6280 replies to this topic

#5851 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

Anyways, they showed a trailer for "Trouble with the Curve"... looks good.

http://en.wikipedia...._with_the_Curve

#5852 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean - 8/10

Decided to have a marathon and after finishing the likes of Star Wars, LOTR, Indina Jones, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia and X-Men I went with the Disney series. It was better than I last remembered it, no classic, but defiantly re-watchable.

#5853 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Pirates of the Caribbean - 8/10

Decided to have a marathon and after finishing the likes of Star Wars, LOTR, Indina Jones, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia and X-Men I went with the Disney series. It was better than I last remembered it, no classic, but defiantly re-watchable.

The first one was excellent. I'd probably rate it even higher.

But they get worse and worse. I couldn't even watch more than 30 minutes of the last one.
Posted Image

#5854 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

But they get worse and worse. I couldn't even watch more than 30 minutes of the last one.

Agreed. The first one was such a terrific treat when it first came out. I remember seeing the teaser trailer for it and thinking, "A film based off of a ride at Disneyland? This can't be good." How wrong I was.

However, as you said, it just got worse and worse. Like the Matrix before it, it was clear that they had never intended on making a second and third film until the success of the first. Just crap.

-------------------------------------

Just watched The Raid: Redemption - Solid 8/10. Have not been this interested in a martial arts film in more than a decade. Great piece of work.

Edited by Monty, 29 August 2012 - 10:22 AM.

Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

[http://media3.giphy....Cl8Y/giphy.gif]

#5855 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

The Hunger Games - 6/10

Not a very good movie at all...but I'm nowhere near their target demographic. But I totally get the hype. A teenage girl who feels that nobody notices her gets to save her sister, be the star of the ball, stay at the penthouse, become a hero to her town, and kill those mean bullies? Talk about estro-gentric fantasy!
Posted Image

#5856 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

The Hunger Games - 6/10

Not a very good movie at all...but I'm nowhere near their target demographic. But I totally get the hype. A teenage girl who feels that nobody notices her gets to save her sister, be the star of the ball, stay at the penthouse, become a hero to her town, and kill those mean bullies? Talk about estro-gentric fantasy!

lol! Best review I've seen for it yet. My wife absolutely plowed through these books, and even she thought the movie was a joke.

4/10.

Edited by Monty, 29 August 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

[http://media3.giphy....Cl8Y/giphy.gif]

#5857 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Like the Matrix before it, it was clear that they had never intended on making a second and third film until the success of the first. Just crap.

I may be in the Minority, but I kind of liked Reloaded when I first saw it - more than any of the Pirates sequels, anyway. It obviously wasn't in the same stratosphere as the first one, but it had some interesting new characters and ideas. I thought it was really going somewhere...

...but oh, was I wrong. Revolutions was one of the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. I have refrained from re-watching the first two since, in case I get flashbacks of that colossal pile of crap.
Posted Image

#5858 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

lol! Best review I've seen for it yet. My wife absolutely plowed through these books, and even she thought the movie was a joke.

4/10.

I had zero interest/experience with the books, and pretty low expectations. So even though it wasn't that great, I can't say I was disappointed either. Average film.

I know it would have been a slight stray from the books, but man, wouldn't a little Buzzsaw make it waaaay more enjoyable?

Posted Image

Edited by D-Money, 29 August 2012 - 10:51 AM.

Posted Image

#5859 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I may be in the Minority, but I kind of liked Reloaded when I first saw it - more than any of the Pirates sequels, anyway. It obviously wasn't in the same stratosphere as the first one, but it had some interesting new characters and ideas. I thought it was really going somewhere...

...but oh, was I wrong. Revolutions was one of the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. I have refrained from re-watching the first two since, in case I get flashbacks of that colossal pile of crap.

I didn't like Reloaded all too much in the first place, but I'm on the same level where Revolutions' atrociousness made it unwatchable on the whole.
Luckily the first movie remains watchable on it's own without the sequels. It's standalone.

Also share the exact same feelings on the Pirates movies. First one was surprisingly great. The second was not at all comprable... and the third was a giant convoluted pile of crap.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#5860 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Has anyone seen "Wrath of the Titans" ?
Is it actually as good as the trailer makes it seem?
If someone can give me an honest opinion I will greatly appreciate it :) thank you

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#5861 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Has anyone seen "Wrath of the Titans" ?
Is it actually as good as the trailer makes it seem?
If someone can give me an honest opinion I will greatly appreciate it :) thank you

Well, it was not good. But if you liked the first one, then I can't imagine you'd dislike this one.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#5862 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Wrath was worse than Clash, imo. The story just wasn't that interesting and the titan effects didn't quite make up for it. Clash at least had the original plotline for support.

Watched Night of the Comet, which i barely remember from 1984. Maybe i barely remember it because beyond the basic premise (the comet that wiped out the dinosaurs comes back and turns the humans to red, chalk-like dust in their tracks as the earth crosses it's tail), the movie is 100% forgettable.

The survivors are flesh-eating zombies, of course, but a few 'protected from the comet by a steel shed' survivors remain: A couple 80's stereotype broads and Chicote from Star Trek Voyager.

Zombie effects are horrible and cheap. The flesh actually looks like cooked ham. And the 'scary' scenes are laughable at best. The evil scientists at the end lose their IQ due to the comet, but i think they were idiots to begin with. Easily defeated keystone cops operation.

Unlike other bad, low-budget movies of the era, this one does not even deserve cult status. Re-Animator, Bad Taste, Death Race 2000 and such at least didn't take itself seriously in any way.

This movie just looks like a serious movie attempt that got it's plug pulled. 2/10
Posted Image

#5863 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Warrior - 7.5

Not a fan in the least of MMA, so this one didn't really interest me much. But it's constant presence in IMDB's top 250 made me give it a shot. Turned out to be a pretty good movie, and far more about family and old wounds than fighting.

However, it wasn't top-250 good. A lot of cliches at work, and I didn't find Nick Nolte's performance to be oscar-nom-worthy. But still a solid film, and worth watching...even if you couldn't care less about MMA.
Posted Image

#5864 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Yup, Warrior was good. Hardly recognized the guy from Inception, but i guess he had to do more bulked-up roles while being in 'Bane' mode for the last Batman. His loss after destroying all other opponents easily was a little far-fetched, but it stressed the importance of submission holds. 7/10
Posted Image

#5865 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Back to the future- 10/10

That movie is a classic can't beat it.

Back to the future 2 - 8/10

Movie is a classic but the 1st one is better
GO Canucks GO

#5866 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yup, Warrior was good. Hardly recognized the guy from Inception, but i guess he had to do more bulked-up roles while being in 'Bane' mode for the last Batman. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 7/10

spoiler?

Edited by BoggyDepot, 30 August 2012 - 09:11 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------

#5867 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

I meant like the series is an 8. Obviously the first one was very well done. It would be like a 9, the second one a 7.5, the 3rd a solid 8.25 and the fourth a 6 ( it's pretty bad.)

#5868 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

I meant like the series is an 8. Obviously the first one was very well done. It would be like a 9, the second movie a 7.5, the 3rd is a solid 8.25 and the fourth a 6 ( it's pretty bad.)

#5869 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Avengers: 10/10

Posted Image

#5870 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

The Bourne Legacy 7/10 - Captured the feeling of the Matt Damon Bourne films, but a little bland because it definitely seemed like a reboot.

The Possession - 7/10 - Decent movie. Matisyahu as a Jewish exorcist?
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#5871 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

The Latest Will Ferrell Movie looks stupid and non-theatre-worthy.

Wait for Anchorman 2
Posted Image

#5872 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

spoiler?

If you don't find the plot ultra-predictable, then you need to watch more movies.
Posted Image

#5873 Slender Man

Slender Man

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Snow White and the Huntsman - 8/10

Do not like Kristen Stewart as Snow White

Would not fap to this movie again

Posted Image

~ FREE iE. ~

#5874 sulihpoeht

sulihpoeht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

The Bourne Legacy- 6.5/10
The fighting scenes were okay, but there weren't any clever tricks put into it that made it anywhere close to the originals.
Remember the reverse-pickpocket at the beginning of the Ultimatum? Remember grabbing clothing during the rooftop chase to vault over the glass? Remember calling the police with perfect timing to slow down the Black Briar agents?
This movie didn't have anything that would make you say "wow to. It was slow at the beginning and didn't have the usual consistent action that the Bourne movies usually had. Half an hour for any decent fighting to go on
GO CANUCKS GO!

#5875 Gaunce

Gaunce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Just had a marathon of LOTR 10/10
Posted Image

#5876 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

Fright Night 3D- 9/10

Just an awesome movie!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5877 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen - 7/10

Pretty good movie. Held my interest, and my wife enjoyed it too. They focused a bit too much on the British side of the story though. I think it would have been better if there was more insight and character development into the Sheikh and his opposers.

Big Miracle - 6/10

Nice little family movie. Nothing spectacular, but not a total snooze/cheese-fest either. Drew Barrymore was really annoying, but most of the other acting was decent.
Posted Image

#5878 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Radio Days - 7.5/10

Woody Allen film in which he details stories from both his youth and showbusiness in the early 40's. All of them in some way involved the radio, which was always playing in his house. A very young Seth Green plays Woody as a child.

It was cute, had some laughs, and the nostalgic value was pretty high. For a while it kind of seemed pointless, but then it was tied together beautifully in the end.
Posted Image

#5879 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

If you don't find the plot ultra-predictable, then you need to watch more movies.

Well I didn't even know the plot, aside from the MMA aspect. Your comment not only tells us what happens at the end, but how it happens. That is most definitely a spoiler which has nothing to do with my lack of plot predicting abilities. Do the right thing and use spoiler tags when you're giving something like that away.
------------------------------------------------------------

#5880 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Just got back from Total Recall (2012). The little I read about it beforehand showed that it was getting bad reviews but I really enjoyed it from a Sci-Fi perspective. So many great ideas:

Gravity Elevator: http://en.wikipedia....i/Gravity_train
Hover Cars
Cyborgs
Implants

All futuristic things that I love.

Also, one of my favourite actors, Bill Nighy was in it (but only for a few minutes :( )

7.5/10!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.