The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

As much as we can hate on her for playing that card, she has a very valid point though, and the fact men in Tennis are backing her up just proves her point more though.

If you say so....to me it looks like someone whining about losing a match.

She had no control over what her coach did, but she certainly had control over smashing her racquet and abusing the umpire verbally.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If you say so....to me it looks like someone whining about losing a match.

She had no control over what her coach did, but she certainly had control over smashing her racquet and abusing the umpire verbally.

Dude you watch baseball and you're upset with her hitting the ground with her racquet once? Really? 

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Dude you watch baseball and you're upset with her hitting the ground with her racquet once? Really? 

I'm not upset at all. I think Serena is an entitled Diva and I think she plays the race/gender card when things don't go her way.

She's a great player, but she's also a sore loser.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not upset at all. I think Serena is an entitled Diva and I think she plays the race/gender card when things don't go her way.

She's a great player, but she's also a sore loser.

Fair enough!

I'll admit I was leaning more to being just a competitor, and I know a bit from experience because I'm a competitor when I play sports and emotions sometimes overcome things because you like to win.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Fair enough!

I'll admit I was leaning more to being just a competitor, and I know a bit from experience because I'm a competitor when I play sports and emotions sometimes overcome things because you like to win.

I think the thing that bothers me about all the "support" Serena is getting is that it's mostly coming form Americans who aren't happy she lost, or ex-pros, who believe that because they got away with saying something 2 decades ago with a different umpire, the fact that this umpire is a stickler for the rules equates to sexism.

Furthermore, the Serena fans are using this to try and diminish what was a career defining moment for Osaka and the American fans who booed her win are just as bad as Williams herself.

I've despised SW ever since she threatened the line judge a few years back because she didn't like a call and this latest incident tells me I was right to do so.

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think the thing that bothers me about all the "support" Serena is getting is that it's mostly coming form Americans who aren't happy she lost, or ex-pros, who believe that because they got away with saying something 2 decades ago with a different umpire, the fact that this umpire is a stickler for the rules equates to sexism.

Furthermore, the Serena fans are using this to try and diminish what was a career defining moment for Osaka and the American fans who booed her win are just as bad as Williams herself.

I've despised SW ever since she threatened the line judge a few years back because she didn't like a call and this latest incident tells me I was right to do so.

I thought they were booing the umpire and the outcome from his decisions on Serena, not booing the winner, and in the trophy ceremony they booed some guy not the actual winner, maybe some losers did boo, but the majority was cheering for her still.

I understand you have you opinion on her and that's cool not going to change your mind on how you feel about her, due to past experiences too. But have you never played a sport maybe when you were younger and were competitive to win, and just didn't agree with an official on a call and got upset over the call? I'll find it hard to believe you never did especially if you played competitive, but if you didn't play competitive maybe not then, but it's different.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I thought they were booing the umpire and the outcome from his decisions on Serena, not booing the winner, and in the trophy ceremony they booed some guy not the actual winner, maybe some losers did boo, but the majority was cheering for her still.

I understand you have you opinion on her and that's cool not going to change your mind on how you feel about her, due to past experiences too. But have you never played a sport maybe when you were younger and were competitive to win, and just didn't agree with an official on a call and got upset over the call? I'll find it hard to believe you never did especially if you played competitive, but if you didn't play competitive maybe not then, but it's different.

Yeah, I've played competitive, in quite a few sports, actually. (You may have noticed my sig. They don't send house league teams across the country for tournaments) And whenever I lost it on a ref or ump, I fully expected to be penalized for it.

As far as the fans booing the umpire, I'm sure that's what they were doing, just as I'm sure if they had taken a moment to think about it, they would have realized how disrespectful it was to Osaka.

Or, maybe they didn't care...

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I've played competitive, in quite a few sports, actually. (You may have noticed my sig. They don't send house league teams across the country for tournaments) And whenever I lost it on a ref or ump, I fully expected to be penalized for it.

As far as the fans booing the umpire, I'm sure that's what they were doing, just as I'm sure if they had taken a moment to think about it, they would have realized how disrespectful it was to Osaka.

Or, maybe they didn't care...

Unfortunately Sig doesn't show up on my phone, but still emotions got the best of you, so to be upset with her behaviour because the emotions got the best of her is kind of contradicting I think. Did you really feel you deserved to be penalized though for sticking up for what you believed was right? Or you knew that you would get penalized anyways because that's just the normal for that situation, because no matter what, you won't win even if you're right.

You could say the same about the NHL and every time Bettman comes out to announce something to a winning team and they boo they must not care then too? Every fan in the NHL must be a disrespectful person then too.....

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Unfortunately Sig doesn't show up on my phone, but still emotions got the best of you, so to be upset with her behaviour because the emotions got the best of her is kind of contradicting I think. Did you really feel you deserved to be penalized though for sticking up for what you believed was right? Or you knew that you would get penalized anyways because that's just the normal for that situation, because no matter what, you won't win even if you're right.

You could say the same about the NHL and every time Bettman comes out to announce something to a winning team and they boo they must not care then too? Every fan in the NHL must be a disrespectful person then too.....

It isn't so much being upset as believing that she doesn't deserve sympathy and I think she's using this gender issue as a smokescreen for her poor behavior on court. Her line in the press conference stating that "maybe the next woman won't have to endure what I endured" was cringeworthy, IMO. She "endured" the prescribed penalty for a rule violation and then threw a tantrum, which is my point. She wasn't "standing up for what she believes in any more than McEnroe did in his heyday. She was having a fit, because she didn't like a call and as I've already pointed out, it isn't the first time.

Chalk it up to "competitiveness" or "standing up for what she believes in" if you like, but the bottom line is, she and her supporters are complaining because an umpire followed the rules, and to suggest that he did so because of her gender, or skin color is disingenuous. This ump is noted for being a stickler for the rules. Serena and her coach should have known that going in, yet he decided to circumvent the rules anyway.

If she really didn't know anything about it, she should be upset with her coach for putting her in that situation, rather than attempting to diminish Osaka's win by playing the race/gender card.

To further clarify, here is the opinion of one of the all time greats. I have respect for her opinion not just because of her status as a player, but because she isn't an American:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/tennis/martina-navratilova-what-serena-got-wrong/ar-BBN9F4m?li=AAggNb9

To recap: The trouble began when early in the second set, Ms. Williams was given a warning for coaching. This one is on her coach: Patrick Mouratoglou was using both hands to motion to Ms. Williams to move forward and got called on it. While it is true that illegal coaching is quite common and that most coaches do it, it’s also true that despite what many commentators have said following Saturday’s events, they are called on it quite frequently and that most of the time, players just shrug it off and know that going forward, they and their coaches now need to behave, because the next infraction will cost them a point. The player is responsible for his or her coach’s conduct. And it is actually irrelevant whether the player saw or heard whatever instructions were given; either way, it is still an infraction.

Ms. Williams was not happy about this warning and let the umpire, Carlos Ramos, know it. So far, not so bad. (It is also common for the umpire to talk to the player first about the coaching — a sort of “soft warning” before the real warning so that the player has a chance to “muzzle” the coach. Had that been done, nothing at all might have followed — but we will never know.)

It was a few games later when matters really escalated. Williams lost her serve at 3-1 up and demolished her racket — an automatic code violation that, because it came on top of an earlier warning, resulted in the automatic loss of one point.

Ms. Williams opted to argue about this: She insisted that she didn’t cheat, she wasn’t coached, and therefore she shouldn’t have been docked. But it doesn’t matter whether she knew she was receiving coaching. She was being coached, as Mr. Mouratoglou admitted after the match, and whether she knew it or not is moot. So at this stage, she had been given a warning — one that couldn’t be dismissed retroactively — and had smashed her racket, an automatic violation. Mr. Ramos, effectively, had no choice but to dock her a point.

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It isn't so much being upset as believing that she doesn't deserve sympathy and I think she's using this gender issue as a smokescreen for her poor behavior on court. Her line in the press conference stating that "maybe the next woman won't have to endure what I endured" was cringeworthy, IMO. She "endured" the prescribed penalty for a rule violation and then threw a tantrum, which is my point. She wasn't "standing up for what she believes in any more than McEnroe did in his heyday. She was having a fit, because she didn't like a call and as I've already pointed out, it isn't the first time.

Chalk it up to "competitiveness" or "standing up for what she believes in" if you like, but the bottom line is, she and her supporters are complaining because an umpire followed the rules, and to suggest that he did so because of her gender, or skin color is disingenuous. This ump is noted for being a stickler for the rules. Serena and her coach should have known that going in, yet he decided to circumvent the rules anyway.

If she really didn't know anything about it, she should be upset with her coach for putting her in that situation, rather than attempting to diminish Osaka's win by playing the race/gender card.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the gender part of the issue, but more on what lead to her going there is more of the issue I see. I think I'm just still shocked by how many people out there now a days have such soft skin towards this issue, I've seen way worse before but people are making this incident out like it's the worst thing they've ever seen before, kind of blowing it a little out of proportion imo. I think many are forgetting about the competitiveness in sports and the will to want to win, and haven't played competitive sports enough to truely understand it or been in a position like that before. I understand your dislike for it goes back a few years because of her actions so I understood that, but I don't think everyone is upset with her because of those actions just this incident, and I believe it's been blown out of proportion.

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the gender part of the issue, but more on what lead to her going there is more of the issue I see. I think I'm just still shocked by how many people out there now a days have such soft skin towards this issue, I've seen way worse before but people are making this incident out like it's the worst thing they've ever seen before, kind of blowing it a little out of proportion imo. I think many are forgetting about the competitiveness in sports and the will to want to win, and haven't played competitive sports enough to truely understand it or been in a position like that before. I understand your dislike for it goes back a few years because of her actions so I understood that, but I don't think everyone is upset with her because of those actions just this incident, and I believe it's been blown out of proportion.

This is where we disagree: From where I sit, Serena is the one who turned it into an incident. The Umpire followed the rules.

I haven't seen anyone else react like it's the worst thing they've ever seen.

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is where we disagree: From where I sit, Serena is the one who turned it into an incident. The Umpire followed the rules.

I haven't seen anyone else react like it's the worst thing they've ever seen.

I never said it wasn't an incident, but it's an incident that's not worth me being upset with her over imo, if anything makes me support her more because she was just standing up for what she felt was right, and I believe she handled it fine, I would of handled it way worse tbh probably and other players have handled situations like this way worse then what she did. 

I've read a bunch on this issue online and the backlash she's getting from people blows my mind, heck someone even on here wants to go as low and shame her on her weight because he's so upset with the incident, like give me a break.

28 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I never said it wasn't an incident, but it's an incident that's not worth me being upset with her over imo, if anything makes me support her more because she was just standing up for what she felt was right, and I believe she handled it fine, I would of handled it way worse tbh probably and other players have handled situations like this way worse then what she did. 

I've read a bunch on this issue online and the backlash she's getting from people blows my mind, heck someone even on here wants to go as low and shame her on her weight because he's so upset with the incident, like give me a break.

Again we disagree. As someone who's reffed hundreds of games between Hockey and Football, I can tell you that people getting mad and complaining about calls comes with the territory. However, when they get personal and question your honesty, as Williams did when she called the Umpire "a thief" a line has been crossed,

If you "handled it worse" in any game I ever officiated, you would have found yourself in the showers in short order.

Also, I'm not sure what you're reading, but from what I can see there is far more support for her than "backlash".

In any event, I don't think either of us are going to change our minds on this, so you can carry on thinking she was just standing up for herself and I'll go on believing she's an entitled diva who was losing and decided to play the victim card instead of accepting the consequences of her actions.

I

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Again we disagree. As someone who's reffed hundreds of games between Hockey and Football, I can tell you that people getting mad and complaining about calls comes with the territory. However, when they get personal and question your honesty, as Williams did when she called the Umpire "a thief" a line has been crossed,

If you "handled it worse" in any game I ever officiated, you would have found yourself in the showers in short order.

Also, I'm not sure what you're reading, but from what I can see there is far more support for her than "backlash".

In any event, I don't think either of us are going to change our minds on this, so you can carry on thinking she was just standing up for herself and I'll go on believing she's an entitled diva who was losing and decided to play the victim card instead of accepting the consequences of her actions.

I

Lol you probably would have :lol: I know because I stand by what I believe is right even if a rule overturns what I still believe is right, I always speak my mind and I'm not afraid of being penalized or ejected for what I believe is right.

Well their supporting her more on the gender side of the issue, but the backlash is from the incidents that took place and the fact people seem to believe she stole the show from Osaka and was so disrespectful to her for taking the stage away from someone who just I guess won her first title or something, but that isn't the case at all imo, just someone believing in what they felt was right and being competitive because they like to win, that's just part of sports.

Lol yup, and not trying to change your mind, just showing you my mind of how I feel on it, but yes we definitely have different views on the situation. I also don't know her history or other incidents like you do about her, so that's not influencing my opinion on her and this, maybe it would be different if I followed the sport more not sure though, but anyways cheers!

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Amazing comeback by Shapo in Davis Cup. Canada up 2-0 over the Netherlands with Raonic's straight set win earlier in the day.

Particularly impressed with the adjustments Shapovalov was able to make to his game over the course of the match. Took off some pace and added some spin to his groundstrokes to cut down on the unforced errors. Forced Haase to play more aggresively and take more risks instead of waiting for his opponent to miss. 

3 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Particularly impressed with the adjustments Shapovalov was able to make to his game over the course of the match. Took off some pace and added some spin to his groundstrokes to cut down on the unforced errors. Forced Haase to play more aggresively and take more risks instead of waiting for his opponent to miss. 

I wonder how much of that is due to Dancevic and the coaching that is allowed in Davis Cup.