The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

Ya but what are you basing this projection on? All I am saying is he has played ok on the top JR team in Canada, hasn't done anything that has made me think holy crap this guy is gonna be a stud for us....I am not saying he won't be but I just don't understand why all the sudden there are a couple of people that think he could be a cornerstone defenseman for us, I just don't understand what your basing this on that's all....

I think the post that mentioned Sauve in the same conversation with Doughty, Bogosian and Schenn is was meant to say that a year or 2 prior to the 2008 draft Yann was thought of in the same breath as Doughty and Bogosian. His development was clearly stunted by the previous coaching regime in St. John and he is now realizing the potential that saw him ranked so high in the years leading up to his draft year and also saw him selected 1st overall in the QMJHL draft.

It's not out of the question that he develops to be a lot like Schenn, as they both will not be counted on to be PP quaterbacks, but both could be top pairing defensman in the mould of Adam Foote. Yann likely would have made the Leafs if he was drafted by them in 2008 as well.

You dont have to be a number 1 defensman to be considered a building block or cornerstone defensman in an organization, and not all defensman break into the league at 18. While I dont see him as a Doughty type, he could very easily be a top pairing d-man in his prime.

People forget that he was ranked in the top 30 of NA skaters by CSB and the HOckey News ranked him 23 in his draft year. That may be the reasoning for some on here to call the "steal of the draft". he may not be the best but at 41 he has excellent value and upside for his relatively late pick.

He was once ranked and projected to go first round at the 2008 draft, but a combination of coaching issues, and choking under the pressure caused him to drop in the rankings.

On a some-what off-topic note, tonight was the Sea Dog's annual skills competition and Yann won the "Hardest Shot" title with a slapshot reading at 100mph

He was once ranked and projected to go first round at the 2008 draft, but a combination of coaching issues, and choking under the pressure caused him to drop in the rankings.

On a some-what off-topic note, tonight was the Sea Dog's annual skills competition and Yann won the "Hardest Shot" title with a slapshot reading at 100mph

Whatever it is that has to do with Sauve, people do wanna hear about it, don't worry. tongue.gif

Btw that is a pretty hard slapshot. Who came 2nd? Was it Despres?

No, I dont know why but Despres wasnt in the hardest shot competition lol. Second place was Mike Hoffman, a forward with 145kmh (not sure what that is in miles per hour). Yann was also 2nd place in the "Fastest Skater" competition with a time of 15.2 seconds, which blew me away because I dont find he skates fast at all during games

not only was he projected to go in the 1st round but alot of scouts had him in the top 5 a year before the draft so it tells you he has the skills to be a valuable NHLer he just needs to put it together

not only was he projected to go in the 1st round but alot of scouts had him in the top 5 a year before the draft so it tells you he has the skills to be a valuable NHLer he just needs to put it together

Yeah, it wasn't until the previous coach killed the team that Sauve's stock dropped, allowing us to pick him up. The new coach has done wonders to his game, and Sauve had a very strong start to the season. He's slowed down a bit recently, but is still a strong d-man (with as wicked slapshot to boot)

We are all Canuck fans here for the most part so I can see how we are a little biased when projecting our prospects potential, but remind me again how the hell we could ever put Sauve in the same paragraph nevermind same sentence as the likes of Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn, etc. These are legit top franchise d-men and I have never seen Yann play but he has alright stats on the nations top junior team and didn't get a strong look for a spot on our WJC team. I understand he could be a very late bloomer but to compare him to these guys and TYLER freakin' MYERS is the stupidest thing I have heard all day!

I hope I am proven wrong and it wouldn't be the first time a 2nd rounder has turned into a great d-man, but I just don't see Sauve being much more than a 3rd/4th d-man that will be a Willie Mitchell type guy that really doesn't hone a whole ton of offensive skill whatsoever.

Don't shoot he messenger. Very early in that draft year or maybe the year before, he WAS ranked ahead of them. I am not sure if you have trouble reading but that is all I said. He was projected to be a blue chip like those guys. The scouts said so, not me.

Yann was also 2nd place in the "Fastest Skater" competition with a time of 15.2 seconds, which blew me away because I dont find he skates fast at all during games

If you are looking at a defenseman like Mike Green or Ehrhoff who rush the puck or jump into the play as the trailer, they will be going all out a fair amount of times in a game. If a defenseman never joins the rush, there is little reason for them to go all out, unless it is to catch a player who got behind them or get to the puck to get an icing call (unlikely in the CHL).

Don't shoot he messenger. Very early in that draft year or maybe the year before, he WAS ranked ahead of them. I am not sure if you have trouble reading but that is all I said. He was projected to be a blue chip like those guys. The scouts said so, not me.

Sorry I was under the impression you were drawing these comparisons yourself....I would love for Yann to evolve into a talented dman like those mentioned but I just didn't know what you were basing this on and makes more sense if you just got it from an article or other source doing the scouting on Sauve.

On another note, the whole idea behind his development being hindered because of a bad coach I am excited by because that can likely be fixed. Otherwise, if he stunted his development due to added pressure of being projected a top pick that sure doesn't excite me very much to have a guy like him out there on the point in the last minute of the game, but who the hell knows why he dropped off I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Sauve with an assist so far tonight. If his team wins tonight they clinch the QMJHL title.

biggrin.gif That team is just unreal...Between Sauve and Connauton, I would say the future of our D is looking pretty good. Lets hope one of those two can make a run at the Memorial Cup. towel.gif

biggrin.gif That team is just unreal...Between Sauve and Connauton, I would say the future of our D is looking pretty good. Lets hope one of those two can make a run at the Memorial Cup. towel.gif

unless something horrific happens sauve's team will be playing for the memorial cup. they only lost 11 games all season, and they only have lost 2 games in a row twice all season. they are currently 51-11-1

• 2 weeks later...

they have this poll going on Saint John Sea Dogs official website

the question was:

Who has been Saint John's top defenseman this season?

Nathan Beaulieu- 33%

Kevin Gagné- 26.2%

Simon Després- 21.4%

Yann Sauvé- 13.5%

Other- 5.9%

a total of 355 people voted when i got these results

Archived