for this one.

Andy Roddick retired due to injury, Lleyton Hewitt wins 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Raonic to play Hewitt on saturday! Should be an unbelievable atmosphere, most likely on center court at Rod Laver Arena with maximum media coverage. It'll be interesting to see how Raonic handles the hostile environment and pressure. Hewitt looked great in the match, still hasn't lost a step. Raonic is gonna have to really work for this one.

I don't know, Raonic has played amazing so far, and I honestly can't believe hockeyville thinks he relies entirely on his serve. Obviously has barely watched him. He doesn't rely on it, otherwise he would have 0 ATP championships. He utilizes it, just like every big server does, I mean, why wouldn't they? If it gives them cheap points, then use it, nothing wrong with it.

I don't know, Raonic has played amazing so far, and I honestly can't believe hockeyville thinks he relies entirely on his serve. Obviously has barely watched him. He doesn't rely on it, otherwise he would have 0 ATP championships. He utilizes it, just like every big server does, I mean, why wouldn't they? If it gives them cheap points, then use it, nothing wrong with it.

I agree 100%. A consistent big serve is such a rare and valuable weapon to have. You automatically give yourself a legitimate chance to win 50% of all points. It puts enormous pressure on your opponents because they know if they give up a break even just once the set is most likely over. How many times have we seen in the past, Sampras/Roddick/Isner/Karlovic give up a couple break-point opportunities on their serve only to take them away with 2 bombs back-to-back (sometimes even 3!). A serve like that is like a get-out-of-jail-free card.

And you're right, Raonic doesn't just have a massive serve. He's got huge groundstrokes and is an incredibly intelligent player. He also has great instincts and touch at the net. Plus he's been improving his consistency and foot-work every tourney I've watched him in. It's easy for casual observers of the sport to say he's a one-dimensional player. Until you've actually played the game/watched enough of it you won't understand what a unique and beautiful gift this kid has.

Edited by luongo.is.god

I'll admit I haven't watched too many Raonic matches

That comment wasn't a knock on his game, it was more a knock on that one match he was playing (against Petzschner) because from what I saw in the first two sets, he was making a lot of unforced errors and he wasn't moving very well during rallies. Most of his points were coming off of his serve. Even the commentators said that he needs to learn to work around his tall frame and be a little bit more mobile.

Hopefully I'll catch his match against Hewitt tomorrow and will pay closer attention to the rest of his skills set.

I really wanted to watch the conclusion of the Simon/Benneteau match last night because the first two sets were awesome. Sadly had to go to sleep :(

I stopped watching the Raonic match. Wasn't enjoying his unforced errors.

I don't like matches where the player relies entirely on his serve

Still, Raonic will be good in a few years. Just needs to learn to handle his massive frame

His serve is phenomenal

Very similar to Isner

Nalbandian yesterday deserved to win the match. Isner won solely on his serve

Tsonga is doing decently right now. Still not quite into a zone but some amazing shots.

I'm hoping someone can beat Andy Murray. Can't stand the guy.

Come on. How can you be a tennis fan and say that? You NEVER have to worry about Murray going down in a grand slam. He will fail.

Raonic will have to play much better against Hewitt compared to his last match. Things aren't looking great for him, but I guess it's better than a Roddick matchup.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

TSN is saying 12 pm ...so take a look then and don't wait til 1:15 or you might just miss part of it.

The best match I've seen so far was last night's match between the Australian Tomic and the Ukranian Dolgopolov. Some old school tennis with lots of slice forehands and backhands. Some long rallies.

Hockeyville88: Raonic was better later in the match with Petzchner. I agree he looked sluggish early on. He is super young for the men's game and he works super hard so I expect him to add many dimensions to his game. That will add to what he does well, which is serve. You have to remember that he only burst onto the scene at the Australian Open last year and had to take much of the season off with injury. He will only get better. He has beaten many Top 20 guys already and I'd put him around 10-15th in the world right now if it were not for injury. Skies the limit for Raonic. Well, maybe 4th is the limit until the Big 3 start to fade!

Well, it is 1:15 and Serena just finished off her opponent. So Milos is up next. The best match of the night is Monfils/Kukushkin where Monfils looked ready to retire down a set and down 5-1 in the 2nd. Has now comeback to push to a 5th set and looks fine. Earlier he could barely move. Crowd is all over the poor guy Kukushkin....very hostile towards him. Fun.

Wow a ball was thrown on the court during a rally, and now Monfils has screwed up because of that, and lost. That was BS.

Tough way to lose after he battles back from 2 sets down and then ends up double faulting. But good for the Kazakh guy. He battled hard.

Anyone watching Murray/Llondra right now? Murray up 2 sets to 0 but some amazing points both ways and a lot of sportsmanship both ways with both players applauding each others' brilliance.

Did ESPN end their coverage for the night or is TSN just showing the Australian feed?

TSN is just showing the Australian feed. I hope they switch back when the Murray/Llodra match is over, really wanted to see their coverage of the Raonic match.

TSN is just showing the Australian feed. I hope they switch back when the Murray/Llodra match is over, really wanted to see their coverage of the Raonic match.

I was really looking forward to hearing what Darren and Patrick and the rest of the crew had to say about Raonic.

Edit: Raonic with the early break. Serving at 4-3.

Edited by oh captain my captain