#511 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:55 PM

Sauve debut uneventful.

-2 with one shot on goal in a 6-4 Salmon Kings loss.

Salmon Kings Assigned D-Man Yann Sauve
Rookie defenseman Yann Sauve joins Victoria on re-assignment will make pro debut tonight!

For Immediate Release

Friday, November 26, 2010

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Salmon Kings, proud affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose, announced today that Vancouver contracted defenseman Yann Sauve has been re-assigned to the team by the Canucks via Manitoba.

The Montreal, PQ native joins Victoria after completing a four-year junior career with the Saint John Sea Dogs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). Last season, Sauve appeared in 61 games for the Sea Dogs scoring 36 points (7g-29a) while serving 65 minutes in penalties. The defenseman also helped lead Saint John to the QMJHL Final this past spring where he recorded 15 points (5g-10a) and 36 penalty minutes in 21 playoff contests.

The 6-3, 200 lb Sauve finished his time in Saint John with 20 goals and 82 assists for 102 points in 251 games while accumulating 296 minutes in penalties. He also dressed for 39 career QMJHL Playoff games with the Sea Dogs notching 20 points (6g-14a) and 67 penalty minutes. Sauve also participated in the 2006 QMJHL All-Star Game representing Saint John.

The 20-year-old, a second-round selection (#41 overall) of the Canucks in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, has also played hockey internationally for Team Canada at the 2007 World Junior U-18 Championships, where he notched one assist and four penalty minutes in six games. Sauve has also represented Team QMJHL in four versions of the Canada-Russia Super Series challenge, totaling one assist and 16 minutes in penalties across seven contests.

#512 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

Sauve had an assist today and was even on the night with 3 shots on goal, in a 6-3 loss. Looks like Morrison has already been using him on the PK as he was on the ice for 2 PP goals against, and on the ice for both 1 goal for and against at 5-on-5. However, his lone assist came on a goal where it seems he had already gone off for a line change! Posted Image Unfortunately he didn't get the + for it. So maybe he should have been +1 tonight overall then...

Anybody been watching him play?

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 28 November 2010 - 12:08 AM.

RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#513 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:07 AM

Yann had an assist for the Salmon Kings tonight in a 3-2 OT loss.

2 shots.

2 minutes for boarding.

+2

#514 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

Yann had an assist for the Salmon Kings tonight in a 3-2 OT loss.

2 shots.

2 minutes for boarding.

+2

Hmm, seems like he is rapidly improving. Seriously, even at this level of pro hockey to improve so much over
such a short period suggests he will be promoted to the Moose soon. For Yann this season making the Moose is
a successful year. Next year starring on the Moose is essential for that next step to the NHL.

#515 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:45 AM

Wherever he plays, as long as he gets lots of ice time then that's fine by me! Nothing wrong with starting your pro career in the ECHL, as long as you can make it out of there and move up to the AHL, and then the NHL. He definitely seems to be coming along, having been given a lot of ice time over the past few games. But most of all, it's just good to see him playing again, really, what with that concussion he suffered.

I just realized that pretty much all of our 2008 draft picks have suffered from injuries that have been worrisome and obviously it's caused grief and angst among us Canucks fans. By this I mean Hodgson with that back injury, Sauve with his concussion, Rai with his own (still ongoing) back problems, as well as Froshaug with those mysterious illnesses of his that have hurt his development and confidence. It's just good to see them all (or most of them except for Rai) finally healthy and playing again after such a long layoff from hockey.

#516 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hmm, seems like he is rapidly improving. Seriously, even at this level of pro hockey to improve so much over
such a short period suggests he will be promoted to the Moose soon. For Yann this season making the Moose is
a successful year. Next year starring on the Moose is essential for that next step to the NHL.

3 GP... it's hard to tell what your baseline was to say that he's improving (unless you are just talking health wise) :P

And I'm fairly certain the moose site said he was reassigned on a conditioning stint, not permanently reassigned.

Edit: nevermind, the AHL transaction log has him listed as reassigned, not on a Conditioning loan (though maybe that does not exist from the AHL to the ECHL)

Edited by avelanch, 02 December 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#517 Sawchuk

Sawchuk

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

Listening to local radio here in Victoria, the latest Salmon Kings ad is basically hyping Sauve. They had the Mark Morrison come on and describe the way Yann plays; to paraphrase, he said that Yann is a big guy, a good skater and can contribute both offensively and defensively; he thinks that Sauve has a good chance of one day playing for the 'Nucks and that attending a SKings game now would be a good chance to see a future NHL'er.

Of course we sort of know all these things already; but, it's still nice to hear.
Posted Image
You've got to play sixty minutes to get my record" - Terry Sawchuk

#518 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

Anyone know what happened to Ellington? Not that I care, but I realize he only has 14 games. A healthy scratch? Or Injured?

Sauve 3 games played 2 points.
Ellington 14 games played 3 points.

Sigh.... 2007 draft...
Posted Image

#519 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

He hasn't played since Nov 17th... not sure why.

#520 brownbello

brownbello

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

I believe Ellington suffered a concussion. That's why he's out. I think its also on the latest article from the Time's which talks about the amount Sauve's actually playing because of injuries.

#521 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

What happened to Ellington? He's just following the trend and getting a concussion too - everyone else is doing it, so it must be cool right? Posted Image

But in all seriousness... I hate how our D-men always seem to get concussions - Mitchell, Sauve, Ellington. Even Funk had one last year that knocked him for the remainder of the season (and he's out of hockey now as far as I know).

Just nasty, nasty business all around. I'd rather see broken legs or torn ACLs instead of head injuries like this because once you get one, you're more susceptible to another in future.

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 02 December 2010 - 07:35 PM.

#522 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

Yann was held off the score sheet in a 5-3 loss to Stockton tonight.

-1 with two shots on goal.

#523 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

Good to see that he's at least getting shots on net every game. Hopefully he's getting lots of minutes to get him back into shape.

#524 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

What happened to Ellington? He's just following the trend and getting a concussion too - everyone else is doing it, so it must be cool right? Posted Image

But in all seriousness... I hate how our D-men always seem to get concussions - Mitchell, Sauve, Ellington. Even Funk had one last year that knocked him for the remainder of the season (and he's out of hockey now as far as I know).

Just nasty, nasty business all around. I'd rather see broken legs or torn ACLs instead of head injuries like this because once you get one, you're more susceptible to another in future.

It's due to an increasing awareness of concussions, and the culture has changed. Before, it used to be if you slammed your head, you'd get up and go back into it unless you were really wobbly and out of it. Nowadays, coaches and doctors are more worried about long term issues like dementia so they hold players back when there's the possibility of having one. There also is the case of players getting heavier and faster with increased knowledge of nutrition, training, and equipment getting lighter whilst providing the same level of protection as they used to.

#525 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:26 AM

Salmon Kings lost in Overtime to Stockton tonight-5-4.

Yann had three shots on net,no points and was flat on the +/-.

Not sure of the ice time he's logging as that is not given on the statsheet.

#526 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

I'd have to think it would be pretty high, as their most talented d-men are injured right now, and he's their best option.

#527 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

Sauve finally back playing, in ECHL
By Gordon McIntyre Mon, Dec 6 2010 COMMENTS(3) The White Towel Filed under: sauve Defenceman Yann Sauve, a Canucks second-round pick in 2008 who suffered a concussion in September prior to training camp, made his pro debut with the Victoria Salmon Kings on Nov. 26.

Sauve, 20, has played five games for the Canucks ECHL affiliate, picking up two assists.

Chosen 41st overall in '08, Sauve was struck by a car on Burrard Street when he looked the wrong way while crossing in September.

A couple other Canucks prospects are also struggling with injuries in Victoria: Prab Rai has yet to make his pro debut with the Salmon Kings because of an ongoing back ailment; and Taylor Ellington is out indefinitely with a concussion.

#528 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,095 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Dave Babych was interviewed between periods tonight and he mentioned that Yann Sauve is "on his way to Manitoba". I don't know if he meant right now but it should be pretty soon, the 'stache said he was really impressed with his skating for such a big guy. Apparently, "he's an NHL skater already".

qrC4ALSTG9AZO.gif

#529 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

Dave Babych was interviewed between periods tonight and he mentioned that Yann Sauve is "on his way to Manitoba". I don't know if he meant right now but it should be pretty soon, the 'stache said he was really impressed with his skating for such a big guy. Apparently, "he's an NHL skater already".

Yeah, he's got some really good speed. I think Babych means figuratively, not literally. I don't see anything in the AHL transactions list other than Desbiens being added to the moose and them dropping Lemieux.

Edited by avelanch, 16 December 2010 - 10:58 AM.

#530 doublej

doublej

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, he's got some really good speed. I think Babych means metaphorically, not figuratively. I don't see anything in the AHL transactions list other than Desbiens being added to the moose and them dropping Lemieux.

I don't think he meant it metaphorically or figuratively (which actually mean the same thing).

Having said that, I don't think Babych meant it literally.

#531 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

Yeah I meant to say "figuratively, not literally" :P
It Has been updated, and I think he meant it figuratively.

Edited by avelanch, 16 December 2010 - 10:58 AM.

#532 RogersArena

RogersArena

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

Vancouver Canucks re-assign D Yann Sauve from ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings to AHL's Manitoba Moose. 36 minutes ago via OpenBeak
http://twitter.com/C...517912689283072

Posted Image

#533 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

Vancouver Canucks re-assign D Yann Sauve from ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings to AHL's Manitoba Moose. 36 minutes ago via OpenBeak
http://twitter.com/C...517912689283072

It seems that Bab, really meant it literally...
Posted Image

#534 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,646 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Moose link: (confirming it)

http://www.moosehock...senews/407/2070
Posted Image

#535 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

F*ck yeah!

It'll take him a few more games probably, to get up to speed. But excited nonetheless for him.

Sauve will likely be in the NHL next year, if he gets up to where he left off last year.

#536 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Interesting, just before the back to back games coming up tomorrow and saturday. I wonder how much playing time he will get, if any.

Hopefully he sticks and never have to go back to the ECHL again, where prospects go to die (figuratively).

#537 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

Apparently it really was literally (or just a lucky call with a figurative expression) :P

Glad to see him come up, I'm excited to see how he does. Lord knows the Moose need some help (they desperately need a stay at home d-man). I hope he plays with Connauton so they can feed off each other (instead of Baumer bringing him down).

#538 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Salmon Kings' Sauve Re-Assigned To Moose
Defenseman Yann Sauve returns to AHL on re-assignment from Vancouver.

For Immediate Release

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Salmon Kings, proud affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose, announced today that Vancouver contracted defenseman Yann Sauve has been re-assigned to the Moose by the Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL),

The Montreal, PQ native began his professional career this season with the Salmon Kings after being re-assigned to the club on November 26th. Since joining the team, Sauve dressed in eight contests recording two assists and four minutes in penalties.

Sauve, 20, was a second-round selection (#41 overall) of the Canucks in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

#539 doublej

doublej

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Here's hoping he spent some of his time down in Victoria learning how to cross the road.

#540 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Glad to see him come up, I'm excited to see how he does. Lord knows the Moose need some help (they desperately need a stay at home d-man). I hope he plays with Connauton so they can feed off each other (instead of Baumer bringing him down).

My thoughts exactly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.