The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

uh oh....get ready crowfro lol

Get ready for what? What did I say that was bad? Just stating the fact. Not saying he's a bad player. He's obviously got lots of raw talent with the size, skating, and the shot. Just needs more time to develop.

they have this poll going on Saint John Sea Dogs official website

the question was:

Who has been Saint John's top defenseman this season?

Nathan Beaulieu- 33%

Kevin Gagné- 26.2%

Simon Després- 21.4%

Yann Sauvé- 13.5%

Other- 5.9%

a total of 355 people voted when i got these results

huh...that's interesting. Not the greatest sign. Might be quite a few years before Sauve is even close to being in the NHL.

huh...that's interesting. Not the greatest sign. Might be quite a few years before Sauve is even close to being in the NHL.

OR you could take a quick peek at the Stats and infer what you wish:

Nathan Beaulieu 12G 33A 45Pts 40PIM +43

Kevin Gagné      4G 25A 29Pts 40PIM +39

Simon Després    9G 38A 47Pts 87PIM +26  	

Yann Sauvé       7G 29A 36Pts 65PIM +42

seems like yann just quietly goes about his job and the others seem like fan favorites (especially Gagne)

Yann Sauvé       7G 29A 36Pts 65PIM +42

seems like yann just quietly goes about his job and the others seem like fan favorites (especially Gagne)

hmm..I infer that judging by these stats that hopefully these other defencemen are fantastic prospects cause Sauve isn't blowing them away in any statistical department on top of only being voted 4th best defenseman on his team.

Honestly I from what I've seen of Sauve and judging by a few stats and facts that he is a long long way from being an NHL caliber defenceman. But that's just my opinion. I would like the Canucks to draft some defencemen more so based on Hockey IQ and dependability rather than physical ability. Ellington, Sauve and Connauton all are great physical specimens but from what I read the big knock on all of them is hockey IQ, something that concerns me as it is a pretty important thing for a defenceman. I can see a guy like Connauton overcoming this downfall with his offensive abilities outweighing his defensive inconsistencies. I look at a guy like Salo who isn't fast, doesn't hit, isn't particularly big or strong but with positioning and hockey IQ alone he is extremely effective. Hopefully MG and his crew can remedy this hole in our system this draft.

hmm..I infer that judging by these stats that hopefully these other defencemen are fantastic prospects cause Sauve isn't blowing them away in any statistical department on top of only being voted 4th best defenseman on his team.

Honestly I from what I've seen of Sauve and judging by a few stats and facts that he is a long long way from being an NHL caliber defenceman. But that's just my opinion. I would like the Canucks to draft some defencemen more so based on Hockey IQ and dependability rather than physical ability. Ellington, Sauve and Connauton all are great physical specimens but from what I read the big knock on all of them is hockey IQ, something that concerns me as it is a pretty important thing for a defenceman. I can see a guy like Connauton overcoming this downfall with his offensive abilities outweighing his defensive inconsistencies. I look at a guy like Salo who isn't fast, doesn't hit, isn't particularly big or strong but with positioning and hockey IQ alone he is extremely effective. Hopefully MG and his crew can remedy this hole in our system this draft.

Good point. Gillis is focussing on drafting players who have intelligence and good hockey sense, and in the future we should see not only D-men, but also forward prospects who have hockey sense. He's trying to shift the focus from guys with just size and toughness to guys who can skate, have skill and are smart, and who know how to play the game well too.

Btw, really looking forward to seeing Sauve with the Moose next season! Hopefully he won't have to join them for the remainder of their season just yet 'cos it'd be great if another prospect went on a long playoff run in junior!

Yann Sauvé   	7G 29A 36Pts 65PIM +42

It's the same as asking Canucks fans who their favourite defenceman is.

The majority of people aren't going to say it's Willie Mitchell, even though he's our best shutdown D-man.

Most people would likely say Christian Ehrhoff because he's just alot more exciting to watch.

I think Sauve is basically their version of Mitchell. Not the flashiest defenceman, but he gets the job done. And it's better when you dont notice him.

Great to see some recognition for him from the league. Hope he wins it. smile.gif

It's the same as asking Canucks fans who their favourite defenceman is.

The majority of people aren't going to say it's Willie Mitchell, even though he's our best shutdown D-man.

Most people would likely say Christian Ehrhoff because he's just alot more exciting to watch.

I think Sauve is basically their version of Mitchell. Not the flashiest defenceman, but he gets the job done. And it's better when you dont notice him.

Great to see some recognition for him from the league. Hope he wins it. smile.gif

that's what I gathered too.

that's what I gathered too.

I do like the sounds of being nominated for best defensive defenseman. I never realized this was his strong suit and something the Nuks lack in their prospects. It would be really nice to get game reports from people who actually get to watch him play as to follow his development better. We get to hear lots from people who see Connauton but not too many Canucks fans going to see Yann play. Good news for sure and I can understand how he would get voted 4th best. I just assumed his stats were inflated from playing on a great team however obviously he has been playing great defence and has been recognized for it.

I do like the sounds of being nominated for best defensive defenseman. I never realized this was his strong suit and something the Nuks lack in their prospects. It would be really nice to get game reports from people who actually get to watch him play as to follow his development better. We get to hear lots from people who see Connauton but not too many Canucks fans going to see Yann play. Good news for sure and I can understand how he would get voted 4th best. I just assumed his stats were inflated from playing on a great team however obviously he has been playing great defence and has been recognized for it.

I've watched all the highlights, but they only show offense, never defense. I haven't purchased any online games for the seadogs, so I can't speak from any experience, but from the online radio feeds i listened to, I hear him breaking up plays or rubbing out the opposite player a number of times a game, but we all know how biased radio announcers can be (in retrospect, i should have listened to the other team's raido every now and then... but half the time it's in french :P)

It would be nice indeed to get reports from people who do get to see him play. It's pretty hard to follow his development - he's literally on the other side of the country from Canucks Nation. And watching the Sea Dogs' highlights on YouTube only shows you the goals, but not other highlights of their games.

i see him play 34 games a year at home, and ive traveled to half of the away games. I guess I could be more of an insider for playoffs lol. But if there are any specific questions on his play I can do my best to answer them, since Im like his only fan in Saint John and get flammed for it lol

i see him play 34 games a year at home, and ive traveled to half of the away games. I guess I could be more of an insider for playoffs lol. But if there are any specific questions on his play I can do my best to answer them, since Im like his only fan in Saint John and get flammed for it lol

Ok. riddle me this. Yann is up for the top defensive D man award in the Q and has decent offensive numbers....yet Sea Dog fans vote him 4th best on his own team. How do you as a Sea Dog fan explain the discrepancy? Stupid fans or is there more to it? Also, what kind of defensive assignments does Yann usually face? Is he up against the top line most nights?

Ok. riddle me this. Yann is up for the top defensive D man award in the Q and has decent offensive numbers....yet Sea Dog fans vote him 4th best on his own team. How do you as a Sea Dog fan explain the discrepancy? Stupid fans or is there more to it? Also, what kind of defensive assignments does Yann usually face? Is he up against the top line most nights?

Defensive d-men are rarely fan favorites, especially on high scoring teams. Very few people would say Mitchell is our best D-man, but he is by far our best defensive d-man.

Most nights Yann plays on the line with Nathan Beaulieau and they play mostly against other Top Lines. Yann isn't a fan favorite here in Saint John, in fact most nights I get crap for wearing his jersey. The Saint John fans love the young guys like Beaulieau and Gagne. They say here that Yann doesnt use his size enough, he doesnt hit, but if you watch the video on YouTube posted by the Canucks he hits everything in his way. He was on fire at the start of the season, and has somewhat fallen the 2nd half. The polls on the sea dogs site to me are meaningless, its all about who the fans love. Some people also question his play, but everyone is entitled to make a mistake here and there, and Despres his team-mate makes plenty more turnovers and mistakes than Yann has this year

Archived