The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Ah well...

Still a great showing by all the Canadian players both male and female at Rogers Cup. Really good sign for Canadian tennis

Congrats to Rafa and Serena on their wins. They truly are two of the best in the sport's history so it's fitting that Rogers Cup championships be a part of their careers

Am I the only one who prefers Pospisil over Raonic? I feel that he has a more complete game. Yeah he has a big serve like Raonic does, but he's more mobile, has a wider array of strokes he can hit, and makes far fewer unforced errors.

And Pospisil is more fun to watch. Shows some emotion, works the crowd, interacts with others a bit more...

I predict bigger things for Pospisil than Raonic in the figure. Just my opinion though.

I was just thinking all of this the other day. I completely agree.

Am I the only one who prefers Pospisil over Raonic? I feel that he has a more complete game. Yeah he has a big serve like Raonic does, but he's more mobile, has a wider array of strokes he can hit, and makes far fewer unforced errors.

And Pospisil is more fun to watch. Shows some emotion, works the crowd, interacts with others a bit more...

I predict bigger things for Pospisil than Raonic in the figure. Just my opinion though.

The thing about Prospisil is he performs for home crowds - he's an emotional player who thrives off of the energy.

That's good and bad. But make no mistake, there's a reason the younger Raonic is ranked significantly higher. He is the better player.

Yes, Prospisil is more athletic, but his advantage stops there. Raonic's serve and forehand are world class - enough to propel him to #10 in the world. If he can ever get his backhand and consistency to another level, hell be challenging the top 4. Remember, he's 22.

While watching Milos and Vasek play I was thinking to myself that Vasek would have had a better shot the Milos to beat either Rafa or Djokovic. It's easy to say now, but with the way Rafa had Raonic running around, I feel like Vasek would have put up a bigger fight, and while he may not have won, it would have been closer. Raonic needs to work on his movement.

The thing about Prospisil is he performs for home crowds - he's an emotional player who thrives off of the energy.

That's good and bad. But make no mistake, there's a reason the younger Raonic is ranked significantly higher. He is the better player.

Yes, Prospisil is more athletic, but his advantage stops there. Raonic's serve and forehand are world class - enough to propel him to #10 in the world. If he can ever get his backhand and consistency to another level, hell be challenging the top 4. Remember, he's 22.

His forehand is world class for sure but he's not able to execute nearly enough. It's why his unforced error count is always so high.

I agree with the theory that Pospisil would have put up a better fight against Rafa. He still would have lost but it wouldn't have been such a "clinic" as Raonic himself put it. The match wasn't even fun to watch because Raonic matches never have any flow. There are no sustained rallies because he never gets that far. And if he does, you just know its going to end in an unforced error.

Pospisil can give it his all on a forehand too but unlike Raonic he consistently hits his mark

I'm interested to see how Pospisil does in the future. Hopefully how he played at Rogers wasn't a fluke. More like a sign of good things to come

Eugenie Bouchard plays Serena in Cincinatti tomorrow. Interested to see how she fares

Bouchard certainly held her own by taking a set - she has a bright future.

Raonic advances and Pospisil is out. I hate to say it, but he needs to find a way to elevate his game outside of Canada. If he doesn't, he's going to struggle to compete in the top 40. He lost to a qualifier today.

Inset v Raonic has the makings of a good match. Whose serve will crack first. Lets hope we don't see any of Raonic's 120 km second serves :P

Bouchard played great against Serena. She has a great pace to her game. Impressive that she was able to win a set. Even the likes of Azarenka, Sharapova, and Radwanska are not usually able to do that.

Raonic lost to Isner today. It seems to me that he wins a lot of his sets by only one break or in a tiebreak. He never pushes to go up a double break if he can. He's content to send things to a tiebreak and then he loses. In the 2nd set today he was up 4-1 and lost 6-4. I don't think he'll be in the top 10 for long. His game is not reflective of a top 10 player at all.

Bouchard played great against Serena. She has a great pace to her game. Impressive that she was able to win a set. Even the likes of Azarenka, Sharapova, and Radwanska are not usually able to do that.

Raonic lost to Isner today. It seems to me that he wins a lot of his sets by only one break or in a tiebreak. He never pushes to go up a double break if he can. He's content to send things to a tiebreak and then he loses. In the 2nd set today he was up 4-1 and lost 6-4. I don't think he'll be in the top 10 for long. His game is not reflective of a top 10 player at all.

I read that he had to get his armed checked again just like in Montreal. How big a factor could that have been in his collapse?

Shocking about Bartoli. Not sure why she wouldn't just take some time off. Serena took almost an entire year of when she has the blood clots. She was in serious condition but quitting tennis all together never even crossed her mind. Sounds to me like Bartoli knows that winning Wimbledon is a one-time thing for her. She's not capable of winning another Slam event or even a WTA Premier event, so she might as well retire while at the highest point her career will ever be at. Still premature in my opinion though.

Fed vs Rafa was a fantastic match. A good sign for Fed that he can still play at that level. He still has some magic left to produce! Bummer about Djokovic though. He has only won one Slam and one 1000 event (Monte Carlo) this year. Meanwhile, Rafa is raking up titles.

Yeah tough news about Mardy Fish. Doesn't sound like he's back on track since his heart procedure.

In other news, Maria Sharapova has withdrawn from the US Open with a shoulder injury. Prior to doing that though, she was trying to legally change her name to Maria SUGARpova - the name of her brand of candies. :rolleyes: