765 replies to this topic

#661 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Any update on this guy? He was once one of our most highly touted prospect.

#662 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,722 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Tanev and Connauton passed him on the depth chart. He might be good in Aaron Rome's spot for the upcoming season. A good defensive defenseman who has a chance to surprise when AV benches Ballard.

#663 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

That accident really hurt his development I think. But from the looks of it, he's a steady stay at home guy who is trusted in key situations.

He's never going to do anything flashy, but he can be counted on to make the safe plays. He would be a great depth guy because of his size, strength, and skating ability.

There's still lots of good things to like about him.

#664 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

He probably still has a Hamhuis esq. celing. I mean he didn't get selected 1st overall in the QMJHL for nothing. Depressing to hear that the car accident set him back that much though.

#665 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

He probably still has a Hamhuis esq. celing. I mean he didn't get selected 1st overall in the QMJHL for nothing. Depressing to hear that the car accident set him back that much though.

I dunno about Hamhuis... Hamhuis is a very smart decision maker with the puck. Sauve seems to struggle with this when theres lot of pressure. I bet he in turns into an aarom rome calibre player.

#666 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

I dunno about Hamhuis... Hamhuis is a very smart decision maker with the puck. Sauve seems to struggle with this when theres lot of pressure. I bet he in turns into an aarom rome calibre player.

This is probably the most likely. However, who knows? He's getting another big development year in the AHL, with the stupid lockout and all.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#667 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,535 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Posted Image

#668 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Sauve is looking pretty good so far this season, (+ player in every game so far) I seriously think he can become a more reliable Aaron Rome guy in the future, bottom pairing, but reliable against average skilled opponents. I've been pretty impressed with him, and will always remember his effort to setup for that Sedin tic-tac-toe goal.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#669 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Sauve is looking pretty good so far this season, (+ player in every game so far) I seriously think he can become a more reliable Aaron Rome guy in the future, bottom pairing, but reliable against average skilled opponents. I've been pretty impressed with him, and will always remember his effort to setup for that Sedin tic-tac-toe goal.

as far as i ve seen, sauve and andersson have been pretty solid. Nothing spectatular, but solid.

#670 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't see much of Wolves games, but when drafted, he has NHL size and speed, and oozing with skills... but haven't clicked due to coaching, confidence, or maybe it just fizzled. I remember a few years back during a prospect tournament and he was just a man among boys.

So, how is his playing style now in the AHL? If he a physical force like a poor man's Brent Seabrook? Maybe an Aaron Rome, a jack-of-all-trades? Perhaps just a much bigger/physical version of Tanev?

#671 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

POPULAR

Sauve's defensive game revolves around smart safe plays, but he can skate and stick handle when he needs to. And he's obviously very capable to play a physical game.

I think alot of people are disappointed because they expected him to be an offensive defenseman because he put up good numbers in junior. You gotta remember he played on a stacked Sea Dogs team though, so points came a little more easily.

His offensive game will develop in time. But his true strengths are his shut down capabilities. And he seems to be honing those skills very nicely right now.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#672 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

It would be nice to see him add some mean streak to his game. he'd be a poor mans Phaneuf without the offensive prowless

2moy3iq.png

#673 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'd say his high-end potential is a Bryan Allen or Colin White type defenseman. Defensively responsible, size, pretty good skater, below average but not terrible offensively, plays physical but is not an animal. Bottom pairing guy solid enough to plug away with second pairing minutes if there are injuries or lack of talent.

Edited by canucklehead44, 06 November 2012 - 12:43 PM.

Sig too big.

#674 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

It would be nice to see him add some mean streak to his game. he'd be a poor mans Phaneuf without the offensive prowless

Out of all the defenseman in the league you picked Phaneuf. Phaneuf is defined mostly by his offensive ability. There are dozens of physical, stay-at-home dmen in the league.
Sig too big.

#675 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

Sauve's defensive game revolves around smart safe plays, but he can skate and stick handle when he needs to. And he's obviously very capable to play a physical game.

I think alot of people are disappointed because they expected him to be an offensive defenseman because he put up good numbers in junior. You gotta remember he played on a stacked Sea Dogs team though, so points came a little more easily.

His offensive game will develop in time. But his true strengths are his shut down capabilities. And he seems to be honing those skills very nicely right now.

Good post. It's obvious now that he doesn't have the offensive upside as first thought when he was drafted 1st overall into the Q, but if he works on playing a simple game he may carve out a career as a safe and steady bottom pairing guy with size, skating and a good shot.

He has to keep working at making quicker decisions with the puck though, or he may never be a full-time NHLer.

#676 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Good post. It's obvious now that he doesn't have the offensive upside as first thought when he was drafted 1st overall into the Q, but if he works on playing a simple game he may carve out a career as a safe and steady bottom pairing guy with size, skating and a good shot.

He has to keep working at making quicker decisions with the puck though, or he may never be a full-time NHLer.

Honestly he's looked quite good on the Wolves defense. I'd say only Tanev regularly outshines him, and Connauton does so on some nights. I think he's just focusing on making smart defensive plays, rebuilding his confidence by staying at home, then he'll add an offensive side to his game. Basically like what Tanev is doing.

Keswho.jpg

#677 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Lp
GO Canucks GO

#678 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

Honestly he's looked quite good on the Wolves defense. I'd say only Tanev regularly outshines him, and Connauton does so on some nights. I think he's just focusing on making smart defensive plays, rebuilding his confidence by staying at home, then he'll add an offensive side to his game. Basically like what Tanev is doing.

Yeah, if he makes it that'll be his bread and butter - playing a safe, simple, steady, stay at home game. I have seen him hesitate with the puck on some occasions when under pressure so he could still stand to pass it quicker or take authority and skate it up himself.

#679 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

So, anyone with an update?

#680 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

So, anyone with an update?

I think he's been out with an injury since December... it's been a tough year for him, even when he was playing. Gotta wonder if the Nucks will re-up him as he's RFA this year.

#681 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Jason Shaver@theshaves

Yann Sauve was reassigned to Kalamazoo ECHL this morning...he has missed the last 16 games with an injury. Last game was 12/7 vs. GR #rehab

#682 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Jason Shaver@theshaves
Yann Sauve was reassigned to Kalamazoo ECHL this morning...he has missed the last 16 games with an injury. Last game was 12/7 vs. GR #rehab

So there it is... that's unfortunate; he's only played 12 games all year too.

#683 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

In his 2nd ECHL game, Sauve scored a goal, fired 5 shots on net and was +1 on the night for Kalamazoo in a 3-2 win over the Cincinnati Cyclones. The goal was assisted by fellow Canucks prospect Alex Grenier.

#684 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

#685 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,469 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Jason Shaver@theshaves

Perhaps it is just a condidtioning stint, and he maybe will be back up with the Wolves at somepoint, although with Vandermeer being sent down that possibility might have evaporated.

Although maybe we could send Ebbett down and Recall Vandy, as Ebbett has been bad and Vandy could be useful with all the fighting we have been doing lately, (Could have stepped in against Clowe rather than Kass) That would then open up another opportunity for Sauve (in theory) if Arniel is willing to give it too him.

Sucks to say but I don't see him being re-signed, It's a shame as I think Arniel has mis-treated him this year and perhaps he could have done more, oh well, there is still time left in the year, let's all hope for the best.

zackass.png

#686 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Sauve scored the 2nd goal of his short stint in the AHL for Kalamazoo in a 5-1 win over the Fort Wayne Komets today. He had 3 shots on net and finished a +3.

#687 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

After scoring for Kalamzoo on Wednesday night, Sauve had no points, 1 shot on net, 2 PIMS and a +2 rating tonight in a 5-3 win over the Elmira Jackals.

#688 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm sad. We had so much faith in Sauve, but to see him down in the ECHL sucks.

I really hope he'll end up at least making a push for the NHL at some point in his career.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#689 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

He's been having a bounce-back in the ECHL. Good to see.

#690 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Sauve went scoreless and had 3 shots on net, 4 PIMS and an even rating for Kalamazoo in a 2-1 win over the Trenton Titans today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.