The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

The Fighter - 9/10.

The first few minutes I was thinking "Okay, Bale is really over selling this", but after that, I totally forgot it was him and really believed his part. It's also badass when you steal the limelight from the "main character". Melissa Leo was grand as well as were the sisters. Mark Wahlberg is Mark Wahlberg and Amy Adams really could have been anyone else. I was also thinking that Dickie couldn't be that big of a character. But when you see him at the end, you realize he really is squirrely.

The King's Speech - 9/10

This is totally different than the "9" I gave the fighter. This is simply a good movie where as the Fighter is really entertaining. I don't see how Colin Firth can lost the Oscar. English movies are always laughed at for being "boring", but I didn't find one minute of this boring. I think Colin Firth being Mr. Darcy and all those pompus English characters really helped him carry off the air of a king. Geoffrey Rush is amazing as well. I'm used to him being Barbossa, but he was superb in this role. I also really enjoyed Helena Bonham-Carter. It was nice seeing her in a non quirky, Tim Burtonesque role. She just might be my favourite actress around right now.

I still hope Christian Bale wins the Oscar though. He's been in bad movies, but has never been in a bad role.

The Machinist (2003): 9.5/10. Awesome movie. Christian Bale's best movie IMO, or maybe Empire of the Sun :)

Capturing the Friedmans (documentary): 9/10. Well done doc, although incredibly disturbing...

Despicable Me: 8/10: Good, not great. There are better kids movies out there for sure.

Catfish: 8.5/10: Interesting to say the least. Not sure if it's a documentary or a mockumentary, but, I was into it the whole time...

The other guys: 5/10: Had its moments of humour, but, not worth spending any money on, IMO...

Date Night: 2/10: Utterly terrible movie, way over the top, especially that awful car chase scene (one of the worst scenes I have ever witnessed)

Louis C.K.'s "Hilarious": 10/10. I know this is a comedy special and not a 'movie' per se, but this was honestly the hardest I have ever laughed while watching something. The guy is an absolute genius. Go out of your way to get this if you enjoy raunchy, debaucherous, stand-up.

Archived