The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

12 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

2nd biggest win of his career (after beating Fed at Wimbledon in 2016)

Zverev has developed a bit of reputation as a grand slam underachiever. I'd say Raonic's 2nd biggest career win came against Wawrinka in the fourth round at the 2016 AO, who was also world #4 at the time but had won 2 grand slams up to that point.

Disappointing to see Raonic lose last night. Pouille was definitely a beatable opponent. When I tuned in it was looking good, (up 4-1 in the first) but it went south faster than Peter Chiarelli's tenure in Edmonton. I didn't watch the whole match, but from what I did see, he was off the form he had been showing up to that point.

On the bright side, Serena lost as well, so it wasn't a total loss.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bianca Andreescu started the year as the world #152.

By advancing to the final of the BNP Paribas Open, she will be ranked at least #33 by Monday. She's 27-3 this season and is currently 6th overall in rank points earned this year. If you didn't know her name before, you really should now.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Bianca Andreescu started the year as the world #152.

By advancing to the final of the BNP Paribas Open, she will be ranked at least #33 by Monday. She's 27-3 this season and is currently 6th overall in rank points earned this year. If you didn't know her name before, you really should now.

She's 18, Felix is 18, and Denis is 19. The future is bright and Raonic isn't just stepping aside either! He's playing in the semi tomorrow to try to reach his 4th Masters 1000 final and 2nd at this tourny

• 2 weeks later...

Felix loses to Isner....disappointing, but not really a surprise. I'll be even less surprised if Shapo loses to Feds.

Still, two Canucks in the semis speaks pretty well for the country, especially when neither of them is Milos...

Edited by RUPERTKBD

This is first time since early 1990s that two teenagers from the same country has made the Semis of a ATP level tournament ( Sampras and Chang were the other teen duo from same nation, in 91 or 92 IIRC).

From what i have seen of them so far, Felix's game is more well rounded than Denis's, though Denis definitely has bigger weapons in his arsenal as of now. Right now Felix is a poor man's Novak and Denis is a poor man's reverse Federer. Denis shows better focus on the big points, as Felix effectively beat himself against Isner. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Federer, at age 37, reaches the final (yet again) at Wimbledon.  He’s the best ever.  But why aren’t the younger guys pushing him more?  He’s like Laver and Rosewal for longevity.  Might be a gap in top players coming up right now?  Lots of young guys hit the ball a million miles an hour, but can they actually play tennis?  Federer is a complete player.  

I like our young guy, Felix.  He plays tennis the right way.  He will win majors.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1