The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

Guest Gumballthechewy

Ravenous - 7.5/10 Bloody and entertaining. A movie with Robert Carlyle, Guy Pierce and Jeffrey Jones can never go wrong.

Total Recall (2012) - 6.5/10

I feel like I should give it a somewhat higher rating because I enjoyed it more than that, but on the whole it was still just an above average action movie.

As a remake, I think it did the job for the most part. It drastically changed story elements of the original, but it didn't change anything thematically. Different situation with the same principles involved. The way they altered, expanded, and removed certain characters and their roles threw me off a bit, but as a way to shake things up a bit and put their own stamp on the movie, I didn't mind.

One thing that was perhaps a bit awkward was when they tried to replicate certain scenes and quirks from the original. Stuff like the rolling of a tear of sadness rather than nervous sweat was a bit clever. But randomly throwing in 3 boob lady, along with the weird fat woman in the yellow coat... callbacks like that were unnecessary. Kind of as if the movie was trying to remind the viewer that this was indeed a Total Recall movie because they had possibly forgotten so.

Considering that I can say I was able to enjoy a remake to an original movie that I liked quite a bit, I can't really complain. But I do doubt that I will be bothering to ever watch this again, whereas I'm certain that I'll be continuing to re-watch the Schwarzenegger multiple times in the future. So there is that.

The Watch - total crap..........finally decided Ben Stiller is neither talented or funny

Savages - Benicio del Toro was great but for the most part I just kept thinking I like True Romance better

Skyfall - disappointed after first viewing. I want to see it again for better judgement. Basically I found it too slow and was ticked that it took so long to bring the villian on screen, especially with such a great actor playing the part. Story was OK though.

Ruby Sparks - 6.5/10

The whole thing was written as a sort of Charlie Kaufman imitation. I think it had enough going for it that it was certainly watchable (even though it makes for an uneven ride). At the very least it did get my imagination going a bit.

The Italian Job (Marky Mark) - 2/10

My wife and I saw this when it first came to theatres, and we hated it then. Last week, we decided to watch something that required no thinking at all. I don't even know why I'm giving it a 2 to be honest. This just reeks of bad 90s films, and it was made in 2003. Bad dialogue, horrible acting, and Austin Minis rule the screen.

If you haven't seen it, I envy you.

Skyfall - 8.5/10

I am rating the movie as a beyond satisfied Bond fan. Will be re-watching it multiple times along with my older favourites.

It's hard to stress just how much better this movie was than the piece of crap that was Quantam of Solace.

Archived