The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

I know the 11-12 season is far away.

But as of now we only have 2 d-men signed for that season. Edler and Oberg

Let's just say we extend Ehrhoffs contract and sign Hamhuis this off-season.

This is what it could look like:

Alex Edler - Christian Ehrhoff

Dan Hamhuis - Kevin Connauton

Yann Sauve - Evan Oberg

That would free up a ton of cap-space and I think we'd still be competitive.

Since it looks like Sauve and Connauton are going to get a year in the AHL first and Oberg is already a good dman down in the AHL.

'twould be awesome

I know that if Sauve doesnt sign by the June 1st deadline he goes back into the draft at the end of June...but my question is could Vancouver re-draft him?

they COULD, but it would be a waste of a pick, seeing as they could sign and then draft someone else.

could someone please explain why he would go back into the draft if not signed?. I don't get it since he was drafted not too long ago.

Re-entering the Draft

A player not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted can re-enter the draft, as long as he is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. Players over 20 become unrestricted free agents.

NCAA players are an exception: NHL teams retain the rights to a college player until 30 days after the player has left college.

A team that does not sign a first-round draft pick is awarded a compensatory pick in a future draft upon losing the rights to that player.

A player who has been drafted a second time cannot re-enter.

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/prospects/a/nhl_draft_basic.htm

Sauve was drafted in '08, and just turned 20 in Feb.

He has one week to sign the guy or he goes back into the draft?????????????

Wasn't he nominated for defense man of the year this year ???

Gillis is a total TOOL if he lets Sauve walk.

Maybe for some reason Sauve does not want to sign in Vancouver. Maybe he's getting bad advice from an agent.

Gillis can't FORCE him to sign a contract.

Is there any cases of players who grow up only wanting to play for there home city?

I know if I was nominated as defencemen of the year and was a draft pick of the Canadiens, I would possibly hold out and sign with the Canucks.

Could this be the case here?

Is there any cases of players who grow up only wanting to play for there home city?

I know if I was nominated as defencemen of the year and was a draft pick of the Canadiens, I would possibly hold out and sign with the Canucks.

Could this be the case here?

he'd have to wait 2 more years of holding out if montreal doesn't draft him when he re-enters the draft (IE, someone else drafts him first). That's a heck of a gamble. I think it would be easier to play in the AHL and develop while quietly letting the GM know that you would like to play for montreal.

Maybe for some reason Sauve does not want to sign in Vancouver. Maybe he's getting bad advice from an agent.

Gillis can't FORCE him to sign a contract.

Hes had TWO YEARS to sign him. Letting a guy like this walk for nothing is a serious issue.

this could be quite a concern because MG decided to Sign the likes of Taylor Ellington, Prab rai, Stefan Schneider and Eddie Lack over their arguebly best defensive dman prospect.

Well he has less than a week to get something done, this could be a huge blow to our prospect pool if we lose Sauve. MG's credit will literally drop if he does this..

What seems odd to me is that nobody in the media seems to be asking about his contract situation and whenever Gillis mentions Sauve he talks like he is already signed or completely oblivious to the fact he may go back into the draft. I am sure that Gillis knows about it and we have all seen him go down to the wire with contract extensions but I hope there is news soon because Sauve is our top defensive D man prospect and losing him would be a big blow to our future of the D.

this could be quite a concern because MG decided to Sign the likes of Taylor Ellington, Prab rai, Stefan Schneider and Eddie Lack over their arguebly best defensive dman prospect.

Well he has less than a week to get something done, this could be a huge blow to our prospect pool if we lose Sauve. MG's credit will literally drop if he does this..

Signing those prospects has NOTHING to do with Sauve because:

1. These players were done their respective team's playoffs when they were signed( with the exception of S. Schneider).. while Sauve just finished his QMJHL playoffs about 10 days ago.

2. Rai, Schneider are forwards and Lack is a goalie.

3. Ellington was signed LAST YEAR, and has played a year of pro hockey already.

4. The canucks are nowhere near their contract limit, so it's not like they chose the aforementioned players over Sauve.

I do agree that MG should NOT lose are best D- prospect (now arguably with Connauton's great WHL season, as well O'Berg and Andersson are nothing to shake a stick at)

But to state that he made mistakes by signing those above players is absurd.

although it is easy to blame MG if he doesn't sign, I don't think it would be fair.

I don't see why MG would put as much emphasis on our young players, as he has, if he wouldn't sign our best D prospect.

in my head this seems to be more on Yann and his agent asking for too much on this contract.

what's the compensation????

I know if Sauve is offered a contract and doesnt sign it, there is a compensatory draft pick....it better be a 2nd round pick!

Teams HAVE to be protected from kids unwilling to sign (BTW Canucks fans seriously overrate Sauve).

Archived