#121 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

Posted Image

At 1.08am, there shouldn’t have been a loser.

With five hours and 14 minutes on the board, there shouldn’t have been a loser.

With 95 winners to his name, Fernando Verdasco shouldn’t have been a loser.

But there was; he was.

And at the end of the day, the No. 14 seed’s double fault on match point was, extraordinarily, the only thing to statistically separate the two players. Of the 385 points played in the match, Verdasco won 192 – and his opponent one more. That one.

“Tennis is like this sometimes, no?” Verdasco said after the match.

“What can I do? I was trying the same like in all the other games in the match. But … just to try a good second serve; I played two double faults.”

After playing one of the most extraordinary matches in Grand Slam history, one can only sympathise with the vanquished Spaniard.

After all, up until this tournament Verdasco’s best Grand Slam showing had been the fourth round – reached on five occasions, but never at the Australian Open.

Now he has the ignominy of being on the losing end of the longest match in Australian Open history.

“Is sad … to play one match like this and lost after five hours. But, you know, for the other side, I need to be proud for the tournament I made and the level I played today also. I think it was unbelievable match.

“You know, we both played unbelievable … in these matches, five sets, [Nadal] is the toughest player. You know, and I was there all the time, too … for sure I will have this match in my mind all my life.”

Indeed he should.

Although Verdasco had never beaten the world No.1, this was by far their most closely-contested meeting.

Perhaps the Spaniard can now take solace that he belongs in the top ranks of men’s tennis.

“I'm so proud of all the things I made today and these two, almost two weeks,” Verdasco said.

“These matches, anyway, they are so long, there are so many chances for both players, so many situations, they can change a match. So is difficult to know everything.”

We do know one thing, however; Fernando Verdasco isn’t going to disappear any time soon.

Go Federer.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#122 Auximenes

Auximenes

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

Are you guys getting the Australian media feed, or is all US commentators etc.

& Are they showing much of Melbourne or just the games.

i got international feed me thinks

mine has vijay amritaj and that british guy alan
and they're loads of international commentators (including plenty of aussies...)
Posted Image
The Russian Rocket - Vintage Canuck

#123 triangulate

triangulate

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:10 AM

go the fed ex express

womens still only playingbest of three but getting same money?

yes?

shame!!!!

#124 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

Is the Federer/Nadal match on tonight?

2uzxbv4.jpg

#125 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Is the Federer/Nadal match on tonight?

Yep, 12:30am tonight.

Serena Williams easily handles Dinara Safina, 6-0, 6-3 in the finals, yet again wins another major.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#126 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

What a match between Nadal and Verdasco. Was rooting for Verdasco but didn't think he could do it. I'm a Federer guy myself.
Posted Image

#127 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

What a match between Nadal and Verdasco. Was rooting for Verdasco but didn't think he could do it. I'm a Federer guy myself.

I believed he could, he just didn't.

I saw it fitting he ended the match on his own terms though. Ugly, with two double faults in that final set, but he went out with a bang. After he botched his first serve, he decided right then and there he was going to try and make his second serve a good one, not just go with a typical conservative, safe second serve... Not with Nadal on the other side. Yes, Verdasco made an error, but at least it was one he had resolved to. He didn't let Nadal have his way.

I didn't even know Fernando Verdasco's name prior to this tournament. I hope he's able to keep the performance level up because I am all for more immensely competitive tennis matches.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#128 tonyk__

tonyk__

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

Federer is just a better player no doubt, as for being cocky and stuff, well he is world number 1 for over 200 weeks, its hard not to be

Nadal has that power advantage but skillwise he is no where near Roger
creativity is a mental disorder

#129 MrMonkey

MrMonkey

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

Nadal has that power advantage but skillwise he is no where near Roger

What??? are you kidding me?

#130 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,971 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:44 AM

Wow, Federer's showing his stuff now.

These two make for a fantastic match! They battle back and forth and it's easy to see why they're the best in the world....thought Federer was fading out early in this one, then he starts showing his brilliance. Go Roger!

Posted Image

#131 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:48 AM

Feds shaky on his serve, but fights back win the second set in pretty convincing fashion, 6-3. Nadal won the first set 7-5.

Things are looking up for Feds though, I think.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#132 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:57 AM

Ugh, the story of Fed's woes against Nadal... Not converting, the lack of finish...

Gosh double fault nightmares.

Edit: Wow, crazy long game, the 5th one in the fourth set. 6 deuces, saved a billion crucial game points. Feds pulled it out though, thank goodness...

Edited by luineul, 01 February 2009 - 05:31 AM.

Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#133 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,971 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

I've seen a lot of great tennis matches in my life, but this is shaping up to be the best ever.

It's really hard to tell which way this one's going to go....Nadal's so focused - but when Federer gets mad/digs down deep, he's tough. Just hope I can last to the end here...one helluva match!

Posted Image

#134 Anjoo

Anjoo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:35 AM

this match has been nothing short of amazing.
Some of the points have been absolutely insane.

We are so lucky to be able to watch a sporting event such as this.
Let's Go Oilers!
If you see an Asian guy with 3rd Jersey #94 Smyth, Navy Blue #83 Hemsky, White #0 Cups for Nux, or an Alternate #13 Cogliano jersey at GM Place, say hi and we'll grab a beer or something!

#135 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:39 AM

I've seen a lot of great tennis matches in my life, but this is shaping up to be the best ever.

It's really hard to tell which way this one's going to go....Nadal's so focused - but when Federer gets mad/digs down deep, he's tough. Just hope I can last to the end here...one helluva match!

I still Verdasco's match better, there was just so much fire involved. Who knows though, this match could turn out to be even better, it's not over yet....

C'mon roger, take this set!!

Please!
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#136 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,971 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

Unfortunately, I fell asleep in that one and missed it. :(

I bet it was amazing.

I like Roger's determination here and he's getting his serve back. Nadal's got to be exhausted - my God, he's unbelievable to still be moving out there at all.

Well - this is it.

C'mon Roger, take it home.

Posted Image

#137 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:43 AM

Yes!!

He did it! But there's still a lot of work to do... The challenges have been amazing.

This is going to be interesting.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#138 Anjoo

Anjoo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

oh man... feds is really choking... has had issue with his first serve all match...
wow...
double championship points...
Let's Go Oilers!
If you see an Asian guy with 3rd Jersey #94 Smyth, Navy Blue #83 Hemsky, White #0 Cups for Nux, or an Alternate #13 Cogliano jersey at GM Place, say hi and we'll grab a beer or something!

#139 Anjoo

Anjoo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:15 AM

*sigh*....
:(
Let's Go Oilers!

#140 Сергей Макаров

Сергей Макаров

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:21 AM

There is not doubt: Nadal is a monster. Federer is not close to him.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#141 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

There is not doubt: Nadal is a monster. Federer is not close to him.

Yeah, did you see Nadal just blow him out in 3 sets?

Idiot.
Posted Image

#142 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:34 AM

Nadal is great. Federer always seem to blow the matches against him though. It's like Nadal has gotten into his head for whatever reason and Federer just can't put him away. Federer by all means should of had him beat, but it's like every match agaisnt Nadal he just chokes up.

It seems like he just can't play the way he normally does, he always has to play like he does against Nadal. I think he just needs to realize he shouldn't change his style. Because Nadal just does his thing and lets Federer time and time beat himself.

See, look at the guy. He puts so much pressure on himself, he just needs to realize everyone still loves him and he has to do what got him there in the first place. Hopefully he can turn it around against Nadal.

#143 Сергей Макаров

Сергей Макаров

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (Серг
@ Feb 1 2009, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is not doubt: Nadal is a monster. Federer is not close to him.

Yeah, did you see Nadal just blow him out in 3 sets?

Idiot.

Federere- Nadal= 6- 13 Numbers don't lie.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#144 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

Nards!!

... Not a good finish by Roger, his serve was absolutely not there. Not the best match by Feds and it's such a shame it had to end this way. MnEnroe nailed it, Nadal deserves so much credit, but Roger was far from his high standard of play. Yes, some things were going decently well for him and some of the points were wonderfully contested, but there weren't very many instances where a patented Roger Federer kind of point came through - blistering aces, crushing forehands, sneaky backhands along the lines... It's just such a shame, and without those winners paired with all those unforced errors, it's just a recipe for a loss, especially against an incredible athlete and competitor like Rafael Nadal.

This is a match I don't want to remember so much. I mean, it was such a battle even with all the faults Federer had, and he just gave it away at the end. There are probably four things I'm going to take from this year's Australian Open:

1. Fernando Verdasco and his absolutely amazing match with Rafal Nadal. It was just nuts. I'll remember it for as long as my memory serves.
2. Rafael Nadal's stellar performance. What an amazing athlete; what an amazing person. So relentless, so resilient, so courageous, so gutsy, so gracious, so determined, just an incredible human being.
3. These post-match comments. It's touching, it's heartwrenching, it's also heartwarming.
4. Another miss for Federer. I don't want to believe that Federer's past his prime, but he has to get through Nadal in a major tournament to put this argument behind him. Nadal seems to be improving, while Feds is aging. Time's running along. Can Federer achieve 14 major titles? Will he? We can only wait...

Edited by luineul, 01 February 2009 - 06:45 AM.

Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#145 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:03 AM

Nadal is great. Federer always seem to blow the matches against him though. It's like Nadal has gotten into his head for whatever reason and Federer just can't put him away. Federer by all means should of had him beat, but it's like every match agaisnt Nadal he just chokes up.

It seems like he just can't play the way he normally does, he always has to play like he does against Nadal. I think he just needs to realize he shouldn't change his style. Because Nadal just does his thing and lets Federer time and time beat himself.

See, look at the guy. He puts so much pressure on himself, he just needs to realize everyone still loves him and he has to do what got him there in the first place. Hopefully he can turn it around against Nadal.

Yup. Nadal just has the mental edge, above everything else. He plays every point the same as every other point, except when he's so close to winning crucial games. When his eyes are lit up, he's anticipating and then he struggles. However, other than those instances, Rafa's just a solid piece of rock. Federer is not the same, especially up against Nadal... Nadal, who always finds a way, who always competes for every point, who always, truly, comes up with his best when it comes down to it.

Roger has to mirror Nadal's mental game. It was suggested that he gets a coach, which is an interesting idea, and one that I think should be explored. Ultimately though, I believe Federer must find a way to realize it's not about who's on the other side of the net, it's about your own self and your own performance. Sure, you must pick up tendencies of your opponent, but getting away from your own game and what you're good at to adjust the to play of your competition is not going to result in success.

I'm still pulling for Federer to win at least another major title. A great champion like him can accomplish it.

Edited by luineul, 01 February 2009 - 07:05 AM.

Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#146 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:20 AM

Federere- Nadal= 6- 13 Numbers don't lie.[/img]

Federer had more winners than Nadal (71 to 50). Federer had more errors, that was the reason Nadal won.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but Federer lost this match more than Nadal won it.

After seeing them go to 5 sets in back to back matches, how can you say that Federer is "no where close to Nadal".
Posted Image

#147 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

Playing Nadal is as much a mental grind as it is a physical one, it seems that Federer gets frustrated and does something stupid because Nadal just does not make errors on the big points.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#148 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

So disappointed in the 5th set. Federer looked like he was gaining momentum when he won the 4th set, but when the 5th set came around, he looked like he wasn't even trying.

Also, his service game was the worst I have seen from him in years, under 50% in his first serve.

Edited by shiznak, 01 February 2009 - 12:25 PM.

2uzxbv4.jpg

#149 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,971 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Geez...fell asleep at the start of the last set! Guess I missed Federer's unravelling - not so sorry about that...I was really pulling for him. I agree with what others have said -this is now a mental thing for Federer (playing against Nadal) - Nadal's a big hurdle for him and it's thrown him off his game. You can see the moments of self doubt as they happen. Another example of how confidence can mess with the mind and make great players stumble (hello - Canucks anyone?). I also do think that Federer is on the decline of a great career...that being said, I think we'll still see great "moments" from him - just not the dominance that once was. He's beatable and he's had to adjust to that...it doesn't seem to be an easy thing for him. His serve was really an issue in the match and it's too bad - that really hurt him.

Nadal on the other hand is soaring. Hats off to him for playing that entire match - his stamina is unbelievable. And he is so focused during a match - the intensity is through the roof. His attitude comes across a little too strong for me at times - but maybe that's part of his mental edge.

Sad for Roger - he's become a favorite of mine. I laughed at him having issues with being introduced and having to enter as #2....(jokingingly, I assume, he stated that he'd preferred for them to just list his achievements instead of his ranking).

Edited by debluvscanucks, 01 February 2009 - 12:54 PM.

Posted Image

#150 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

Geez...fell asleep at the start of the last set! Guess I missed Federer's unravelling - not so sorry about that...I was really pulling for him. I agree with what others have said -this is now a mental thing for Federer (playing against Nadal) - Nadal's a big hurdle for him and it's thrown him off his game. You can see the moments of self doubt as they happen. Another example of how confidence can mess with the mind and make great players stumble (hello - Canucks anyone?). I also do think that Federer is on the decline of a great career...that being said, I think we'll still see great "moments" from him - just not the dominance that once was. He's beatable and he's had to adjust to that...it doesn't seem to be an easy thing for him. His serve was really an issue in the match and it's too bad - that really hurt him.

Nadal on the other hand is soaring. Hats off to him for playing that entire match - his stamina is unbelievable. And he is so focused during a match - the intensity is through the roof. His attitude comes across a little too strong for me at times - but maybe that's part of his mental edge.

Sad for Roger - he's become a favorite of mine. I laughed at him having issues with being introduced and having to enter as #2....(jokingingly, I assume, he stated that he'd preferred for them to just list his achievements instead of his ranking).

I guess it was a bit of a good thing you fell asleep. It just eats away at me, how he faltered like that. Oh! :(

Man it's such a shame you missed Verdasco's match against Nadal. To me, it equalled the Wimbledon match. I might be biased because it already seems far away from me, but it was 5 hours and 14 minutes of solid, consistent play from both players... It was absolutely nuts. I couldn't believe the shotmaking.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.