The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

What happened to Ellington? He's just following the trend and getting a concussion too - everyone else is doing it, so it must be cool right? wink.gif

But in all seriousness... I hate how our D-men always seem to get concussions - Mitchell, Sauve, Ellington. Even Funk had one last year that knocked him for the remainder of the season (and he's out of hockey now as far as I know).

Just nasty, nasty business all around. I'd rather see broken legs or torn ACLs instead of head injuries like this because once you get one, you're more susceptible to another in future.

What happened to Ellington? He's just following the trend and getting a concussion too - everyone else is doing it, so it must be cool right? wink.gif

But in all seriousness... I hate how our D-men always seem to get concussions - Mitchell, Sauve, Ellington. Even Funk had one last year that knocked him for the remainder of the season (and he's out of hockey now as far as I know).

Just nasty, nasty business all around. I'd rather see broken legs or torn ACLs instead of head injuries like this because once you get one, you're more susceptible to another in future.

It's due to an increasing awareness of concussions, and the culture has changed. Before, it used to be if you slammed your head, you'd get up and go back into it unless you were really wobbly and out of it. Nowadays, coaches and doctors are more worried about long term issues like dementia so they hold players back when there's the possibility of having one. There also is the case of players getting heavier and faster with increased knowledge of nutrition, training, and equipment getting lighter whilst providing the same level of protection as they used to.

Sauve finally back playing, in ECHL

By Gordon McIntyre Mon, Dec 6 2010 COMMENTS(3) The White Towel Filed under: sauve Defenceman Yann Sauve, a Canucks second-round pick in 2008 who suffered a concussion in September prior to training camp, made his pro debut with the Victoria Salmon Kings on Nov. 26.

Sauve, 20, has played five games for the Canucks ECHL affiliate, picking up two assists.

Chosen 41st overall in '08, Sauve was struck by a car on Burrard Street when he looked the wrong way while crossing in September.

A couple other Canucks prospects are also struggling with injuries in Victoria: Prab Rai has yet to make his pro debut with the Salmon Kings because of an ongoing back ailment; and Taylor Ellington is out indefinitely with a concussion.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Babych was interviewed between periods tonight and he mentioned that Yann Sauve is "on his way to Manitoba". I don't know if he meant right now but it should be pretty soon, the 'stache said he was really impressed with his skating for such a big guy. Apparently, "he's an NHL skater already".

Yeah, he's got some really good speed. I think Babych means figuratively, not literally. I don't see anything in the AHL transactions list other than Desbiens being added to the moose and them dropping Lemieux.

Yeah, he's got some really good speed. I think Babych means metaphorically, not figuratively. I don't see anything in the AHL transactions list other than Desbiens being added to the moose and them dropping Lemieux.

I don't think he meant it metaphorically or figuratively (which actually mean the same thing).

Having said that, I don't think Babych meant it literally.

Apparently it really was literally (or just a lucky call with a figurative expression) :P

Glad to see him come up, I'm excited to see how he does. Lord knows the Moose need some help (they desperately need a stay at home d-man). I hope he plays with Connauton so they can feed off each other (instead of Baumer bringing him down).

Salmon Kings' Sauve Re-Assigned To Moose

Defenseman Yann Sauve returns to AHL on re-assignment from Vancouver.

For Immediate Release

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Salmon Kings, proud affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose, announced today that Vancouver contracted defenseman Yann Sauve has been re-assigned to the Moose by the Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL),

The Montreal, PQ native began his professional career this season with the Salmon Kings after being re-assigned to the club on November 26th. Since joining the team, Sauve dressed in eight contests recording two assists and four minutes in penalties.

Sauve, 20, was a second-round selection (#41 overall) of the Canucks in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Archived