The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

the team has to pay for the tickets going both ways, and they have been using a d-man as a forward the past couple games when they went to abby. no point in sending a d-man down just for a game or 2.

I guess that depends on how long they're going to keep having 2 D as healthy scratches every game. I still think they could manage it better though. I mean... why not just call up a forward from Victoria or sign somebody from the ECHL? Also, I would've thought that the Moose didn't have to worry about paying for tickets - don't they make enough money as it is? tongue.gif

I guess that depends on how long they're going to keep having 2 D as healthy scratches every game. I still think they could manage it better though. I mean... why not just call up a forward from Victoria or sign somebody from the ECHL? Also, I would've thought that the Moose didn't have to worry about paying for tickets - don't they make enough money as it is? tongue.gif

the higher level team is required to pay for transportation. That's always the case (NHL team has to pay for to and from the AHL and AHL has to pay to and from the ECHL)

They didn't call up a forward because they were on a road trip and they signed a AHL quality forward to fill in for the injury, but it was too late to get him to abby in time.

I think assignment to the ECHL should be a last resort type of move, as the level of competition is far less and it could shake the confidence of a player, especially a rookie. Besides, the AHL needs to carry extra players at all times because they need to account for injuries for both their NHL team and their own team. They can become depleted extremely quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been watching him play? Big guy like that with wheels, you'd think he'd be making his physical presence known in Manitoba, but it's been pretty quiet.

Well he layed out a guy last night, and then throw some good punches on him. And he didn't even get a penalty.

Give him some time to round back into form. Noel knows how to develop D-men, so I'm not too worried.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Avelanche, how has Sauve been playing lately? Now with Alberts being injured it's possible that he might not be able to go next game. I think Parent would be the best call up but he'd have to go thru re entry waivers so its doubtfull Parent will be called up. I think Sauve might get a chance. What say you?

Hey Avelanche, how has Sauve been playing lately? Now with Alberts being injured it's possible that he might not be able to go next game. I think Parent would be the best call up but he'd have to go thru re entry waivers so its doubtfull Parent will be called up. I think Sauve might get a chance. What say you?

He's gettin the call.

Here is the adversity everyone said this team needed to face!

Awesome, can't wait to see this guy play in the bigs!

He's got the size and the skating, it's just a matter of getting his positioning right, and lowering his panic level. Hopefully we can stick him with a veteran like Salo or Bieksa and they can help him out.

<br />With the call up Sauve, I guess we can all agree that Evan Oberg has fallen away from management's plans?<br /><br />Last year he was the guy that would be called up first.<br /><br />Not that I care (Oberg was terrible).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Oberg has really taken a step back in his development, i think because of all the wealth of guys in the farm with Tanev, Sweatt, Sauve, Connauton + Travis ramsey, Baumgartner, Flood, Mcginnis and others keep bumping him down the depth chart. Its because of his NHL size he can't withstand large players making him an easy target. People argue Sweatt is small and undersized but for quite a while he has been effective already as a solid PM Dman and is a solid hipchecker like Ballard.

I agree Oberg is a consise pick to call up when injuries arrived. But with all the call ups and injuries he will be given a chance to get back on his feet.

Back to Suave, man I have been waiting the day to see Sauve being called up, always loved this kids heart to win. He has good leadership skills like Hodgson. Hope he does well cause he might be up there for a while.

6'3 220 pounds :blink: ...I like.

Lets hope he doesnt crap the bed.

He's also one of the fastest players on the Moose, and has a strong defensive game, just don't expect him to light it up offensively. Not yet, anyway.

Sauve played with Salo down on the Moose, So I'm guessing that's who he'll be teamed up with on the Canucks as well. I was hoping all of rookies got some play time up with the big team, but not like this...

I'm glad to see him get a chance with the canucks. I've been a fan of his for the last 5 years and this past year has been tough with his accident and everything but hopefully he works out fine. Nice early birthday present for him too. Too bad I can't watch the game cuz I'm in NB and they black it out.

SAUVE TO MAKE NHL DEBUT

Feb 15, 2011 baloon.png

blank.gif blank.gif blank.gif blank.gif blank.gif Share this with your friends!

news_facebook.png news_twitter.png news_rss.png SauveVanFront4730.jpg Tuesday, February 15, 2011

SAINT PAUL, MINN. – After nearly six years of developing young hockey players, tonight will be a proud moment for the entire Saint John Sea Dogs organization as Yann Sauve makes his NHL debut.

The Vancouver Canucks have called Sauve up from their AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose, and he’s expected to be in the lineup when the Canucks visit the Minnesota Wild at 9 p.m. Atlantic Time.

The six-foot-three, 209-pound defenseman will become the first Sea Dogs product to play a game in the NHL, the ultimate goal for any player when he begins his major junior career.

“Yann is an outstanding hockey player, but more importantly he’s an outstanding young man. He’s a great ambassador for our organization and I’m looking forward to watching him play many more games in the National Hockey League,” said Sea Dogs president Wayne Long.

Sauve was a highly-touted young prospect out of Rigaud, Que., when the Sea Dogs selected him first overall in the 2006 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Entry Draft. The towering rearguard posted two goals and 15 points in his rookie season, then followed up with six goals, 21 points and 92 penalty minutes as a sophomore. Sauve played in 69 of 70 games that season and 14 more in Saint John’s first-ever playoff run, tallying a goal, three points and 23 penalty minutes in the post-season. The Canucks selected him with the 41st overall pick in the second round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft that summer, at that time the highest-ever selection for a Sea Dogs.

“We’re extremely proud of how far Yann has come. To think back to when he arrived here as a 16-year-old and to see his progress to date, that’s what junior hockey is all about,” Long said. “We’re proud when anyone from our organization moves on to the next level, whether it’s in hockey or in life. But there’s something extra special about the NHL. It’s what every kid dreams of, and we hope to see many more of our alumni there in the future.”

Sauve continued to progress in the QMJHL, posting five goals and 30 points in 2008-09, then career highs of seven goals and 36 points last season. He attended Canucks training camp both seasons, and served as a mentor to younger players, passing along his experience and professional attitude.

“He texted me this morning and I was very happy for him and told him to enjoy it,” said Sea Dogs defenseman Simon Despres. “He’s nervous but I’m pretty sure he’s going to have a good game.”

Sauve was an integral part of last year’s team, which won the Jean Rougeau Trophy as regular-season champions of the QMJHL. He suited up for 21 playoff games, tallying five goals and 15 points as the Sea Dogs came within two games of advancing to the Memorial Cup.

“It’s great, I’m very happy for him,” said Sea Dogs head coach Gerard Gallant. “It’s well deserved. He was a Sea Dog for four years and we couldn’t be happier that he’s the first Sea Dog to play in a game.”

After recovering from an injury earlier in the season, Sauve made his professional debut in the minor leagues, playing eight games with the Victoria Salmon Kings and 20 with the Moose before being called up.

Sauve did not sound like he was out of place tonight(listening to the radio).

Anybody watch the game and see how he played?

He made a few turn overs here and there but I though he played quite well considering he hasn't got many games in the AHL yet. He made some solid checks and helped break up a few plays so overall I think he was solid, you can't expect a rookie to be perfect. I think he could be a lot like Ohlund if his development goes well. He has the size and likes to use it while having a good two way game but of coarse he is still a few years away yet before he makes an impact.

Its good to know theres light at the end of the tunnel for the Canucks defensive prospects. towel.gif

Archived