The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Although they are both great players, I have a hard time getting into tennis these days.

I used to be a big fan back in the Connors, McEnroe & Borg era. I liked the fact that there seemed to be some actual animosity between the players (Although being part of The Borg, Bjorn never let it show ;) ) Tennis in those days even had their own Sean Avery, (no, not McEnroe) a guy named Ilie "Nasty" Nastase.

Players today are just too nice.

Federer is one of the most talented players I've ever seen but Nadal is just so exciting and different to watch! You never know what crazy shot he's going to come up with so he's a lot of fun to watch. I'd pay a lot of money to watch a match between those 2.

Exactly...and I agree (with so many points here).

Initially, I was more in support of Nadal...the underdog/young kid with so much heart. But, as Nadal rose to challenge Federer, Nadal's ego seemed to grow and Federer became more lighthearted, modest and approachable. Struggling seemed to bring out a more likeable Federer for me and he had a humbler side that included a sense of humor.

In all around tennis greatness, I'd go with Federer.

And the two remind somewhat of Andres/Pete. Pete was the better tennis player overall - more consistent and steady, but Andres could beat him and had the electrifying game that included unbelievable shots that made him so exciting to watch. Plus, the passion he had for the game, coupled with his absolute elation when he won made him my favorite. They seemed like polar opposites but, near the end of their careers, developed a friendship that was really fun to watch. I started watching Andres him from the get go, when he was that neon spandexed, long haired rebellious kid. Knew he was something special from the start.

The Australian Open's on and it made me miss my favorite (Andre Agassi). I used to love the old matches between Pete Sampras and Andre...some classics.

So it got me thinking to tennis now....still some greats out there.

I was a Nadal fan at first (Andre was his idol). But I've swung over to the Federer camp...the man's just too damn good. And he's one grand slam away from tying Pete's record of 14.

Who do you think's better?: Nadal or Federer.

(If you don't care, don't bother).

Agassi was one of my favourite Players.

I also miss guys like McEnroe,Edberg,Wilander,Noah,Leconte,Becker,Lendl,Sampras,Mecir,Ivanisevic and and.....!

Honestly i dont follow Tennis since some years cuz there is allways a on man or may 2 man show.

The Top of the Tennisworld some Years ago was closer and more exciting than like these Days.

Edited by TGC#89

I also miss guys like McEnroe,Edberg,Wilander,Noah,Leconte,Becker,Lendl,Sampras,Mecir,Ivanisevic and and.....!

Honestly i dont follow Tennis since some years cuz there is allways a on man or may 2 man show.

The Top of the Tennisworld some Years ago was closer and more exciting than like these Days.

Its getting crowded at the top again, federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murry, Davydenko, plus Roddick and Hewett still have something left in the tank.

say it ain't so Boris!

340x.jpg

Riots in Melbourne!

After the Game between Djokovic (Serbia) & Delic (American with Bosnian roots) Fans of both Players have thrown Plastic Chairs at each other. One women gots hurt. The "Balkan War" is still in the Heads of those People.

I saw that...wondered what the hell was going on (had the TV muted). At first I thought it was a joke.

Riots in Melbourne!

After the Game between Djokovic (Serbia) & Delic (American with Bosnian roots) Fans of both Players have thrown Plastic Chairs at each other. One women gots hurt. The "Balkan War" is still in the Heads of those People.

Pretty lousy form by the Serbs from what I saw. They need to hire Bobby Knight if they want to get any distance with those chairs.

Although they are both great players, I have a hard time getting into tennis these days.

I used to be a big fan back in the Connors, McEnroe & Borg era. I liked the fact that there seemed to be some actual animosity between the players (Although being part of The Borg, Bjorn never let it show ;) ) Tennis in those days even had their own Sean Avery, (no, not McEnroe) a guy named Ilie "Nasty" Nastase.

Players today are just too nice.

These is some acrimony sometimes

Wait till Andy Murray faces Novak (Novak said something about him in the media)

or a Safin match when he gets pissed

These is some acrimony sometimes

Wait till Andy Murray faces Novak (Novak said something about him in the media)

or a Safin match when he gets pissed

What did Novak say about Murray? He pretty much always complements him.. He called British tennis players spoiled (specifically excluded Murray), and recently said that Murray shouldn't be the favorite ahead of himself (defending champion), federer and nadal (multiple grand slam winners) because he hasn't won a slam yet.

In fact, I always hear that they're good friends

Pretty lousy form by the Serbs from what I saw. They need to hire Bobby Knight if they want to get any distance with those chairs.

The Serbs actually won the chair throwing match 1-0!

Edited by Killa

I love both Federer and Nadal.

They both have great competitive fire and spirit, and I believe they are extremely humble as well, which amazes me. Federer has a touch of class, while Nadal has a touch of, oh, I don't know, young ambitions? Anyways, they both have such different styles too... Federer is so graceful yet astounding, what with the aces and absolutely perfect shots here and there, whereas Nadal... He's just so raw, and pulls out amazing stuff too. Lately I've been rooting for Feds, however, just because people are starting to jump off Federer's bandwagon, and I don't want to believe he's at the end of his prime, and I think I've convinced myself he's not.

I just finished watching his match with Marat Safin. It was pretty easygoing, until the 3rd set. Had to finish that one if a tie break...

Is there an Australian Open thread for general discussion? There should be, the round of 16 is around the corner and the tennis that has already been played has been pretty exciting. Kleybanova beat Ivanovic, one of the Williams sisters is out, and David Ferrer's out too...

Edited by luineul

My favourite players are James Blake and Andy Roddick. Federer I usually end up cheering for as well. Not a big Nadal fan.

I play tennis a fair deal too, but quit playing competitive when I switched to UBC. Still an awesome work-out. A bunch of sprints over 2-3 hours... awesome for the glutes.