The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

Watching him at training camp, I was never really impressed with him. Alot of Canuck fans really over hyped this 2nd round pick. Saying how good he was. My personal view was he was not as good a some Canuck fans were saying. His decision making abilities is kinda limited in the offensive zone. He is one of those players that if you really pressure him really quickly, he will either throw it down the boards, or just throw it foward just to avoid a giveaway to the other team. Not a very "poised" dman in the offensive zone.

But keep in mind that was during training camp. His offensive abilities were very limited. Overall he didn't really stand out to me.

But keep in mind what I said above was during training camp. So far it looks like he's having a real good year, and his offensive production has gone up and his +/- looks solid. Chances are he improved ever since he left our training camp.

Last night's game I didn't think he looked that bad. Was he awesomeness? no, was he terrible? hell no, he was ok. Certain players will play on the power play, and he wasn't one of those guys. Nothing wrong with that. It's already pretty good he made the QMJHL team, and was able to play twice so thats a good thing. Infact he made the team, because he's one of the best defencemens available in the QMJHL. I think it's totally unfair to say he must dominate the game or else, theres a problem in his game. WAs there one defencemen that really "dominated" the game or was a standout and men amongs boys? If you ask me, not really, he was = with all the other DMAN's on the team. Gormley was probably the best dman out there, but so what? It's kinda expected and he should be the best dman.

Overall grade :

I guess most of us expected more, but for him to even make the team is a good thing, cause as we know, the QMJHL will select the best players avaiable to them from their leauge. Jann Sauve was one of them. He was held pointless, big deal. He played the Shane O Brien role for their team as a bottom pairing DMAN. He still has a chance at making the NHL. I think one guy here said he will make it next year. I kinda shake my head at that comment. He's still at least 2 full years away not counting this year to making the NHL.

I don't think we over hyped him at all. A physical defenseman with some offensive acumen and a hard shot. He may not be a PPQB but an anchor at the blueline is great for a second round pick. I expect him to be like Mattias Ohlund in terms on what he brings on defense. Who knows what he will bring offensively but we already have a prospect that covers that so I think the Canucks aren't that worried about his offensive abilities that much. I thought he played great at the tournament and played his role very well.

I think Cannauton and Sauve would be a great pairing in the future.

almost like a Keith and Seabrook pairing! :D

I don't think we over hyped him at all. A physical defenseman with some offensive acumen and a hard shot. He may not be a PPQB but an anchor at the blueline is great for a second round pick. I expect him to be like Mattias Ohlund in terms on what he brings on defense. Who knows what he will bring offensively but we already have a prospect that covers that so I think the Canucks aren't that worried about his offensive abilities that much. I thought he played great at the tournament and played his role very well.

I think Cannauton and Sauve would be a great pairing in the future.

almost like a Keith and Seabrook pairing! :D

Your way overrating Sauve's defensive game if you think you'll be getting Ohlund. He makes very questionable decisions and handles the puck like a grenade in his own zone. He has good physical skills but needs alot of development before he will ever be an NHL dman, nevermind a good one.

Its not a bad pick, but Nucks fans have terribly high expectations for a kid who has done nothing but disappoint his entire career.

Seabrook, Ohlund there's a reason these guys were 1st rd picks who lived up to 1sr rd expectations. Sauve could be a very good NHL player, but people need to calm the comparisons.

A player of Bryan Allen's stature is much more what should be expected of Sauve, Brad Stuart, Rusty Klesla, Nick Boynton, and Nick Schultz are all much better and realistic comparisons.

Your way overrating Sauve's defensive game if you think you'll be getting Ohlund. He makes very questionable decisions and handles the puck like a grenade in his own zone. He has good physical skills but needs alot of development before he will ever be an NHL dman, nevermind a good one.

Its not a bad pick, but Nucks fans have terribly high expectations for a kid who has done nothing but disappoint his entire career.

Does that remind you of anyone? If i didn't know any better, I would think that you are describing Bieksa...laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

No invite to the WJC, thats very depressing. A former 2nd rd pick at his age should be a lock for the team, hes not even allowed to try out. There's some solid depth on Canada's blue line as usually but this really isnt a good sign at this point in his career.

it honestly doesn't mean anything. did you see the players that WERE invited? It's hard to argue against them.

No invite to the WJC, thats very depressing. A former 2nd rd pick at his age should be a lock for the team, hes not even allowed to try out. There's some solid depth on Canada's blue line as usually but this really isnt a good sign at this point in his career.

Other high round d-men picks not named:

Tyler Cuma (2008 1st)

Cody Goloubef (2008 2nd)

Justin Schultz (2008 2nd)

Cody Robak (2008 2nd)

Cameron Gaunce (2008 2nd)

Brandon Burion (2008 2nd)

Eric Mestery (2008 2nd)

Simon Despres (2009 1st)

Matthew Clark (2009 2nd)

Charles-Olivier Roussel (2009 2nd)

Brett Ponich (2009 2nd)

Stefan Elliott (2009 2nd)

Eric Gelinas (2009 2nd)

Taylor Doherty (2009 2nd)

Jesse Blacker (2009 2nd)

By your logic, the d-men listed above should also be invited, and those who aren't, look like disappointments to their NHL clubs.

It's also hard to get a read on Sauve's decision making from stats alone. Is the new system helping him improve by showcasing his skill set? Are there any holes in his game, other than what HockeysFuture says? From the Canadian WJC roster, I see a lot of smart, two-way players on the back end, who can move the puck well.

Tyler Cuma (2008 1st)

Cody Goloubef (2008 2nd)

Cody Robak (2008 2nd)

Eric Mestery (2008 2nd)

Simon Despres (2009 1st)

Matthew Clark (2009 2nd)

Brett Ponich (2009 2nd)

Eric Gelinas (2009 2nd)

Jesse Blacker (2009 2nd)

By your logic, the d-men listed above should also be invited, and those who aren't, look like disappointments to their NHL clubs.

It's also hard to get a read on Sauve's decision making from stats alone. Is the new system helping him improve by showcasing his skill set? Are there any holes in his game, other than what HockeysFuture says? From the Canadian WJC roster, I see a lot of smart, two-way players on the back end, who can move the puck well.

Wasn't Cody Golubef on the team last year? What happened? Is he playing with Syracuse or something?

Tyler Cuma (2008 1st)

Cody Goloubef (2008 2nd)

Cody Robak (2008 2nd)

Eric Mestery (2008 2nd)

Simon Despres (2009 1st)

Matthew Clark (2009 2nd)

Brett Ponich (2009 2nd)

Eric Gelinas (2009 2nd)

Jesse Blacker (2009 2nd)

I was making a comment based on his age group, Despres, Elliott and all those guys are a year younger and will be at the camp next year. Cuma has played 1/2 a season in the last 2yrs and IS a disappointment so far. Schultz is a BCHL player in his 1st year of college and hasnt been worthy of a 2nd rd pick so far. Goloubef is a bit of a wonder as to how he isn't there, he's played in the WJC before and obviously Hockey Canada wants to go in a different direction.

To your point 1/2 those guys are younger, and the other 1/2 haven't lived up to expectation. Like i've said many many times before Sauve in my opinion will be a good NHL player. But his junior career like many others on that list hasn't lived up to expectations.

Your Criteria for Canadian's making the team is far too high. Just because a player doesn;t make team Canada tryout it doesn't mean its a bad sign. Canada is far too deep and powerful and all positions, there will be some good players not getting the invite. Are you saying, it's looking like a real bad sign that Cannaouton and Sauve didn't get the invite? Canada is just far too deep.

Goloubef went to U of Wisconsin. Second youngest in the WCHA.

Oh alright...well if he's the second youngest in the WCHA wouldn't that mean he's still eligible to participate this year?

Has his game completely fallen off the radar to be even considered? Or is the competition that much more better?

Sorry I live under a rock.

Your Criteria for Canadian's making the team is far too high. Just because a player doesn;t make team Canada tryout it doesn't mean its a bad sign. Canada is far too deep and powerful and all positions, there will be some good players not getting the invite. Are you saying, it's looking like a real bad sign that Cannaouton and Sauve didn't get the invite? Canada is just far too deep.

What does Connauton have to do with it? Of course he wouldn't get an invite, Connauton is the same age was Sauve but was passed over in his draft year and had to reenter the draft before being taken in the 3rd which was a full 2rds ahead of where he was projected to be selected.

Sauve is a guy who was once considered on of the best 2 way dmen in his draft class and was projected to be a star. He never lived up to the hype and fell to us in the 2nd rd, where he has progressed but still hasn't lived up to any expectations. He has been saying for 2yrs now its his goal to make the WJC team and yet he hasnt even had an invite. Sorry for all you homers, but him not getting one WJC invite in his entire junior career is a disappointment especially this year with his age and experience. He's a 90 bday, as a 2nd rd pick you'd hope he would make it over players like Olsen, Deslauries, and De Hann as well as even Gormley. Not because he will be better but he is a 19yr old and its a 19yr old dominated tourney where players his age are at an advantage.

Isin't he leading the qmhjl in +.

He would be a great replacement for mitchell.

Maybe after this year 2 years with the moose with the occasional call up.

You know who else was strong as +/-? Marek Malik

That stat is not indicative of a player's defensive or two-way ability.

Oh alright...well if he's the second youngest in the WCHA wouldn't that mean he's still eligible to participate this year?

Has his game completely fallen off the radar to be even considered? Or is the competition that much more better?

Sorry I live under a rock.

He just turned 20, so he's not eligible anymore.

What does Connauton have to do with it? Of course he wouldn't get an invite, Connauton is the same age was Sauve but was passed over in his draft year and had to reenter the draft before being taken in the 3rd which was a full 2rds ahead of where he was projected to be selected.

Sauve is a guy who was once considered on of the best 2 way dmen in his draft class and was projected to be a star. He never lived up to the hype and fell to us in the 2nd rd, where he has progressed but still hasn't lived up to any expectations. He has been saying for 2yrs now its his goal to make the WJC team and yet he hasnt even had an invite. Sorry for all you homers, but him not getting one WJC invite in his entire junior career is a disappointment especially this year with his age and experience. He's a 90 bday, as a 2nd rd pick you'd hope he would make it over players like Olsen, Deslauries, and De Hann as well as even Gormley. Not because he will be better but he is a 19yr old and its a 19yr old dominated tourney where players his age are at an advantage.

You're putting too much stock into what number people were drafted at. Players come along at different paces. Some look way ahead at 17-18 and stagnate from there.

Also a lot of Canadian players at the WJC end up being busts: http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2009/01/wjc-no-guarantee-of-nhl-success.html

Between 1985 and 1999 59% of the ALL STARS for the tournament end up making the NHL. I couldn't find results for the entire roster, but it's likely to be much lower.

Sauve or Connauton not making the team will have no relation on whether they make the NHL or not.

sauve held pointless in a another blowout, but he finished +1

The league-leading Saint John Sea Dogs seized sole possession of the third-best winning streak in QMJHL history on Sunday afternoon, defeating the Lewiston MAINEiacs by a score of 8-3 at Harbour Station to capture their 20th consecutive victory.

20 wins in a row. not too shabby.

I was afraid your going to Slam Connauton for not being invited to the training camp just like Sauve was. Right now it really sounds like your not forgiving Sauve for not getting even getting an invite to the training camp.

like you said, he was once considered one of the best defencemens in the draft class, but that was way back in 2006 when he was drafted like number 1 overall in the QMJHL Bantam draft. It's pretty obvious times change, players stock rise and drop. Obviously things did not work out the way they thought it be, (HIm being one of the top defencemens in the 08 draft). He fell to the 2nd round and we picked him up. NOw your saying its a disappointment for not getting the invite. I don't know what planet your from, but Canada has so much debth in all positions,I am actually not surprised he didn't even get the invite. The list of players that made it are really impressive. Also you should look at the players not invited. Right now I am confident that Canada has invited the best defencemen's to try out for our country, and this has absolutley nothing to do with wether he makes the team or not.

sauve held pointless in a another blowout, but he finished +1

20 wins in a row. not too shabby.

That would a massive understatement tongue.gif

True though, he doesn't need to be on the World Junior team to be guaranteed a successful career in the NHL. It'd sure be nice, but I'm sure a lot of other good D-men that never got invites also made it in the bigs before.

It looks like Sauve and Anthony are front runners for the memorial cup. That would be quite the feat, especially considering the bad year the seadogs had last year. What a difference a year and a new coach make. I'd wager a bet that the old coach was to blame for the majority of sauve's fall from grace, considering how good he, and the rest of the team, is doing.

The seadogs are in sole posession of 3rd all time winning streak, the Hull Olympiques are second with a 24-game streak from the 1995-96 season, and the now-defunct Sorel Eperviers hold the all-time record with 25 consecutive victories during the 1973-74 season. 6 more wins and they are the sole record holder.

Archived