The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

i agree with you there, another year of Junior wont do much for him, he's too big to hit in that league, and with the amount of 20 yr olds available I'm not sure there would be a spot for him. Hopefully he can do well at camp and crack the Moose's lineup

I've heard speculations in Saint John about the possible return of Sauve to the Q for one more season. I highly doubt thats going to happen but its what I've heard, but has he even been cleared to play in the canucks main camp? I know he is listed on the roster but I havent heard anything more than that.

Where did you hear about this? And yeah he's skating with Group C, for whatever that's worth, so hopefully he's not that shaken up by the accident. Also I think it's best if he moves on to pro hockey this season - he's got pro size and he won't develop as much shutting down 18 year olds compared to learning to play against faster, smarter and stronger grown men in the AHL. Apparently the way the refs in the Q call the game he can't even hit that much or that hard for fear of getting penalized, which may have really held back his physical game. In the pros he won't have to worry about that anymore and just concentrate on playing his game. That being said, I really hope he has a good camp and does well with the Moose.

I heard people talking about it at the game last night, but very unreliable sources! And yes the way the reffing is in the Q is brutal. The last time Yann hit someone he got a game miscounduct and the other team was trying to have him suspended, but to everyone else it looked like a clean hit. He is a big guy and he deserves his chance to go pro. Hopefully he's recovered from his accident and can prove he wants to stay out west

I heard people talking about it at the game last night, but very unreliable sources! And yes the way the reffing is in the Q is brutal. The last time Yann hit someone he got a game miscounduct and the other team was trying to have him suspended, but to everyone else it looked like a clean hit. He is a big guy and he deserves his chance to go pro. Hopefully he's recovered from his accident and can prove he wants to stay out west

Yea it's disappointing too that with all this talk about Tanev and Connauton, Sauve seems to have been forgotten and pushed down the depth chart by many fans even though he never got a chance to showcase his talent at the prospects tournament.

i agree with you there, another year of Junior wont do much for him, he's too big to hit in that league, and with the amount of 20 yr olds available I'm not sure there would be a spot for him. Hopefully he can do well at camp and crack the Moose's lineup

Yea not to mention the Q is not known for developing a lot of NHL dman in generally.

• 2 weeks later...
September 23, 2010

Sauve out indefinitely

Vancouver defenceman Yann Sauve still does not have a timetable for his return after being hit by a car Monday.

The Montreal native suffered a concussion when he was struck in downtown Vancouver. He has been riding a stationary bicycle to remain in game shape but has not yet been cleared to skate.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/09/23/15458851.html

Thought I'd link this. First article I'd read which mentioned concussion.

Read that last week, it was the first indication about a concussion, but then again I guess after getting hit by a car while crossing a crosswalk, if all I walked away with was a concussion, I'd count myself pretty lucky. Hope he gets healthy soon., the moose are going to need him (hopefully he's not as long as Mitchell was last year, that would suck something fierce).

• 2 weeks later...

Sauve's unlikely to be returned to junior now that the Sea Dogs have 3 20 year-olds on their roster.

JUST IN CASE: The QMJHL doesn't have a deadline for signing overagers but teams can only have three under contract at one time and they must abide by a $1,700 weekly salary cap. Having said that, the Sea Dogs have kept defenceman Yann Sauve on their player list just in case things don't work out in the American Hockey League with the Manitoba Moose. Sauve is under contract with Manitoba's NHL parent Vancouver Canucks.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/sports/article/1258524

I'm pretty sure Sauve is inelligible to return to juniors anyway since he is 20 years old and played 4 full seasons down there.

he was eligible to play as an over ager, but most players with any upside typically transition to the AHL in their 20s.

• 2 weeks later...
<br />Still a mystery. <a href='http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/sports/article/1278506' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://telegraphjour...article/1278506</a><br /><br />I hope he is OK.<br />

This is pretty standard for players who are trying to heal from concussions. It's all about positive thinking and not dwelling on the injury. I'm sure he doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions that he doesn't have the answers to anyways.

It's the same thing with Mitchell, and now Ballard. Management obviously doesn't want these players being hounded every 2 weeks with updates. They just want them to focus on getting healthy.

Hopefully we'll see Sauve back in the lineup in the next few weeks though. It would suck to have one of our promising young prospects start off his pro career with a long nagging consussion.

This is pretty standard for players who are trying to heal from concussions. It's all about positive thinking and not dwelling on the injury. I'm sure he doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions that he doesn't have the answers to anyways.

It's the same thing with Mitchell, and now Ballard. Management obviously doesn't want these players being hounded every 2 weeks with updates. They just want them to focus on getting healthy.

Hopefully we'll see Sauve back in the lineup in the next few weeks though. It would suck to have one of our promising young prospects start off his pro career with a long nagging consussion.

It's almost as bad as one of our promising young prospects starting of there pro career with a back injury....

It's almost as bad as one of our promising young prospects starting of there pro career with a back injury....

The difference being people aren't starting wild rumours of he doesn't like the organisation, he wants to be traded, his heart isn't into the game, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So if anything good has come out of the Hodgson injury, the Canucks are probably more cautious now and get more than one opinion from a doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived