The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

That's it, Djokovic retired at 2-1 down in the 4th set.

They can close the roof at the end of a set, and hold off the match if it's dangerous. And yeah, it's up to the tournament referee (is that the chair umpire?). Azarenka was just hard to watch, she looked so sick out there

No Tournament referee is not the Chair umpire, chair umpire only runs the match, there is a supervisor who oversees the entire tournament.

60 degrees!? in Melbourne?

strewth...

The 'air' temperature only reached 37 in melbourne yesterday. Yes thats very uncomfortable and causing a few retirements, but its a dry heat, so you still get the natural cooling effect of sweating. They report the 'court temperature' which only alarms people and dosen't really serve any purpose. Hell everyone knows the earth surface can get hot to touch in summer, dosen't make it entirely unlivable up at head height.

All being said 41 degrees today, and shouldn't be too many outside games played. Should cause chaos with doubles, juniors etc matches.

All credit to Jelana Dokic. A qualifier making the semis and pushing #3 all the way. An almighty effort and a really heads up to the soft c**k players walking off when they feel they can't win anymore. Apologies to those obviously distressed by the heat.

Edited by soda

Got to 43 degress today, same predicted for Thursday and Friday. Saturday it backs off to 35. Smashing records for consecutive hottest days in Melbourne.

Power outages, rail commuter chaos (lines buckelling) & bushfires expected.

Any global warming naysayers have anything to say?

0,,6461486,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...115-661,00.html

Edited by soda

^

Yeah, they had to close the roof in the Williams/Kuznetsova match today...

^

Agreed.

Roddick and Federer play tonight at 12:30am on TSN, I think. I wonder if I can actually stay up...

Nvm, I think that match is tomorrow and Nadal's playing tonight... Or something...

Man the time differential is really confusing me, haha.

Think of it this way, the sun you see in west in the afternoon, is the same we are looking at in the east in the morning. But you are behind a day. So I listen to a 7pm Canuck Game played on a Tuesday, I start listening on wednesday at lunch time (subject to summer times).

So a tennis game here tonight Wednesday at 7pm, I know its Tuesday in Vancouver and the sun is long down, so around midnightish. The sun goes past you and comes to us, not really that much later.

Long distance between countries but not that far 'sun wise', eg longitude.

Edited by soda

The 'air' temperature only reached 37 in melbourne yesterday. Yes thats very uncomfortable and causing a few retirements, but its a dry heat, so you still get the natural cooling effect of sweating. They report the 'court temperature' which only alarms people and dosen't really serve any purpose. Hell everyone knows the earth surface can get hot to touch in summer, dosen't make it entirely unlivable up at head height.

All being said 41 degrees today, and shouldn't be too many outside games played. Should cause chaos with doubles, juniors etc matches.

i thought something was up with that. it's not possible to play when the air temp is 60.

Got to 43 degress today, same predicted for Thursday and Friday. Saturday it backs off to 35. Smashing records for consecutive hottest days in Melbourne.

Power outages, rail commuter chaos (lines buckelling) & bushfires expected.

Any global warming naysayers have anything to say?

0,,6461486,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...115-661,00.html

Send some of that global warming here please

Thunder Bay

Current Conditions

Mainly Clear

-29 °C

Observed at:

Thunder Bay Airport

Date:

8:00 AM EST Wednesday 28 January 2009

Condition:

Mainly Clear

Pressure:

101.3 kPa

Visibility:

32 km

Temperature:

-29.1°C

Dewpoint:

-32.7°C

Humidity:

71 %

Wind:

SW 4 km/h

Wind Chill:

Darn, Tsonga got eliminated. I was hoping for a last year semis rematch with him and Nadal.

I'm definately going to stay up for the Roddick and Federer match-up.

Yeah I'm going to try my hardest to see Feds play.

I was sort of rooting for Tsonga, but full credit goes to Verdasco, he really stuck to it. There's been so much emphasis on conditioning this tournament, but for a reason. Tsonga just ran out of steam... It should still be a good match between Nadal and Verdasco, especially since Verdasco's playing decently.

Are you guys getting the Australian media feed, or is all US commentators etc.

& Are they showing much of Melbourne or just the games.

Very hot again, hopefully only 1 more scorcher to go tomorrow.

Its actually pretty cool going outside briefly. It hits you like being in front of a heater.

Ahh Melbourne and its freaky weather

This was november 2 hours away, n503897226_1158866_6901.jpg