The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

A shame that Shapo's insane forehand winner on championship point was ultimately for naught, but he has nothing to be ashamed of.

Denis and Vasek deserve nothing but praise for answering the call for Canada the entire week. Felix was put in a tough spot but did the best he could. Hope to see them all healthy next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

What an amazing showing by Shap (vs Djokovic) yesterday.  He lost but, my God, he could have easily won it too.  

Anyone see it?  He's got a really bright future.

Was not at all a fan of how the crowd treated Shapovalov during the match. Repeatedly interupted his serves with noise. It got bad enough that the chair umpire basically had to tell the crowd off.

Shapovalov has been steadily improving his composure and shot selection since the middle of last year and especially since Mikhail Youzhny became his coach. I won't be surprised if he cracks the top ten this season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Was not at all a fan of how the crowd treated Shapovalov during the match. Repeatedly interupted his serves with noise. It got bad enough that the chair umpire basically had to tell the crowd off.

Shapovalov has been steadily improving his composure and shot selection since the middle of last year and especially since Mikhail Youzhny became his coach. I won't be surprised if he cracks the top ten this season. 

Me either....it was ridiculous.  Bunch of clowns with zero respect...I thought the umpire tried to address it and his wording was direct and intended to shame them.  But they were too stupid.

Thing is, I didn't think I really liked Djokovich but he seemed genuinely ticked off by it.  That moved him into the other side for me.

Disappointing news today, as Bianca has withdrawn from the Australian Open. Her knee rehab isn't far enough along to allow her to play.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/tennis/andreescu-withdraws-from-australian-open-with-knee-injury/ar-BBYQRQ9?li=AAggNb9

As disappointing as it is to miss a major, she's got her entire career ahead of her and there's no point taking chances....

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe Andreescu has been the best thing for Bouchard. I know it's early in the AO. But I've never seen her look so driven and focused. Now she knows she's got to bring it.

Then again the Australian Open has been one of her best tourneys. 

It’s just qualifying.  

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe Andreescu has been the best thing for Bouchard. I know it's early in the AO. But I've never seen her look so driven and focused. Now she knows she's got to bring it.

Then again the Australian Open has been one of her best tourneys. 

Genie is kind of like house money now.....most of us have pretty much given up on her, so if she does well, it's a pleasant surprise....

...much like Vasek in the Davis Cup....