2114 replies to this topic

#1681 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm already looking forward to the Davis Cup tie Vs South Africa next week. Canada should cruise.

Agreed. Based on rankings alone their singles guys are ranked 152 and 172. And we have Raonic (15) and Pospisil (103) so we should be fine.

Great turnaround for Djok in the SF today. He played like crap before the match was suspended yesterday but was much better today. Crazy weather over there. I feel bad for Murray and Berdych to have been made to play in severe windy conditions like that. Ashe needs a roof badly lol
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#1682 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

What a match. Best women's final I've watched in years.

Serena was hitting so many unforced errors but luckily she hit a lot of winners too. To think that all Vika had to do was hold serve and she would have been the champion. But Serena stepped up her game at the right time and broke twice in a row. Can't believe she won her first US Open at age 17 and now at age 31 she's still winning. Great athlete. And congrats to Vika as well. Made Serena work for every point and very nearly took this match away.
Posted Image

#1683 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

It's good to see Peliwo win his 2nd junior grand slam and 4 GS final this year. Hopefully that success can translate into a strong ATP career.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#1684 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,581 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Wow, Murray is falling behind now.
Posted Image

#1685 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

High drama but low quality tennis at the moment. Lots of unforced errors. And Djokovic is not hitting his shots. Murray is engaging him in long rallies and waiting till Djokovic makes the errors. Neither player going for the real big winners.
Posted Image

#1686 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

congrats andy murray!
Posted Image

#1687 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,168 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

That was some great Tennis.

Congrats to Andy Murray on finally winning his first major.
Posted Image

#1688 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Andy Murray: Grand Slam Champion. I don't know that I like the sound of that <_<
But I will give Murray this: it has been the Big 3 in men's tennis for a long time and that's a pretty elite trio to crack. What he's done this summer with the gold medal and now the US Open, I think it legitimately makes him worthy of being considered the 4th member of the elite group.

Murray was by no means the better player in this match. He just had a strategy to make Djok play lots of long points and Djokovic was brutal with his unforced errors and couldn't sustain the pace.

Props to both players for playing such good tennis for 5 hours. That is incredible. And to the crowd who booed when Djok needed a medical timeout: clearly none of them have ever gotten up off their rear ends and played tennis before because if they had they'd have understood how Djokovic must have been feeling at that moment. Shame on those fans.

Still not a Murray fan, but congrats to him on his first Slam.
Posted Image

#1689 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

And with that, Nadal drops to #4 in the world.
Fed
Joker
Andy
Rafa

Oops...strange how the rankings work sometimes...Rafa remains at #3.

Raonic to #14!

EDIT:NM! I was right the first time. Andy to #3 and Milos to #15.

Edited by Donky, 11 September 2012 - 03:48 PM.

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#1690 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Horrible luck for South Africa for Davis Cup
First, Kevin Anderson bailed on the team and isn't playing for them
Then, they lost their next-best guy Rik de Voest to a wrist injury. He was replaced with Izak van der Merwe
Now, Izak van der Merwe was stung by a bee during the pre-match National anthems. No word on whether or not he'll be able to play
:lol:
Posted Image

#1691 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

Wow, was that a boring couple of matches. Bottom line is Canada is going to win this tie. The college kid Raonic faced was very cool under the circumstances and served extremely well. But his return of serve was poor and he couldn`t handle anything Milos threw at him. Pospisil didn`t play his best either and still beat Van de Merwe. Yeah gotta feel for the South Africans. Their program is in a shambles.

#1692 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Canada has clinched a spot in the Davis Cup World Group!
Great matches by all the players

Here's the "rookie initiation" that Vancouver's Filip Peliwo had to endure. Gangman Style on center court lol

Posted Image

#1693 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Raonic played really well tonight against #9 Tipsarevic. He faced off a third set tiebreak match point and served out the match with an Ace. Had 8 Break Point opps and converted 2 compared to Tipsarevic who had ZERO opportunities to break.

An infinitely better outing to the listless sputter he pulled in Bangkok.

On to the Semis vs Murray again.

#1694 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Milos saves another couple of match points tonight enroute to upsetting Andy Murray! He played very, very well tonight. Bonafide Top 10 player in the world when he plays like tonight. Some fantastic tennis. If he pulls it together again in the final he could move up to #12.

#1695 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Very nice upset. Did not see that coming.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#1696 CanucksMadrid

CanucksMadrid

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Does someone know where are going to play Spain and Canada the Davis Cup?

#1697 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

That is awesome Raonic upset Murray! I don't see any reason why he can't win tomorrow! It would be big for Canadian tennis :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1698 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

I couldn't stay awake long enough to follow live, but Raonic did end up losing to Nishikori in the final.

http://www.ctvnews.c...-final-1.986924

#1699 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I watched the final. Milos was not nearly as sharp and Kei was terrific. Losing the 1st set tiebreak was a killer. 6-0 in the 3rd was Kei getting adrenilin rush as Milos tired.

#1700 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Wow, Milos really blew it today. 1st round exit in the Valencia ATP 500 event. Worst part is that he was the only seed left in his half of the draw. Big opportunity blown. Tsonga retired, Tipsarevic retired and Isner had lost in the 2nd round. Milos should have at least gone to the final.

#1701 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

^ oyyy that's disappointing.

On the women's side, Serena is on a roll at the WTA Championship in Istanbul. Hard to believe that even after all her big wins recently she still can't finish the season any higher than 3rd.
Posted Image

#1702 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

With Federer's loss to Del Potro at the Swiss Indoors, and now with him pulling out of the Paris Masters, he has given up enough points that Djokovic will finish the season with the #1 ranking
Posted Image

#1703 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Raonic loses to Querry in Paris :(

Field was wide open with Federer pulling out, Rafa not there, and Djokovic, Murray, and Del Potro losing. Raonic has to start taking advantage of these opportunities. No better chance to win a Masters 1000 event than that.
Posted Image

#1704 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,581 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Murray loses to Tipsarevic in opening match at Abu Dhabi:

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates -- Andy Murray had a shaky start to his preparations for the 2013 season Thursday, losing in straight sets to Janko Tipsarevic in the opening match of the World Tennis Championship exhibition tournament.

Two early breaks in each set helped Tipsarevic dispatch the third-ranked Murray 6-3, 6-4. The ninth-ranked Serb now faces Nicolas Almagro, a late replacement for Rafael Nadal who pulled out of the tournament with a stomach bug.

"It's not every day that you get to play a Grand Slam champion and an Olympic gold medallist ," Tipsarevic said. "I know it's an early season tournament but I can tell you that the six of us take this very seriously. I knew I could beat Andy as I have beaten him before. He's a totally different animal now as he won a Grand Slam and Olympic gold so beating him here has given me confidence. Both of us have very similar games so it's great to come out on top."

In Thursday's other match, fifth-ranked David Ferrer swept aside No. 6 Tomas Berdych 6-2, 6-4 to set up a semifinal against top-ranked Novak Djokovic, who won the tournament last year. Ferrer easily won the first set after jumping out to a 5-0 lead and broke Berdych early in the second to clinch the win.

"I played well today and I was surprised as it has been a long time without playing a competition," Ferrer said. "It's a fast court and this was the first time I played at night but I played a good game. I will enjoy a victory for now but tomorrow I will have to play my best against Novak."

Ahead of his title defence in Abu Dhabi, Djokovic said he was excited about the 2013 season and that he's making the French Open -- the only Grand Slam tournament he has yet to win -- his top goal of the year.

"I managed to have the best year of my career in 2011 and I knew that it was going to be difficult in 2012 to maintain No. 1 in the world and play consistently," Djokovic said. "I did, and so this year was an even more successful year from a psychological aspect. ... Ambitions are always high and I want to win every Grand Slam and major tournament I play and this year is no different."

http://www.tsn.ca/te...tory/?id=412327
Posted Image

#1705 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

Rafa pulled out of the Australian Open due to a "stomach virus". I seriously doubt that's the reason he's pulled out. His knee obviously hasn't recovered like he hoped it would. I hope it gets better soon..Tennis isn't the same without him.

#1706 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

^

Oh no, seriously? Ugh. This is horrible... No one can fill his void.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#1707 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

He's only 26 too. It would be really sad if a legend like him was forced to retire while he was still in his prime.
The ATP tour is not the same without him.

His absense also means that he won't be coming to Vancouver for the Davis Cup tournament against Canada. Ferrer and Almagro also will not be participating. Should make it an easy win for Raonic and co. but it would have been nice to watch those guys play. Not every day that Vancouver gets to host the best in tennis like that.
Posted Image

#1708 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Always liked Federer more than Nadal, but sad to see Nadal hit the wall like that. I think everyone knew it was coming with the way he played and how he got so many injuries to his knees and legs. It only really goes down from there unless he changes his style.. but how do you change a style that got you so much success? Seems kind of sad that this could give Federer the nod for the greatest player ever when Nadal could've had a legitment shot at taking that crown.

Definitely sucks to not have Nadal, considering Federer is quickly approaching the twilight of his career. Murray is a headcase but has finally won and gotten the monkey off his back. Djokovic has lots of potential to be dominant. Wonder if this will give Federer some potential to sneak in some more major wins.

#1709 J-rome

J-rome

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I can't wait for Davis Cup in Van again. it was so much fun last time. Anyone looking for Davis Cup ticket message me. I have extas I am looking to sell.

Be great to get some loud Canadians at UBC to cheer on the boys.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#1710 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yes!!! Australian open starts tonight!!
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.