The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

Gnomeo and Juliet - 5.75

Sucker punch - 3.2

Tower Heist - 6.5

Hop - 5.5

bad movie marathon on the "premium" stations (encore and HBO). it's mainly just background noise while i work.

Up next - Mars needs moms

edit, nevermind, i cant even suffer through the first 5 min, it's TOOOO awful.

I'm gonna try the smurfs instead.

^^^

I'd like to be able to say that you've been missing out...but other than animated stuff, most of it has been pretty bad. Even the few decent movies haven't been good because of Murphy, but more in spite of him.

The best non-animated movie he's done since '90 is probably Bowfinger. That was pretty good. But even then, can't say I LOVED it.

Total Recall (2012) - 6.5/10

I feel like I should give it a somewhat higher rating because I enjoyed it more than that, but on the whole it was still just an above average action movie.

As a remake, I think it did the job for the most part. It drastically changed story elements of the original, but it didn't change anything thematically. Different situation with the same principles involved. The way they altered, expanded, and removed certain characters and their roles threw me off a bit, but as a way to shake things up a bit and put their own stamp on the movie, I didn't mind.

One thing that was perhaps a bit awkward was when they tried to replicate certain scenes and quirks from the original. Stuff like the rolling of a tear of sadness rather than nervous sweat was a bit clever. But randomly throwing in 3 boob lady, along with the weird fat woman in the yellow coat... callbacks like that were unnecessary. Kind of as if the movie was trying to remind the viewer that this was indeed a Total Recall movie because they had possibly forgotten so.

Considering that I can say I was able to enjoy a remake to an original movie that I liked quite a bit, I can't really complain. But I do doubt that I will be bothering to ever watch this again, whereas I'm certain that I'll be continuing to re-watch the Schwarzenegger multiple times in the future. So there is that.

2/10 Ruby Sparks

As a literature major, aspiring english teacher, and aspiring writer (still dreaming and not even close to being able to consider myself one, I wouldn't even dare) this movie was a kick smack dab in the face! I tried to look at the movie from a pure acting/directing point of view to see if that was the only thing I found appalling. Although I did find the casting/acting/directing horrendous, what bothered me so much about it was the lack of originality. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, as many will argue about the 'death of the author', however, it was just so predictable and, frankly... *yawn*. Now, I am not claiming that originality is trait I posses, that would be highly pretentious, but I think it is in most writers unconscious to write something with as much original value as possible and this story/movie IMHO missed the mark by a long shot.

P.S

If your GF or wife claims she wants to watch a movie with the words Ruby and Sparks in it, tell her it is not the romantic date film she is hoping for. However, if you think you can handle 90mins of drudgery because what you are hoping for is to get your rocks off, then by all means sweat it out haha.

Dark Knight Rises - 8/10

I should preface this by saying I was not a fan of the second movie. It was pretty good, and was certainly fun to watch the first time, but it's heavily overrated, and frankly it's hilarious how constantly it gets trumpeted as the very piece of cinematic perfection. The Dark Knight Rises is also not worthy of the similar treatment the fan boys push for that they feel it deserves. It's equally pretentious, and it also often takes itself way too seriously.

But if I were to step back and look at TDKR as nothing more than a superhero flick, I can say it was quite a good movie, and a lot better than TDK (at least for myself). The trailer made it appear as it was going to be a replica of TDK, but the end product had a lot more in common with Batman Begins, which I liked.

It contained more of a kind of humanistic quality to it that shone through. And it had a heavier and more effective approach to character development in it.

As for the characters, Bane was a pretty crapty villain, and a poor follow up to The Joker (who was brilliant). But Anne Hathway as Catwoman was just awesome (I love that they let her have all her traditional cheesy one-liners), as was Joseph Gordon Levitt. Performances all around were quite good.

I came in with no expectations because of TDK, but I left with a giant grin on my face (probably because the ending was quite awesome).

ParaNorman - 7.5/10

It was kind of a cross of Coraline (which I loved) and Monster House (which was alright for the most part). The animation was beautiful, and the set up was great. Most of the jokes were funny, and parts of it were endearing (although it tried too hard in that respect).

The problem really came when they got into the bulk of the movie towards the end, and I think this is another animated movie that would perhaps have benefited from going in a different direction. There was a lot of missed potential. But the end product was still a good enough one.

On a side note, what is it with stop motion animation, and surrealist paranormal stylings. Is there some sort of unwritten rule that they have to go hand in hand? I'm not complaining, because I think the result is usually awesome, but it does leave me thinking. Is it because of The Nightmare Before Christmas, or does it predate that?

On a side note, what is it with stop motion animation, and surrealist paranormal stylings. Is there some sort of unwritten rule that they have to go hand in hand? I'm not complaining, because I think the result is usually awesome, but it does leave me thinking. Is it because of The Nightmare Before Christmas, or does it predate that?

Archived