The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen - 7/10

Pretty good movie. Held my interest, and my wife enjoyed it too. They focused a bit too much on the British side of the story though. I think it would have been better if there was more insight and character development into the Sheikh and his opposers.

Big Miracle - 6/10

Nice little family movie. Nothing spectacular, but not a total snooze/cheese-fest either. Drew Barrymore was really annoying, but most of the other acting was decent.

Radio Days - 7.5/10

Woody Allen film in which he details stories from both his youth and showbusiness in the early 40's. All of them in some way involved the radio, which was always playing in his house. A very young Seth Green plays Woody as a child.

It was cute, had some laughs, and the nostalgic value was pretty high. For a while it kind of seemed pointless, but then it was tied together beautifully in the end.

Just got back from Total Recall (2012). The little I read about it beforehand showed that it was getting bad reviews but I really enjoyed it from a Sci-Fi perspective. So many great ideas:

Gravity Elevator: http://en.wikipedia....i/Gravity_train

Hover Cars

Cyborgs

Implants

All futuristic things that I love.

Also, one of my favourite actors, Bill Nighy was in it (but only for a few minutes :( )

7.5/10!

Young Adult - 4.5/10

Really expected this to be better than it was. Definitely a let down. Not that expected a lot from another Diablo Cody script, but I sure expected more from Reitman. The tone of the movie was not what bothered me, it just felt like a film that really didn't need to be done.

Now yes, it can easily be argued that most films do not need to be made. That's when I go back to Reitman. His recent films, "Up in the Air" and "Juno" were both bright spots in films the years they were done. Young Adult was altogether forgettable.

Men in Black 3 - 7/10

It really was not too bad. A hell of a lot better than the second was.

It never really dragged, and it was pretty easy to connect with. Despite the content, I don't feel that it got particularly convoluted either.

Josh Brolin was pretty awesome, as was pretty much the entire cast. Just a fun movie overall... you know, if it's the kind of movie you want to be watching.

Watch Rocky. The plot of every boxing/karate/kickboxing/mma/wrestling or similar movie since is defined in that movie. 9/10

Finally watched my ancient PVR recording of Mirror, Mirror. Julia Roberts as a hot evil queen? No. Julia Roberts as her old crone witch equivalent? Yes.

The movie is for kids, granted. But there's not enough happening to keep their attention. And there's certainly not enough interesting dialogue or plot developments to keep parents interested. The jokes rank from mildly-amusing to groan-inducing, the movie seemed to be missing some scenes as the flow was choppy at best, and the ending was downright uncomfortably embarrassing. My wife didn't even stick around to watch the last third.

Another movie that tried to appeal to everyone but entertains no one. Stupid movie. 3/10

Yojimbo - 10/10 - Thank Kurosawa if you enjoyed movies like Last Man Standing, A Fistful of Dollars or Sukiyaki Western Django.

Seven Samurai - 10/10 - One of Kurosawa's greatest films and even though is lengthy at 3+ hours, the audience won't realize how much time has passed because the film is so engrossing.

Matha Marcy May Marlene - 8/10 - A haunting picture of a young woman who reaches out to her alienated older sister after escaping a cult ran by a character played by Deadwood's John Hawkes (who is great in this film btw). Kind of slow moving so not for those seeking action, it is more for people interested in psychological thrillers.

Drive Angry - 2/10 - Don't see this movie unless you are wasted. Preferably blackout wasted.

MIB 3 - 7/10

Like others have said, better than the 2nd one. But still lacks all the magic of the original. The acting, special effects, and pacing are all top notch - but the script was kind of lacking.

What To Expect When You're Expecting - 5.5/10

Chris Rock and Elizabeth Banks are just funny enough to keep this fairly entertaining. And I semi-enjoyed Dennis Quaid's character. Not by any means great, but not as bad as I expected it to be.

However, the Anna Kendrick storyline was completely useless - I thought she was better than this. They should have cut it entirely and kept it under 90 minutes, but at 110 it was far too long.

Yes I'm late. I saw Dark Knight Rises. Honestly, it's hard for me to rate it. Technically, the movie is superb. The script though...even suspending belief was pushing it. Anne Hathaway blew me away as Catwoman though. She looked superb, and was believable.

She was more of a retro-Catwoman, sort of like a serious version of the ones from the Batman TV series.

Bane on the other hand. Outside of the Penguin he is the lamest villain. Hardy really tried, and Ledger is impossible to top. They should have kept Two-Face for this one. It's too bad I really liked Bale, Caine, and Oldman. Caine really did a fantastic acting job in this one. The film tried too hard to tie up loose ends.

6.5/10? I would have rated it higher but that script was awful. Worst of the three movies. But no where near as bad as Spider-Man 3, or Return of the Jedi.

Yes I'm late. I saw Dark Knight Rises. Honestly, it's hard for me to rate it. Technically, the movie is superb. The script though...even suspending belief was pushing it. Anne Hathaway blew me away as Catwoman though. She looked superb, and was believable.

She was more of a retro-Catwoman, sort of like a serious version of the ones from the Batman TV series.

Bane on the other hand. Outside of the Penguin he is the lamest villain. Hardy really tried, and Ledger is impossible to top. They should have kept Two-Face for this one. It's too bad I really liked Bale, Caine, and Oldman. Caine really did a fantastic acting job in this one. The film tried too hard to tie up loose ends.

6.5/10? I would have rated it higher but that script was awful. Worst of the three movies. But no where near as bad as Spider-Man 3, or Return of the Jedi.

Archived