The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

Sauve finishes the game +2 and with one assist in a 4-1 win for the Sea Dog's 21st consecutive win. they are ranked #2 in the entire CHL right now (that includes the OHL and WHL). this is an amazing year to the sea dogs, and a great experience for 2 of our prospects. I hope they win the memorial cup.

Sauve has 1 assist so far today, Moncton just took the lead with a short handed goal. oops, now 4-2 on a penalty shot. sea dog's streak is now in jeopardy. The seadogs were on the powerplay, tied 2-2, and by the end of the powerplay it was 4-2 for Moncton... horrible powerplay.

5-2 now, but saint johns is playing their 3rd game in 3 nights, so they gotta be running on empty right now. It's gonna be tough to get back into this one.

Streak ends at 22, but they had a good run. The final score in Moncton was 7-3. Im a huge Sauve fan, but I have to say that today was the worst Ive ever seen him play. I drove with some friends to do the 3-game trip the Dogs did this weekend and took alot of pics of Yann lol.

Streak ends at 22, but they had a good run. The final score in Moncton was 7-3. Im a huge Sauve fan, but I have to say that today was the worst Ive ever seen him play. I drove with some friends to do the 3-game trip the Dogs did this weekend and took alot of pics of Yann lol.

the entire team looked like crap, but Sauve managed to be +1 in a 7 goals against blow out. not bad.

• 3 weeks later...

No one's talked about Sauve in awhile, so I'll do it. He has 22 points in 36 GP, which I'll admit I wasn't overly impressed with. But then I looked at his +/- and right now he's a plus 31! He leads all defenceman in +/- in the QMJHL, and is 4th amongst all players!

So it looks like he has really been working on his defensive game this year, and even though his numbers aren't through the roof, he's still modestly putting up a very good season.

the +/- is kinda deceiving though, seeing as he's playing on the strongest team in the QMJHL, and the #2 rated team in the CHL. Everyone has a huge +/- on the seadogs, but he is the 3rd best on his heam so it should still mean that he is fairly good defensively.

Also, it's not really a "modestly" good year. he's the 2nd highest scoring d-man on his team, one back from the leading d-man, and in 5 less games. he's having an awesome year compared to last year (8 points back from his season total and already matched his # of goals, and last year was his career year with 30 points.)

the +/- is kinda deceiving though, seeing as he's playing on the strongest team in the QMJHL, and the #2 rated team in the CHL. Everyone has a huge +/- on the seadogs, but he is the 3rd best on his heam so it should still mean that he is fairly good defensively.

Also, it's not really a "modestly" good year. he's the 2nd highest scoring d-man on his team, one back from the leading d-man, and in 5 less games. he's having an awesome year compared to last year (8 points back from his season total and already matched his # of goals, and last year was his career year with 30 points.)

I don't think the +/- should be overlooked in this case either because unless I'm wrong he plays against the top lines of other teams.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how would Sauve do when paired next to Edler? He's already mastered the shutdown and physical aspects of the game, but I've a feeling that Edler can help him find his offensive game. Well, maybe after two or three years of minor league development, he can pair with Edler to form a defensive pair that can rival the Keith & Seabrook combination.

I wonder how would Sauve do when paired next to Edler? He's already mastered the shutdown and physical aspects of the game, but I've a feeling that Edler can help him find his offensive game. Well, maybe after two or three years of minor league development, he can pair with Edler to form a defensive pair that can rival the Keith & Seabrook combination.

I don't think so, Keith and Seabrook have a different dimension when it comes to offensive production because they are so skilled on the blueline. Not to take away from Sauve or Edler but I don't think its debatable who would be the better pairing.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think so, Keith and Seabrook have a different dimension when it comes to offensive production because they are so skilled on the blueline. Not to take away from Sauve or Edler but I don't think its debatable who would be the better pairing.

You never know. We can luck out like we did with Burrows and Erhoff. I am not sure how much better Edler will get but Sauve has huge potential. He was ahead of Doughty, Pietragenlo, Bogosian, Schen etc. early in the season until he choked hard from the pressure. If he ever gets past his psychological barrier and keeps improving like he has so far, we could have the biggest steal of the draft here which would be quite a feat considering how well Myers is doing.

You never know. We can luck out like we did with Burrows and Erhoff. I am not sure how much better Edler will get but Sauve has huge potential. He was ahead of Doughty, Pietragenlo, Bogosian, Schen etc. early in the season until he choked hard from the pressure. If he ever gets past his psychological barrier and keeps improving like he has so far, we could have the biggest steal of the draft here which would be quite a feat considering how well Myers is doing.

Very true. I hope the Canucks dont try rushing him and let him continue to work on his game and he could easily become a top 4 defenceman in a few years.

We are all Canuck fans here for the most part so I can see how we are a little biased when projecting our prospects potential, but remind me again how the hell we could ever put Sauve in the same paragraph nevermind same sentence as the likes of Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn, etc. These are legit top franchise d-men and I have never seen Yann play but he has alright stats on the nations top junior team and didn't get a strong look for a spot on our WJC team. I understand he could be a very late bloomer but to compare him to these guys and TYLER freakin' MYERS is the stupidest thing I have heard all day!

I hope I am proven wrong and it wouldn't be the first time a 2nd rounder has turned into a great d-man, but I just don't see Sauve being much more than a 3rd/4th d-man that will be a Willie Mitchell type guy that really doesn't hone a whole ton of offensive skill whatsoever.

We are all Canuck fans here for the most part so I can see how we are a little biased when projecting our prospects potential, but remind me again how the hell we could ever put Sauve in the same paragraph nevermind same sentence as the likes of Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn, etc. These are legit top franchise d-men and I have never seen Yann play but he has alright stats on the nations top junior team and didn't get a strong look for a spot on our WJC team. I understand he could be a very late bloomer but to compare him to these guys and TYLER freakin' MYERS is the stupidest thing I have heard all day!

I hope I am proven wrong and it wouldn't be the first time a 2nd rounder has turned into a great d-man, but I just don't see Sauve being much more than a 3rd/4th d-man that will be a Willie Mitchell type guy that really doesn't hone a whole ton of offensive skill whatsoever.

shea weber picked in the second round 49th overall.. behind dmeen sucha as ryan suter , shawn belle, braydon colborne, mark stuart..

and he turns out to be the best dmen outta that draft..

dont be so sure that sauve wont be great.. these guys are only 20 and still have alotta room to grow..

the only player i dont see sauve being as good as in the future is probably doughty..

shea weber picked in the second round 49th overall.. behind dmeen sucha as ryan suter , shawn belle, braydon colborne, mark stuart..

and he turns out to be the best dmen outta that draft..

dont be so sure that sauve wont be great.. these guys are only 20 and still have alotta room to grow..

the only player i dont see sauve being as good as in the future is probably doughty..

Ya but what are you basing this projection on? All I am saying is he has played ok on the top JR team in Canada, hasn't done anything that has made me think holy crap this guy is gonna be a stud for us....I am not saying he won't be but I just don't understand why all the sudden there are a couple of people that think he could be a cornerstone defenseman for us, I just don't understand what your basing this on that's all....

Archived