The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

I think Nadal is the most gracious in defeat I have ever heard. I really like how Serena was so enthusiastic after her win. Thats awesome for the sport but in particular for her since sometimes she isn't on her best behavior.

yeah it was great to see her that excited. Well deserved after all she's been through.

The women's game really needs a consistent #1 and some solid rivalries. Right now there is too much shuffling and moving around of seeds so no one is ever a clear favourite, and there are no polarizing storylines or figures that the media and fans can really latch on to. As a result, there is less interest in the women's tour than in the past like when the Williams sisters used to go up against each other. They also need closer matches where more semis and finals go to 3 sets with maybe even the occasional tiebreak. Parity sells tickets - I learned that from being a women's hockey fan :)

• Upvote 1

He's Scottish when he wins, British when he loses.

Other way round.

Murray stated that time that he doesn't consider himself British. He's Scottish. So when he wins, he's winning for Scotland, not for Britain. While I don't overly care, it's his attitude towards the Wimbledon fans that gets my goat - "oh, I love you all, thank you for supporting this poor Scotsman, I can barely talk I'm so choked up".

GET OVER YOURSELF. THEY'RE CHEERING FOR A "BRIT", NOT FOR YOU.

yeah it was great to see her that excited. Well deserved after all she's been through.

The women's game really needs a consistent #1 and some solid rivalries. Right now there is too much shuffling and moving around of seeds so no one is ever a clear favourite, and there are no polarizing storylines or figures that the media and fans can really latch on to. As a result, there is less interest in the women's tour than in the past like when the Williams sisters used to go up against each other. They also need closer matches where more semis and finals go to 3 sets with maybe even the occasional tiebreak. Parity sells tickets - I learned that from being a women's hockey fan :)

I agree. I think if Serena was serious about it, she would be #1 but would have burned out 2 years ago. Sharapova is also great but she tanks matches too often.

There is a lot of talent on the womens side but nobody except Serena really stands out being able to dominate.

i dont understand watching a womans sport, i mean fine if you play it then good for you but its just not entertaining, the skill level is nowhere near the elite of mens sports.. womans tennis is worst of all too.. screaming hyenas

Hey, does anyone here play tennis at a great level? I am 14 and looking for a scholarship for college :)

I play, but not at a high level :(

Maybe you could join one the local clubs like Hollyburn?? Play some tournaments and that might help u get recruited.

Tough one for Rafa - withdrew from the Olympics due to knee tendonitis. Not only does he not get to defend his gold, but he was also supposed to be Spain's flag bearer

I play, but not at a high level :(

Maybe you could join one the local clubs like Hollyburn?? Play some tournaments and that might help u get recruited.

Tough one for Rafa - withdrew from the Olympics due to knee tendonitis. Not only does he not get to defend his gold, but he was also supposed to be Spain's flag bearer

Maybe! I do live in Dubai, some pretty tough competition :P

Not a bad representation from tennis in the opening ceremony

Flag bearers:

Sharapova - Russia

Djokovic - Serbia

Wawrinka - Switzerland

Radwanska - Poland

Baghdatis - Cyprus

And of course Nadal would have been there too.

For anyone looking for an interesting and motivating read during the summer, make sure you check out RAFA - Nadal's autobiography. I started reading it yesterday and it's excellent. Really shows what a freak of nature he is and how he is a vastly different athlete from Roger.

Flag bearers:

Sharapova - Russia

Djokovic - Serbia

Wawrinka - Switzerland

Radwanska - Poland

Baghdatis - Cyprus

For anyone looking for an interesting and motivating read during the summer, make sure you check out RAFA - Nadal's autobiography. I started reading it yesterday and it's excellent. Really shows what a freak of nature he is and how he is a vastly different athlete from Roger.

Max Mirnyi (Partnered with Canada's own Daniel Nestor on the tour) from Belarus was also a flag bearer. Also Horia Tecau from Romania, another doubles tennis player.

Edited by Toasta Brigger

Flag bearers:

Sharapova - Russia

Djokovic - Serbia

Wawrinka - Switzerland

Radwanska - Poland

Baghdatis - Cyprus

I was a bit surprised that Rafa wasn't the flag bearer for Spain. It was Pau Gasol....

Max Mirnyi (Partnered with Canada's own Daniel Nestor on the tour) from Belarus was also a flag bearer. Also Horia Tecau from Romania, another doubles tennis player.

Thanks for catching those.

I was a bit surprised that Rafa wasn't the flag bearer for Spain. It was Pau Gasol....

Rafa was originally named flag bearer but he withdrew from the Olympics because of knee tendonitis so he was replaced by Gasol.

Stosur just hates Wimbledon. Another shocking exit. And Federer struggled with his footing a bit too on the re-seeded grass.

So weird to see the All England Club with the fuschia banners, sponsorship ads, and the players not wearing all white. The Club founders must be screaming in their graves!

So frustrating watching Raonic not get into any rallies on important points. These are easy shots he's missing.

Gutsy effort by him but if he wasn't acing serves I almost knew he wasn't going to win the point. His unforced errors make him an excruciating player to cheer for. Still needs a lot of work on that part of his game.

But a great showing against Tsonga who I'd like to think is the best player outside the big 3 (I feel like he's got more skill than Murray)

Tough loss for Pospisil/Nestor in doubles also :(