The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

Oberg should around 200 hopfully and atleast 190 in order to remain full time. I see him getting first call ups this year, and then serving as a bottom pairing guy next year or year after.

When players bulk up that much wouldn't it be awkward for them when trying to adjust to their drastically-increased playing weight? I agree that he should definitely be getting more call-ups this year, though I'm not even sure what he projects to be in the NHL ultimately, e.g. a Top 4 defenceman? A bottom-pairing guy?

When players bulk up that much wouldn't it be awkward for them when trying to adjust to their drastically-increased playing weight? I agree that he should definitely be getting more call-ups this year, though I'm not even sure what he projects to be in the NHL ultimately, e.g. a Top 4 defenceman? A bottom-pairing guy?

not this year, next year. Maybe 200 is pushing it but he should atleast be 190, if he isn't he would likely be pushed off the puck pretty easily.

edit: even naslund weight 195 i think :P

source: memories of nhl 2005

Hey EastCoast... when do you think Sauve might crack the Canucks lineup full time

My honest opinion is that he's not quite ready for the big league yet. I think he's better suited for a year or possibly 2 with the Moose to perfect his game a little more. That said, theres always the chance of getting a temporary call up for injuries and what not but I don't quite think he'll be in a Vancouver jersey this season. He opted not to come to Saint John training camp this year so he's going straight to the Rookie Camp/Tournament and then Main Camp in Vancouver.

not this year, next year. Maybe 200 is pushing it but he should atleast be 190, if he isn't he would likely be pushed off the puck pretty easily.

edit: even naslund weight 195 i think :P

source: memories of nhl 2005

Naslund being 195 is fine, because he's a forward and you can be as heavy or as light as possible.

While I'm happy that Oberg has been bulking up to roughly 190lbs, that's still tiny for a defenseman. Salo/Edler - 215, O'Brien - 230, Ballard/Hamhuis - 210, and even Ehrhoff is 205... so unless Oberg is super skilled in cutting off passes and playing the angles (like Willie Mitchell), he won't be a regular for the Canucks (unless of course he's the next coming of Mike Green).

Naslund being 195 is fine, because he's a forward and you can be as heavy or as light as possible.

While I'm happy that Oberg has been bulking up to roughly 190lbs, that's still tiny for a defenseman. Salo/Edler - 215, O'Brien - 230, Ballard/Hamhuis - 210, and even Ehrhoff is 205... so unless Oberg is super skilled in cutting off passes and playing the angles (like Willie Mitchell), he won't be a regular for the Canucks (unless of course he's the next coming of Mike Green).

Lidstrom is 190 lbs... like you say, he'll have to be exceptional positionally. skating and stick checking will be huge too.

Although size and mass is definitely a benefit, you also have to remember technique, leverage and strength are equally important. There's no point in being a 6'1 240lbs behemoth on defense if you can't use your weight or strength properly.

As long as Oberg is strong enough to handle power forwards or big physical guys, I don't really care what his weight is.

There's also the potential for a player to get slower if they get too heavy. A lot of it will depend on his frame and genetics.

Although size and mass is definitely a benefit, you also have to remember technique, leverage and strength are equally important. There's no point in being a 6'1 240lbs behemoth on defense if you can't use your weight or strength properly.

As long as Oberg is strong enough to handle power forwards or big physical guys, I don't really care what his weight is.

There's also the potential for a player to get slower if they get too heavy. A lot of it will depend on his frame and genetics.

I remember Brandon Reid put on 15lbs or 20lbs during the offseason ( the offseason after he played in the St. Louis series). It made him a less effective player, even though the weight was probably all muscle. Losing that top-end speed meant the end of his NHL career.

• 4 weeks later...

Published in today's edition of Telegraph-Journal (Saint Jonh, NB)

UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT: Former Sea Dogs defenceman and Vancouver Canucks prospect Yann Sauve was involved in a motor vehicle accident in downtown Vancouver Saturday, according to a statement released Tuesday by the Canucks.

"He is making very good progress,'' according to the statement. "He is continuing to be evaluated and his playing status will be updated at a later time."

Sauve was scheduled to play for the Canucks at this weekend's Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, B.C. The tournament also includes teams representing San Jose, Anaheim and Calgary.

well I just read an article on a Vancouver newspaper web site saying that he was hit by a car while walking in a cross-walk when the "Do Not Walk" sign was on. Suffered abraisions to face and body. His status of whether or not he can play in the Young Stars Tournament will be decided Friday by Canucks medical staff

I saw that article too, hopefully he's ok! Just reading about it brought back memories of Luc Bourdon all over again... Our organization sometimes seems like it has the worst luck when it comes to injuries.

I'm stoked to see him in action when cleared to play again though; he and Michael Funk were the 2 D-men I was watching out for the most at last year's training camp.

well I just read an article on a Vancouver newspaper web site saying that he was hit by a car while walking in a cross-walk when the "Do Not Walk" sign was on. Suffered abraisions to face and body. His status of whether or not he can play in the Young Stars Tournament will be decided Friday by Canucks medical staff

mind sharing the source?

WHAT AN IDIOT! I'm sorry but if you walk across the streets when the "DO NOT WALK" sign is on you are just asking for trouble, ESPECIALLY in Vancouver!!!!

I've heard speculations in Saint John about the possible return of Sauve to the Q for one more season. I highly doubt thats going to happen but its what I've heard, but has he even been cleared to play in the canucks main camp? I know he is listed on the roster but I havent heard anything more than that.

I've heard speculations in Saint John about the possible return of Sauve to the Q for one more season. I highly doubt thats going to happen but its what I've heard, but has he even been cleared to play in the canucks main camp? I know he is listed on the roster but I havent heard anything more than that.

I think he's skating with group C. But I think he's done in Junior, he needs to go to a higher level for more developement.

Archived