The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

that's funny, because he nearly won the moose's fastest skater competition this year, and was just a fraction behind Sweatt. Not to mention his biggest asset resides in him being a fast skater.

He normally is a good skater, but there was one play last night where he looked very slow going back for the puck.

People forget though that this guy was out for over 5 months with a concussion. He's also only played 20 games in his first season in the AHL, so you gotta believe that his conditioning is not quite where it should be.

He normally is a good skater, but there was one play last night where he looked very slow going back for the puck.

People forget though that this guy was out for over 5 months with a concussion. He's also only played 20 games in his first season in the AHL, so you gotta believe that his conditioning is not quite where it should be.

If I'm not mistaken, the play you're referring to was shortly after the 2-1 or 3-1 goal and the crowd was going nutts (loud) and maybe Sauve didnt hear the guy skating up behind him to take the puck. It was a little puzzling why he was slow...but he was so slow that I dont think he was trying to move faster..he just iddnt think he had to be any faster to get to the puck.

-------

Serious question: Is Sauve comparable to Alex Edler? Both guys are almost identical in size and weight, other than that I dont know..

I think he is going to benefit from playing in a situation where being a strong defensive defenseman is going to be rewarded. Playing in the Q on a powerhouse team, its easy to be overshadowed by the offensive guys. He's in a situation now where he can put all his energy into defense and be rewarded by coaches, teammates, and fans. With his skill set and size, I think he will be a good one-on-one shutdown guy. Whereas Tanev has been good at seeing the whole ice, I think Sauve has been good man-to-man.

If I'm not mistaken, the play you're referring to was shortly after the 2-1 or 3-1 goal and the crowd was going nutts (loud) and maybe Sauve didnt hear the guy skating up behind him to take the puck. It was a little puzzling why he was slow...but he was so slow that I dont think he was trying to move faster..he just iddnt think he had to be any faster to get to the puck.

-------

Serious question: Is Sauve comparable to Alex Edler? Both guys are almost identical in size and weight, other than that I dont know..

Not really. Sauve is more of a physical, defensive defenseman with a little offensive upside, great size, and above average mobility. Think Bryan Allen.

Not really. Sauve is more of a physical, defensive defenseman with a little offensive upside, great size, and above average mobility. Think Bryan Allen.

I would not classify Bryan Allen as having great mobility.

Sauve does seem to be a pretty quick and mobile for his size. I believe he came in 2nd on the moose for fastest skater? Got a good point slapshot as well, which we saw one instance of in the last game.

I like what I see...

GB

Archived