#1591 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Congrats to Roger!

I'm not the biggest Fed fan but even I will admit that all this time where either Rafa or Djokovic have been #1, it has still felt like Roger was above them. Doesn't really matter what the rankings say - Roger will always be #1.

I feel bad for Murray because he played so hard but he's a whiny little you-know-what. Flinging his head back and yelling at his box after every lost point. Argh seriously dude! But he was humble in defeat and it was great to see him get to a final again.

Wimby is an amazing tournament. Can't wait for the Olympics now!
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#1592 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Nadal is the king of clay for sure, but Federer is and really always has been the most consistent on everything else. It's doubtful that Nadal can play as good of tennis as Roger has given his aggressive style, which has already been shown to be taking it's toll on Nadal's body. He might not even be as good as he was a couple of years ago now.

Djokovic had such an amazing year and has really been playing at a high level ever since. Part of me likes him solely for the fact that he basically helps stop Nadal from really reachng Federer in title wins hopefully.

The one thing I will say however, is I'm honestly surprised Federer got number 1 spot back. He's actually playing more tennis now than he use to, and it paid off for him.

#1593 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Congrats to Roger!

I'm not the biggest Fed fan but even I will admit that all this time where either Rafa or Djokovic have been #1, it has still felt like Roger was above them. Doesn't really matter what the rankings say - Roger will always be #1.

I feel bad for Murray because he played so hard but he's a whiny little you-know-what. Flinging his head back and yelling at his box after every lost point. Argh seriously dude! But he was humble in defeat and it was great to see him get to a final again.

Wimby is an amazing tournament. Can't wait for the Olympics now!

Roger Federer is a great example of how you can be better than everyone else and yet remain self effacing and humble , a true inspiration to people all over the world .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#1594 Killa

Killa

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Roger is nice and humble when he's winning. When he loses he's pissy and cries about the way his opponent plays, rarely gives credit to his opponents, talks crap about others and things that don't concern him in the slightest

#1595 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Roger is nice and humble when he's winning. When he loses he's pissy and cries about the way his opponent plays, rarely gives credit to his opponents, talks crap about others and things that don't concern him in the slightest

Orly? That's not why he has been voted for most Gentleman like player of the year for 8 straight years. You're either a mad Rafa or Djokovic fan. Roger is by far the most classiest player on tour.

#1596 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

Orly? That's not why he has been voted for most Gentleman like player of the year for 8 straight years. You're either a mad Rafa or Djokovic fan. Roger is by far the most classiest player on tour.

He has gotten a bit arrogant over the years, although he's earned it. For the most part, he doesn't slam other players too much.

Except Murray. I feel as though he never really acknowledged Murray until today.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#1597 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

I agree

Tennis players in general are not great with admitting fault. Rafa blames the court conditions, Roger says his opponent was playing the wrong way, and everyone else finds a way to not give credit where it's due.

Roger has said many times that he doesn't like Djokovic's risky style of play and he feels that he slows the game down too much with his zillion ball bounces before every serve (which I agree with btw. The ball bounces need to stop). I think that is why Roger entered so many tournaments this year - he didn't believe Djokovic deserved the #1 rank and he made it a point to seize back the spot.
Posted Image

#1598 Killa

Killa

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

I am a Djokovic fan, but I have nothing to be mad about. I've just seen enough of Roger's post-match interviews to notice that he avoids giving other (at least established) players credit when he loses, unlike Nadal and Djokovic who are very quick to praise their opponent win or lose. They have more class than Roger can even dream of.

He's a great player but he absolutely cannot handle losses. Losing to Djokovic 2009 in Miami:

"But, I mean, it's the same thing for both players. Once one guy gets the upper hand, the other guy is a bit uncertain. It's tough, but he struggled bigtime in the first set.
So, you know, I finished worse than him. He played so bad in the first set, I had a great effort by finishing even worse than him. It was good."

Class.

There's also dodging compulsory military service because he has a bad back. I just have to question how he can be such a dominating player while being too injured to live up to his duty as a Swiss citizen.

Here's one about something that doesn't concern him in the slightest:
http://www.telegraph...er-Federer.html

Like I said, he's a great player and nobody can deny that. I think very little of him as a person though. His whole "nice guy" imagine looks incredibly manufactured and fake. Look just a tiny bit beneath it and he comes off as really bitter and snobby

Edited by Killa, 09 July 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#1599 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Kind of a disappointing Wimbledon for me.

I was hoping for the Scotsman, just to see a Brit finally win for a change; I can't stand either of the Williams sisters, so that was a downer and no Nestor in the doubles late round action...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1600 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think Nadal is the most gracious in defeat I have ever heard. I really like how Serena was so enthusiastic after her win. Thats awesome for the sport but in particular for her since sometimes she isn't on her best behavior.
Posted Image

#1601 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

I think Nadal is the most gracious in defeat I have ever heard. I really like how Serena was so enthusiastic after her win. Thats awesome for the sport but in particular for her since sometimes she isn't on her best behavior.

yeah it was great to see her that excited. Well deserved after all she's been through.

The women's game really needs a consistent #1 and some solid rivalries. Right now there is too much shuffling and moving around of seeds so no one is ever a clear favourite, and there are no polarizing storylines or figures that the media and fans can really latch on to. As a result, there is less interest in the women's tour than in the past like when the Williams sisters used to go up against each other. They also need closer matches where more semis and finals go to 3 sets with maybe even the occasional tiebreak. Parity sells tickets - I learned that from being a women's hockey fan :)
Posted Image

#1602 Azzy Mahmood

Azzy Mahmood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

He's Scottish when he wins, British when he loses.

Other way round.

Murray stated that time that he doesn't consider himself British. He's Scottish. So when he wins, he's winning for Scotland, not for Britain. While I don't overly care, it's his attitude towards the Wimbledon fans that gets my goat - "oh, I love you all, thank you for supporting this poor Scotsman, I can barely talk I'm so choked up".

GET OVER YOURSELF. THEY'RE CHEERING FOR A "BRIT", NOT FOR YOU.

#1603 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

yeah it was great to see her that excited. Well deserved after all she's been through.

The women's game really needs a consistent #1 and some solid rivalries. Right now there is too much shuffling and moving around of seeds so no one is ever a clear favourite, and there are no polarizing storylines or figures that the media and fans can really latch on to. As a result, there is less interest in the women's tour than in the past like when the Williams sisters used to go up against each other. They also need closer matches where more semis and finals go to 3 sets with maybe even the occasional tiebreak. Parity sells tickets - I learned that from being a women's hockey fan :)

I agree. I think if Serena was serious about it, she would be #1 but would have burned out 2 years ago. Sharapova is also great but she tanks matches too often.

There is a lot of talent on the womens side but nobody except Serena really stands out being able to dominate.
Posted Image

#1604 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image

Isner is a freak. Nice to see him and Milos spending time with this little guy on the right.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#1605 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Posted Image

Isner is a freak. Nice to see him and Milos spending time with this little guy on the right.

That would be Kei Nishikori. He is an upcoming player like Milos.

#1606 DiasTheDrifter

DiasTheDrifter

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

i dont understand watching a womans sport, i mean fine if you play it then good for you but its just not entertaining, the skill level is nowhere near the elite of mens sports.. womans tennis is worst of all too.. screaming hyenas

#1607 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Good to see Roger on top again :) He just needed some confidence, 90% of the game is in your head.
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#1608 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hey, does anyone here play tennis at a great level? I am 14 and looking for a scholarship for college :)
Posted Image

#1609 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hey, does anyone here play tennis at a great level? I am 14 and looking for a scholarship for college :)

I play, but not at a high level :(
Maybe you could join one the local clubs like Hollyburn?? Play some tournaments and that might help u get recruited.

Tough one for Rafa - withdrew from the Olympics due to knee tendonitis. Not only does he not get to defend his gold, but he was also supposed to be Spain's flag bearer
Posted Image

#1610 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

I play, but not at a high level :(
Maybe you could join one the local clubs like Hollyburn?? Play some tournaments and that might help u get recruited.

Tough one for Rafa - withdrew from the Olympics due to knee tendonitis. Not only does he not get to defend his gold, but he was also supposed to be Spain's flag bearer

Maybe! I do live in Dubai, some pretty tough competition :P
Posted Image

#1611 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Not a bad representation from tennis in the opening ceremony
Flag bearers:
Sharapova - Russia
Djokovic - Serbia
Wawrinka - Switzerland
Radwanska - Poland
Baghdatis - Cyprus
And of course Nadal would have been there too.

For anyone looking for an interesting and motivating read during the summer, make sure you check out RAFA - Nadal's autobiography. I started reading it yesterday and it's excellent. Really shows what a freak of nature he is and how he is a vastly different athlete from Roger.
Posted Image

#1612 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Flag bearers:
Sharapova - Russia
Djokovic - Serbia
Wawrinka - Switzerland
Radwanska - Poland
Baghdatis - Cyprus

For anyone looking for an interesting and motivating read during the summer, make sure you check out RAFA - Nadal's autobiography. I started reading it yesterday and it's excellent. Really shows what a freak of nature he is and how he is a vastly different athlete from Roger.

Max Mirnyi (Partnered with Canada's own Daniel Nestor on the tour) from Belarus was also a flag bearer. Also Horia Tecau from Romania, another doubles tennis player.

Edited by Toasta Brigger, 27 July 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#1613 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Flag bearers:
Sharapova - Russia
Djokovic - Serbia
Wawrinka - Switzerland
Radwanska - Poland
Baghdatis - Cyprus

I was a bit surprised that Rafa wasn't the flag bearer for Spain. It was Pau Gasol....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1614 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Max Mirnyi (Partnered with Canada's own Daniel Nestor on the tour) from Belarus was also a flag bearer. Also Horia Tecau from Romania, another doubles tennis player.

Thanks for catching those.

I was a bit surprised that Rafa wasn't the flag bearer for Spain. It was Pau Gasol....

Rafa was originally named flag bearer but he withdrew from the Olympics because of knee tendonitis so he was replaced by Gasol.

Stosur just hates Wimbledon. Another shocking exit. And Federer struggled with his footing a bit too on the re-seeded grass.

So weird to see the All England Club with the fuschia banners, sponsorship ads, and the players not wearing all white. The Club founders must be screaming in their graves!
Posted Image

#1615 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

So frustrating watching Raonic not get into any rallies on important points. These are easy shots he's missing.

#1616 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

So frustrating watching Raonic not get into any rallies on important points. These are easy shots he's missing.

Gutsy effort by him but if he wasn't acing serves I almost knew he wasn't going to win the point. His unforced errors make him an excruciating player to cheer for. Still needs a lot of work on that part of his game.

But a great showing against Tsonga who I'd like to think is the best player outside the big 3 (I feel like he's got more skill than Murray)

Tough loss for Pospisil/Nestor in doubles also :(
Posted Image

#1617 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Ahh pooh :( Rafa has withdrawn from the Rogers Cup. Given the additional Olympics tournament that the stars had to contend with this year, I hope more of them don't pull out of the Rog.
http://www.vancouver..._medium=twitter
Posted Image

#1618 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

Wow, what a game being played! So hoping for Roger, its 8-7 Del Potro, Federer serving.
Posted Image

#1619 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

This match is amazing. That dive shot by Del Potro to save serve, and probably the match... That was insane.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#1620 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Federer takes Brake. Wooo.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.