The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

@SabreFan1

I'm not trying to change your mind but just wondering have you watched her play before?Did you watch  Bianca vs Townsend a week ago..

She's been choked since the Townsend match. 

She's been heckled she's been booed. It was rough and she came out in the media and talked about it. 

She's shoving it down their throat. 

This is a world class athlete.  Very competitive. They don't let things go easily. 

If you knew how the crowd tried to heckle and try to get her to double fault you would know she's not sorry for their feelings.

Trust me she's shoving the proverbial ball down the crowds throat.

But you don't have to agree.  Just helps having all the info. 

Andreescu: "It was really fun other than the crowd being against me...It's definitely not an easy situation especially when they are cheering during my serve or saying double fault.."

https://www.narcity.com/sports/ca/bianca-andreescu-us-open-booing-pitted-canada-against-the-usa

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I wasn't cheering for either one really, but I was happy for the people cheering on CDC.  I've never been a fan of the Williams' sisters.

oh come on, I expected more than that! 

Pretty happy for Bianca, its quite the accomplishment. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Come over to the dark side my friend...

I counter your offer with an offer to join the winning side!

the-battle-of-the-century-american-bald-

The funny part of this picture is when it originally hit the internet many more Canadians talked about their hatred for the Canada Goose than there were Canadians complaining about being picked on.  Some of the horror stories about goose attacks were hilarious.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Aw, it makes me sad.  I had pet geese as a kid (they were snow geese though).

I don't get why Canadians hate the Canada goose.  I've never had one so much as even look at me cross-eyed.  The only slightly annoying thing is their tiny human-like poops.

Don't be sad, I remember looking further into the story after the pictures became a meme, the goose was only playing dead.  Once the eagle shifted it's weight, the goose flew like h*ll to the nearby pond and ducked under water every time the eagle tried to grab him.  The eagle eventually perched in a nearby tree for a while, got tired of waiting, and then finally gave up and flew away.

Not sure though how much longer a goose who picks fights with large birds of prey live though.  Unlike in the human world, Darwinism is still nature's highest and surest law.

6 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Why?

It started right away.  When they came into tennis they were like bulls in a china shop and ruffled feathers which got them ignored and disliked by the other girls in the WTA.  They whined and cried racism for years because they weren't popular.  Eventually they stopped blaming racism because it had little to nothing to do with it, and they became more popular as newer previously unexposed fans started watching.

I never became a fan.  At best I'm apathetic when it comes to both Serena and Venus.  I don't care whether they win or lose.

Edited by SabreFan1

11 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It started right away.  When they came into tennis they were like bulls in a china shop and ruffled feathers which got them ignored and disliked by the other girls in the WTA.  They whined and cried racism for years because they weren't popular.  Eventually they stopped blaming racism because it had little to nothing to do with it, and they became more popular as newer previously unexposed fans started watching.

I never became a fan.  At best I'm apathetic when it comes to both Serena and Venus.  I don't care whether they win or lose.

How do you know that it wasn't racism, are you of color?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hogs & Podz said:

There's no point in getting into a deep discussion about race when neither of us can prove if it was truly racism or not. 

The fact of the matter is that when they finally started to calm down, throw a whole lot fewer temper tantrums, and just play the game, the same exact people they accused of being racist warmed up to them and the crowds started to root for them.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

There's no point in getting into a deep discussion about race when neither of us can prove if it was truly racism or not. 

The fact of the matter is that when they finally started to calm down, throw a whole lot fewer temper tantrums, and just play the game, the same exact people they accused of being racist warmed up to them and the crowds started to root for them.

I'll agree with you here.  I think like anyone, they needed to mature.  However, it doesn't mean their message was wrong or incorrect.  Nevertheless, if you want people to hear you, it how you relay the message that makes all the difference.  

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I'll agree with you here.  I think like anyone, they needed to mature.  However, it doesn't mean their message was wrong or incorrect.  Nevertheless, if you want people to hear you, it how you relay the message that makes all the difference.  

I never knew for sure, only the people involved do, but I didn't like the way they or their father went about everything.  When he finally left the picture and the girls just played tennis and stopped playing the blame game, everything got better for them.

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats probably true. 

Ah well, either way proud day for Canada. No question who the Canadian athlete of the year is now. 

It'll be a female for sure.  Up until this weekend I heard talks of Brooke Henderson being a lock for it.  

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It'll be a female for sure.  Up until this weekend I heard talks of Brooke Henderson being a lock for it.  

Brooke is amazing for sure. I think Bianca will be the one tho, given the stage and who she beat. 

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Tennis is traditionally a very white sport. I remember Author Ash talking about that back in the 70’s.  I could definitely believe the William’s sisters experienced some racism in tennis.  I really like to watch Serena play.  She’s an impressive athlete.  Bianca appears to have that same athleticism.  

• Upvote 1