Hodgson 91

Here's a nice piece on Sauve and some other Moose stuff:

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Sauvé finds the net, also finds some relief

But blue-liner's goal not enough in loss to Chicago

By: Randy Turner

Posted: 03/7/2011 1:00 AM

CHICAGO -- Yann Sauvé: Scoring machine.

After going scoreless for 37 games, the Manitoba Moose rookie defenceman finally hit the back of the twine in a 4-3 shootout victory over Milwaukee on Saturday night. Go figure that the 21-year-old Sauvé didn't get his second Sunday afternoon, less than 24 hours later, in a 3-2 loss to the Chicago Wolves.

Ah, shucks, Sauvé said.

"I was just put the puck on the net, and it goes in," the soft-spoken defenceman shrugged, of the second marker in Chicago that pulled the Moose to within a goal at 4:45 of the third period. "I've got to keep doing that."

Simple enough, right? Yet Sauvé's power-play goal in Milwaukee ended a drought that began with the ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings on Nov. 25, as he sat out the first part of the season injured after getting struck by a car during the Vancouver Canucks' training camp in September. Sauvé joined the Moose a few weeks later, after eight games in the ECHL, and even spent a pair of games with the Canucks in February.

Through it all, no goals.

"It was a relief," Sauvé said. "I was thinking about it. You're always looking forward to your first goal as a pro."

And the puck? Didn't anybody keep it for him? "I think so, but I didn't get it yet," he replied. "But I hope so."

Still, the second wasn't near as memorable, especially coming in a game that ended a three-game winning streak for the Moose, now 34-22-1-5, who struggled in digging themselves a 3-0 hole to the Wolves.

"I don't think we came out and played very well," surmised Moose defenceman Mark Flood.

"We took a lot of penalties (seven)... and they capitalized (with one PP goal). We've got to be more disciplined than that."

The Moose did come to life in the third period, sparked by Garth Murray's third short-handed goal of the season with 48 seconds left in the second period, but the hole was too deep against the Wolves, who improved to 33-25-3-5.

"Once we got that goal they were back on their heels a little bit," Flood added. "It's unfortunate that it took us that long to get going, to get a little bit desperate. We just ran out of time."

MOOSE TRACKS: The AHL trading deadline is Monday, although after acquiring defenceman Keith Seabrook on Thursday from the Abbotsford Heat, and with so many injured players set to return in the next three weeks -- such as captain Nolan Baumgartner, defenceman Ryan Parent and forward Marco Rosa and perhaps Jason Jaffray -- it's uncertain if the Moose will be active.

randy.turner@freepress.mb.ca

Highlight

REEL

Wolves 3 Moose 2

CHICAGO -- PLAYING their third game in 48 hours in three different cities, the Manitoba Moose ran out of gas in Chicago.

The Moose did manage to rally after trailing 3-0, but a shorthanded goal from Garth Murray and another from defenceman Yann Sauvé weren't enough, as Manitoba fell to 34-22-1-5 in front of 9,644 Sunday afternoon at the Allstate Arena.

Manitoba was thoroughly outplayed over two periods, as rookie netminder Eddie Lack faced a total of 43 shots in suffering his 16th loss of the season in 42 starts.

PENALTY WOES: If you don't kill penalties, they will kill you. The Moose took seven minor penalties. Not good, especially when head coach Claude Noel cautioned his charges with two referees working the game. "And not great penalties," Noel said. "And when you put one of the better power-play teams on the power play, it doesn't help you. It's not a good way to play the game. When you're playing three games in three nights, it's taxing. It wears on you."

HODGSON SHINES: Moose rookie forward Cody Hodgson, assigned to the Moose last week after an eight-game stint with the parent Vancouver Canucks, had a goal and two assists in the first two games of this road swing, where the centre has excelled. Said head coach Noel: "I think he's finding he's able to do some things... patience with the puck. I see that more than anything now. He's strong with the puck down low, hangs on to it, plays the one-on-one game, which is the game you have to play in the NHL"

SCHROEDER SPARKS: Speaking of prized rookies, Moose forward Jordan Schroeder came into Sunday with just three assists in his last 11 games and the frustration was showing. He slammed his stick in disgust in the first period after he fired well wide on a glorious scoring chance. But early in the third, it was Schroeder who did all the heavy lifting behind the net to set up Sauvé's goal to pull Manitoba to within 3-2.

UP NEXT: The Moose travel to Oklahoma City for a date with the Barons on Tuesday night (7 p.m., CJOB).

-- Randy Turner

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 7, 2011 C2

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/moose/sauve-finds-the-net-also-finds-some-relief-117508043.html

heh, I was there to listen in on the Sauve and Flood interviews while I waited for Connauton to come out. I was interviewing him and cody during the Coach Noel interview though. Sauve impressed me this weekend, and he's a BIG boy. you don't really sense how big until you see him live on the ice, or in person.

heh, I was there to listen in on the Sauve and Flood interviews while I waited for Connauton to come out. I was interviewing him and cody during the Coach Noel interview though. Sauve impressed me this weekend, and he's a BIG boy. you don't really sense how big until you see him live on the ice, or in person.

Good to hear...Sauve is going to be a great asset for us in the near future. NHL size and speed yet not much flash keeping him on the cheap.

He and Tanev will allow us to spend money elsewhere while we can have reliable young D-men on cheap entry level contracts. Exactly what pushes teams to the cream of the crop in a the cap era.

Honestly, I was most impressed by Kevin's defensive play this weekend. He broke up numerous plays, made sound choices with the puck, and pinched only when appropriate for the most part. Plus he covered for his line mate a couple of times (and he had the hit of the night on Saturday). Maybe it was because, subconsciously, I came in expecting less out of his d-game and he exceeded my expectations (the naysayers actually influenced me even though i KNEW better than that)? Sauve was downright impressive too though.

I'm going to be VERY curious about how the d-cops shapes up next season. I think one of the spots is Tanev's to loose, but Sauve and Connauton could easily just slip right in there; and don't forget about Andersson, who's SEL contract is up this season (I believe). Though he may need a year or 2 on the Moose getting into that N/A style.

Honestly, I was most impressed by Kevin's defensive play this weekend. He broke up numerous plays, made sound choices with the puck, and pinched only when appropriate for the most part. Plus he covered for his line mate a couple of times (and he had the hit of the night on Saturday). Maybe it was because, subconsciously, I came in expecting less out of his d-game and he exceeded my expectations (the naysayers actually influenced me even though i KNEW better than that)? Sauve was downright impressive too though.

I'm going to be VERY curious about how the d-cops shapes up next season. I think one of the spots is Tanev's to loose, but Sauve and Connauton could easily just slip right in there; and don't forget about Andersson, who's SEL contract is up this season (I believe). Though he may need a year or 2 on the Moose getting into that N/A style.

Promising news. I figured Kevin was a couple years off competing for a roster spot after seeing him flounder around in his own zone in preseason. Good to hear he's learning quickly, because if you can't be coached or learn your not making the NHL, especially on a team like the nucks with AV as coach.

I would guess that only one spot will be available for a rookie next year. I doubt Gillis would leave 2 open spots. Will be fun to watch the rookies compete for the spot, Tanev, Sauve, and Connauton are all impressive in different ways. Diversity as well as depth. Always Rudy there too wanting a spot.

Kevin could probably use another year after this in the AHL though to find a happy medium between defensive play and utilizing his offensive talents.

With his well-developed offensive instincts, the thing that intrigues me the most about Connauton is that once his D-game is up to snuff, he could really make an impact at the NHL level. We look at Tanev right now: his D game is exceptional for a rookie, but he is going to take some time to round out his skill set, namely his shot, his physical man-to-man play, his pinching and offensive timing. Connauton has the potential to become an impact player quickly once he makes the jump because of his strength and offensive instincts, so its good to hear about his improvement.

As for who will make the jump next, I would say Sauve has the inside track, but I think once Connauton makes the jump, he will work his way into a more prominent role more quickly.

Other than Tanev...who's the next D rookie to stick with the club?

Sauve - looked OK in the game with Canucks

Connauton - I think he'll be with Moose for 1 more year.

Parent - haven't heard anything about him...AHLer for life?

Parent is 23 years old with 133 NHL games under his belt. Too early to call him an AHLer for life.

I think Parent is almost a lock for next year as at least a number 7 guy. Sauve is next, and then Connauton. I think Connauton has a few years to go. He seems quite raw but with huge upside.

I'm willing to bet you that Gillis takes the Nashville approach towards developing their Dmen (especially when you consider that Claude Noel was largely involved in that).

Cody Franson was aged 22 and had 158 games played (185 if you include the playoffs), to say nothing of 95pts, in the AHL before his 1st NHL game. Connauton's strengths and deficiencies remind me a lot of Franson's (save for the size difference). There's no need to rush the 21 year old but his development this year will go a long way towards determining whether Gillis decides to shell out long terms for Ehrhoff and/or Bieksa.

2005 1st rounder Ryan Parent seems to be taking a somewhat similar learning curve as 2003 2nd rounder Kevin Klein. 2003 3rd rounder Alexander Sulzer has had a lot of seasoning in both Germany and the AHL and I can't help but wonder if Peter Andersson takes a similar route (hopefully accelerated by coming over earlier and not suffering the injuries that Sulzer seems to have had).

On the other hand, Jonathon Blum has made the jump at age 22 and only one season of AHL hockey but this has a lot to do with Nahville's internal salary cap and losing Hamhuis for cap reasons. Ideally Nashville would have the type of defensive depth that we have and call these guys up when injuries arise (which always do) but they can't because they can't fiscally afford it.

Having said that, I do agree about Tanev and I think he could replace either Salo or Bieksa but even Tanev would benefit from some more time in the AHL (especially powerplay ice time) and he's ineligible for waivers, a most valuable perk for depth seeking franchises which means that Parent could get that spot. I bet Gillis & Noel think Connauton needs another year, or possibly even two, to refine his game and if that's the case I don't think Gillis hesitates to re-sign Ehrhoff, even at $5m (higher salary, shorter term like 4 years as opposed to 6). Defencemen don't usually make a big impact until 25 anyway and we can always develop one 22-23 year old on the bottom pairing should Gillis so desire. If we get into a situation where we need an extra spot for an overachieving prospect, Gillis could always trade Ballard.

• 2 weeks later...

Sauve just got crunched from behind. He went down holding his head, but he's fine now. Volpatti wanted to go after the guy who did that, but Stone skated away. Then Desbiens two handed him in the calf.

I'm willing to bet you that Gillis takes the Nashville approach towards developing their Dmen (especially when you consider that Claude Noel was largely involved in that).

Cody Franson was aged 22 and had 158 games played (185 if you include the playoffs), to say nothing of 95pts, in the AHL before his 1st NHL game. Connauton's strengths and deficiencies remind me a lot of Franson's (save for the size difference). There's no need to rush the 21 year old but his development this year will go a long way towards determining whether Gillis decides to shell out long terms for Ehrhoff and/or Bieksa.

2005 1st rounder Ryan Parent seems to be taking a somewhat similar learning curve as 2003 2nd rounder Kevin Klein. 2003 3rd rounder Alexander Sulzer has had a lot of seasoning in both Germany and the AHL and I can't help but wonder if Peter Andersson takes a similar route (hopefully accelerated by coming over earlier and not suffering the injuries that Sulzer seems to have had).

On the other hand, Jonathon Blum has made the jump at age 22 and only one season of AHL hockey but this has a lot to do with Nahville's internal salary cap and losing Hamhuis for cap reasons. Ideally Nashville would have the type of defensive depth that we have and call these guys up when injuries arise (which always do) but they can't because they can't fiscally afford it.

Having said that, I do agree about Tanev and I think he could replace either Salo or Bieksa but even Tanev would benefit from some more time in the AHL (especially powerplay ice time) and he's ineligible for waivers, a most valuable perk for depth seeking franchises which means that Parent could get that spot. I bet Gillis & Noel think Connauton needs another year, or possibly even two, to refine his game and if that's the case I don't think Gillis hesitates to re-sign Ehrhoff, even at $5m (higher salary, shorter term like 4 years as opposed to 6). Defencemen don't usually make a big impact until 25 anyway and we can always develop one 22-23 year old on the bottom pairing should Gillis so desire. If we get into a situation where we need an extra spot for an overachieving prospect, Gillis could always trade Ballard.

+1 Nice work. The only long term roster signing I can see is Edler and he is already signed for next year. Like you said the reality for elite teams is having young depth that can be called up to cover injuries.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sauve had a very strange year, especially after that concussion he had back in September, but kudos to him for adapting so quickly to the ECHL, then the AHL, and finally the NHL! laugh.gif Also kudos to Noel for coaching him well enough so that he didn't really look lost at all when called up to the Canucks. Hoping for a good year from him with the Wolves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dasein

Video package on Yann Sauve. Can see that he gets caught spinning a few times when the play is in close to his net, or isn't too clean-cut on clearing the danger zone in front of the net.

Great size, skating, point shot, hitting, fighting - just needs to hone his defensive zone play. The 2nd most NHL-ready prospect after Tanev in terms of development - #1 in being most physically ready for the NHL.

Archived