The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

As the QMJHL trade period gets heated up, the rumors are flying that Yann Sauve will be headed back to Saint John after the christmas break. As much as I would like to see him back in Saint John, it personally makes no sense. Wouldn't sending him back to junior be a step backwards in his development?

As the QMJHL trade period gets heated up, the rumors are flying that Yann Sauve will be headed back to Saint John after the christmas break. As much as I would like to see him back in Saint John, it personally makes no sense. Wouldn't sending him back to junior be a step backwards in his development?

The Canucks would have to assign him there and I do not see them doing that.

From what I understand, Sauve is just getting back on the career path that he was on when he got hit by the car. He showed up at camp in great shape with a tiny shot to make the big club but he was always destined for Manitoba. The time in Victoria was just a conditioning stint and a physical test to make sure he was completely 100% concussion symptom free.

Going back to junior would be counter productive at this point because he's physically able to handle full sized men and according to Babych, he skates like an NHLer. Unless a team is absolutely stacked, sending a player back to junior usually means that he needs to work on something fundamental like skating or putting on weight and Sauve isn't in that situation at all, he just needs minutes against the next level up to continue his development.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than watching yann's point production, I wud like to hear about how he's adjusting to the pro gamr from someone who's seen him play more than once

he's only played the pro game twice. He's sounded solid out there, and has a 2 game point streak right now (the only 2 pro games he's played so far).

It's hard to tell from the scorers sheet, and the fact he's only played two games with the Moose, but 1 assist and 4 SOG on Dec. 31st, plus a second assist on New Years Day (no SOG registered) gives me an idea he's at least getting in "where the action is". I'm going to the Moose/Heat games tomorrow and Tuesday so I'll keep an eye on him.

Posted on: Sunday, January 2nd, 2011

By Ken Wiebe, Winnipeg Sun

Yann Sauve knows it could have been much worse.

That’s why the rookie Manitoba Moose defenceman wasn’t dwelling on the fact it took nearly three extra months for him to play his first American Hockey League game after he was hit by a car and sustained a concussion just prior to Vancouver Canucks’ rookie camp.

“It was a long time, but we had to make sure my health was OK before coming back,” said Sauve, who suited up Friday against the Chicago Wolves and was back in action for the rematch on Saturday.

“As soon as I got hit, I couldn’t control anything that happened with it and I was just trying to stay positive with it. I wasn’t able to work out or whatever. It’s been hard, for sure. I had lows, just like anybody. I was speaking with my family and all the guys here and saying I’d be back soon.

“I could have died. You never know. Life can be short. I could have broken my leg or been paralyzed or whatever. I was lucky in my bad luck and now I’m pretty happy that nothing more serious happened.”

Sauve, 20, isn’t interested in talking about the details of the accident, as his sole focus is on trying to make up for lost time.

The first step was going down for seven games with the Victoria Salmon Kings of the ECHL before he was recalled on Dec. 16.

“It was a great experience to start my professional career,” said Sauve, a second round pick (41st overall) of the Canucks in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. “Getting some games there and getting back in game shape was a good decision. Now I’m back here and I’m here to stay.”

There’s more than half an AHL season left to play and he’s planning to make the most of the opportunity.

Things couldn’t have gone much better for Sauve on Friday. He took a regular turn with the teams at full strength and saw some time on the second power-play unit, finishing with 18 shifts for over 16 minutes of ice time.

Sauve recorded his first AHL point, drawing an assist when Marco Rosa deflected home his point shot 59 seconds into the third period.

“I just tried to keep it simple and move my feet,” said Sauve. “It was not expected, but it was fun to get some power-play time. That’s a bonus. I’ll take everything he gives me.”

With the arrival of Ryan Parent from the Canucks, the Moose have nine healthy blue-liners, at least for the time being, and that means there should be plenty of competition for ice time.

“You always have to work for your job and never let down,” said Sauve. “That’s my mindset. I’ve been through a lot and I won’t let down.”

Head coach Claude Noel didn’t want to go overboard in his assessment, but was certainly impressed by the lack of rust in Sauve’s game on Friday.

“I thought he was great,” said Noel. “He played with poise, he made good decisions and some great tape-to-tape, hard passes. He has a heavy shot. He looked really good and did a lot of good things.

“It’s hard to say (what to expect). It looks to me as if it’s his A-game. A lot of guys bring enthusiasm when they first get in and play and that’s the best they play. But if he plays like this or better, he’s going to be a hard guy to get out of the lineup.”

Head coach Claude Noel didn’t want to go overboard in his assessment, but was certainly impressed by the lack of rust in Sauve’s game on Friday.

“I thought he was great,” said Noel. “He played with poise, he made good decisions and some great tape-to-tape, hard passes. He has a heavy shot. He looked really good and did a lot of good things.

“It’s hard to say (what to expect). It looks to me as if it’s his A-game. A lot of guys bring enthusiasm when they first get in and play and that’s the best they play. But if he plays like this or better, he’s going to be a hard guy to get out of the lineup.”

I really like this. Sounds like he's adjusting well. Anyone watch the Moose-Heat game and tell me your impressions?

Posted on: Sunday, January 2nd, 2011

By Ken Wiebe, Winnipeg Sun

Yann Sauve knows it could have been much worse.

That’s why the rookie Manitoba Moose defenceman wasn’t dwelling on the fact it took nearly three extra months for him to play his first American Hockey League game after he was hit by a car and sustained a concussion just prior to Vancouver Canucks’ rookie camp.

“It was a long time, but we had to make sure my health was OK before coming back,” said Sauve, who suited up Friday against the Chicago Wolves and was back in action for the rematch on Saturday.

“As soon as I got hit, I couldn’t control anything that happened with it and I was just trying to stay positive with it. I wasn’t able to work out or whatever. It’s been hard, for sure. I had lows, just like anybody. I was speaking with my family and all the guys here and saying I’d be back soon.

“I could have died. You never know. Life can be short. I could have broken my leg or been paralyzed or whatever. I was lucky in my bad luck and now I’m pretty happy that nothing more serious happened.”

Sauve, 20, isn’t interested in talking about the details of the accident, as his sole focus is on trying to make up for lost time.

The first step was going down for seven games with the Victoria Salmon Kings of the ECHL before he was recalled on Dec. 16.

“It was a great experience to start my professional career,” said Sauve, a second round pick (41st overall) of the Canucks in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. “Getting some games there and getting back in game shape was a good decision. Now I’m back here and I’m here to stay.”

There’s more than half an AHL season left to play and he’s planning to make the most of the opportunity.

Things couldn’t have gone much better for Sauve on Friday. He took a regular turn with the teams at full strength and saw some time on the second power-play unit, finishing with 18 shifts for over 16 minutes of ice time.

Sauve recorded his first AHL point, drawing an assist when Marco Rosa deflected home his point shot 59 seconds into the third period.

“I just tried to keep it simple and move my feet,” said Sauve. “It was not expected, but it was fun to get some power-play time. That’s a bonus. I’ll take everything he gives me.”

With the arrival of Ryan Parent from the Canucks, the Moose have nine healthy blue-liners, at least for the time being, and that means there should be plenty of competition for ice time.

“You always have to work for your job and never let down,” said Sauve. “That’s my mindset. I’ve been through a lot and I won’t let down.”

Gonna be hard to get OUT of the lineup... love Claude Noel.

Gonna be hard to get OUT of the lineup... love Claude Noel.

yup :D always looking for the player to take out of the lineup to make room for equally ready and good players waiting by the wayside. I think it speaks more to our depth as an organization than anything. Too many quality players, not enough spots, so if you under perform at all you'll sit and be replaced with someone equally as ready and good as you. it breeds competition within the team, and the results are showing.

The good thing is that he's consistently getting shots on goal, so he's involved in the play at the attacking end. It's good to see him contributing already, after only playing 8 games with the S-Kings (even though he got lots of ice time there with them). Speaking of which, it's strange to see the Moose keep 9 D-men. You have to wonder what Victoria is thinking about their partnership with the Nucks and Moose as they're banged up themselves, while their AHL affiliate has 2 D in the press box every night lately.

If someone's struggling with the Moose and is going to be scratched for a few games for poor play, I'd rather see him sent down. It might wake him up and force him to re-think the way he's been playing. I know the Moose want to create competition, but you could still do that with only 1 guy in the box. It's just beneficial for everybody involved if they're ALL playing games, and it's not like you can't recall them after sending them to the ECHL.

Or is travel a bigger factor than I thought it would be?

The good thing is that he's consistently getting shots on goal, so he's involved in the play at the attacking end. It's good to see him contributing already, after only playing 8 games with the S-Kings (even though he got lots of ice time there with them). Speaking of which, it's strange to see the Moose keep 9 D-men. You have to wonder what Victoria is thinking about their partnership with the Nucks and Moose as they're banged up themselves, while their AHL affiliate has 2 D in the press box every night lately.

If someone's struggling with the Moose and is going to be scratched for a few games for poor play, I'd rather see him sent down. It might wake him up and force him to re-think the way he's been playing. I know the Moose want to create competition, but you could still do that with only 1 guy in the box. It's just beneficial for everybody involved if they're ALL playing games, and it's not like you can't recall them after sending them to the ECHL.

Or is travel a bigger factor than I thought it would be?

the team has to pay for the tickets going both ways, and they have been using a d-man as a forward the past couple games when they went to abby. no point in sending a d-man down just for a game or 2.

Archived