The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

correct, his contract would have only slid 2 years (the max).

Grabner signed in the season he turned 21 (2008-2009), so he got the 3 year contract. He turned 22 this season and is in his 2nd year of his contract. his 3rd and final year is next season, where he turns 23 in october.

I think I just found exactly what I'm looking for

Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection,

I think this might explain why some contracts (Grabner) have slid 2 years and why others have not. (Bliznak) It's possible that Grabner agreed to have his contract slide an extra year, which guarantee's Grabner an extra year of money and employment. Whereas teams would be less likely to do that with late round picks who might not pan out, since you might need that space under your 50 player contract limit.

I'm not all that disappointed. He's a 7th rounder and he was doing well at the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone has given up on him. Good 7th round pick for the Canucks, IMO. What would it have taken for you not to be disappointed?

seeing some consistency from him would have been good. going into this season that was his biggest problem and he still had issues with it this season. the few games i saw him play, the only good thing i saw from him was his faceoffs. To me it looked like he just tends to quit on plays and also didn't look like he was skating hard, looked lazy at times. but he still has another year to work on his game at the junior level, so maybe being scratched during the playoffs might wake him up for next year.

Edit: he is not playing because of an injury, not because he's scratched.

Yea... I personally have high hopes for the kid and hopefully he comes over to the moose in the 11/12 season cause he already signed an extension for one more season (10/11). And at end... hes a 7th round pick anyway.

seeing some consistency from him would have been good. going into this season that was his biggest problem and he still had issues with it this season. the few games i saw him play, the only good thing i saw from him was his faceoffs. To me it looked like he just tends to quit on plays and also didn't look like he was skating hard, looked lazy at times. but he still has another year to work on his game at the junior level, so maybe being sctarched during the playoffs might wake him up for next year.

yea, i guess it is disappointing to see anyone just squander talent, if that's the case. Hopefully he finds the right headspace because we don't really have any other forwards with his union of size and skill.

its been like 2 weeks here without hockey i cant wait for this weekend, then making the road trip to Victoriaville for the games there. Sauve had a pretty nice goal at the game in Gatineau, hopefully he can repeat in this series. Still questionable about Anthony's return, last I heard he still hasnt suited up for practice just light skates

Sea Dogs win game 1 of round 3 against Victoriaville 4-2. Yann had a couple of good shots on net, but tonight was not his best game, he made a couple of bone-head mistakes that caused turn-overs in his own zone

Sweet, thx for the update!

I've always wondered this: does Sauve jump up into the rush a lot? What's the style of defenseman that he plays? Is he more of a stay-at-home type of D-man or one who is willing to join the attack? Does he pinch aggressively, or is he more cautious by nature? I know that this year's coaches wanted a more offensive style for the Sea Dogs this year, and his point totals in previous years would have been earned under a more defensive system. It's not surprising to see his point totals this year have gone up again, but I'm just really curious as to what type of game he plays. I know he's a big, tough physical guy but I don't know much about him at all in terms of offense and defense, e.g does he like to shoot or pass the puck more at the blueline? Is he good at holding the zone (keeping the puck in and thus keeping the play alive)? Does he take chances in the attacking zone etc.

This year has been totally different from the past, he does jump into the rush where last year he would stay behind. I think the coachign change helped with that, as the pervious coach didn't want the D's jumping into the rush. As for style of Defensemen, I say he's more offensive, however people argue that and it depends on the day. He is very cautious when he has the puck in possession which can be a good thing at times, but he has his flaws like if the puck goes between his legs he completely loses it and it throws him off his game.

At the blue line its 50/50 he shoots and passes but he fires more shots and does a pretty decent job of keeping the puck in the offensive zone to keep it alive. Ive been a fan since his beginning with the sea dogs and he isnt well liked here in Saint John, or so it seems. No one ever talks about when he plays a good game but if he has an off night (like tonight) its all about how bad he is, why is he here, why is he drafted?? I get crap for wearing his jersey!! He's a big guy with alot of talent, he just doesnt show it every game he plays. I watched a video from canucks on youtube and he was hitting everything in sight, but in the Q he's alot bigger than most and afraid to hit.

This year has been totally different from the past, he does jump into the rush where last year he would stay behind. I think the coachign change helped with that, as the pervious coach didn't want the D's jumping into the rush. As for style of Defensemen, I say he's more offensive, however people argue that and it depends on the day. He is very cautious when he has the puck in possession which can be a good thing at times, but he has his flaws like if the puck goes between his legs he completely loses it and it throws him off his game.

At the blue line its 50/50 he shoots and passes but he fires more shots and does a pretty decent job of keeping the puck in the offensive zone to keep it alive. Ive been a fan since his beginning with the sea dogs and he isnt well liked here in Saint John, or so it seems. No one ever talks about when he plays a good game but if he has an off night (like tonight) its all about how bad he is, why is he here, why is he drafted?? I get crap for wearing his jersey!! He's a big guy with alot of talent, he just doesnt show it every game he plays. I watched a video from canucks on youtube and he was hitting everything in sight, but in the Q he's alot bigger than most and afraid to hit.

That's great info EastCoast47! Good to hear a description of him from someone who watches him play. As for what you said about him seeming afraid to hit, I think it has something to do with the stance on hitting in the QMJHL. I read about this before over at HFBoards and one poster said that if you hit somebody with any amount of force that causes a loud noise then you get called for boarding, even if it was a totally legal hit. I'm not sure if this is really the case but it would explain your own observations as to why he doesn't seem as physical as he could be.

Good stuff though. I'm also curious about his decision-making? Does he often make bad passes or bone-headed plays? Also, is he effective at shutting guys down? How about his stick work and one-on-one defence etc.? I've also heard he's a good skater and I'm curious about his passing ability, and how well he makes that first pass out of the defensive zone. I get this feeling that he could potentially be more of a 2-way D-man one day in the NHL who can play in any situation (much like a No. 1 defenseman, not that I'm saying that he'll turn out to be one for certain), but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance!

he had a pretty good hit in the playoffs in PEI, but the Rocket player turned as Yann went to hit him, as a result Yann ended up with a game misconduct and there was a possible suspension...or PEI was trying, which seems to be the reason he is afraid to throw his weight around. For someone of his size I find he is a really good skater but he needs to work on his passes. He takes alot more shots when he should pass but he is usually at the blue line and when the puck comes to him its more about keeping it in the zone. He is very effective in shutting guys down, Ive actually watched a guy turn around and go the other way when he seen Sauve coming at him in the defensive zone. He makes a couple mistakes here and there but everyone is entitled to that. I could see him being a good 2-way D-Man also but his play seems so different from when he was in Vancouver and when he's here. But with the "hardest/fastest" shot pretty much in the league, when he fires the puck out of his own zone most guys move.

I got him to sign my Vancouver jersey the other day :D anything else you wanna know ask! Ive watched him 34+ games a year for the last 4 years and everyone in Saint John jokes that Im his only fan lol

Don't wanna be a downer here, just being a bit critical I guess, but would Sauve realistically fit into a top 4 role in the NHL?

He had played on a great team this year so some of his stats might be a little in his favour, although still pretty good, is Sauve kind of expected to be our future shutdown d?

Don't wanna be a downer here, just being a bit critical I guess, but would Sauve realistically fit into a top 4 role in the NHL?

He had played on a great team this year so some of his stats might be a little in his favour, although still pretty good, is Sauve kind of expected to be our future shutdown d?

Read EastCoast47's posts; he's got the word on Sauve.

I'd say yes, it sounds like he still has a lot of potential to put in motion. IMO, unlike some of our other D prospects, Sauve's potential will surface more as he plays against men. He'll be able to play an all out physical game without worrying about getting called, and mentoring from experienced defensemen will encourage maturity and poise, limiting his mistakes and adding mental resilience (for when he does make mistakes).

I can see him being the yin to Connauton's yang for a killer D pairing.

For sure, though I'd rather have two more individually balanced defensemen than two extremely counterbalanced defensemen. I think their development from here on out will make the critical difference.

For sure, though I'd rather have two more individually balanced defensemen than two extremely counterbalanced defensemen. I think their development from here on out will make the critical difference.

the more they play with each other the more they will rub off on each other, causing both of them to become more well rounded. Get the chemistry going in the AHL this year, then hopefully they are ready for the NHL the following year. Having a d-pairing make the jump with eachother would be an instant boost.

Archived