The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

I just watched one of the best gangster movies I have ever seen. The film is titled "Bulletproof Gangster" or "Kill the Irishman" (the title of the book on which the movie was based To Kill the Irishman: The War That Crippled the Mafia by Rick Porrello.) depending on where it was released.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416801/

bulletproof-gangster-400.jpg

kill_the_irishman.jpg

It is the story of Cleveland gangster Danny "The Irishman" Greene who went to war with the Mafia for control of organized crime in Cleveland in the 1970's. The film traces his start in the dock unions through his war with the Mafia. Greene survived numerous attempts on his life. In 1976 there were 36 explosions that rocked Cleveland therefore dubbing it as Bomb City, USA. This is all due in part to the Italian mob trying to Kill The Irishman, Danny Greene. He dodges bullets like Superman and survives explosions like John McClain ("Die Hard") then walks away with an indifferent attitude.

There is effective use made of news reports of the gang war in Cleveland from the time. An excellent gritty look at life on the mean streets in Cleveland and the rise of an orphan to legendary Robin Hood-like status.

Eventually the war with Greene would bring down the Cleveland Mafia and cripple the Mafia nationally.

There is a great cast and all the supporting parts work very well:

Danny Greene - Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo in the HBO series Rome) - strong performance

Vincent D'Onfrio - John Nardi - a Mafia guy who is friends with Greene and takes on the old style Mafia controlled out of New York

Val Kilmer - Cleveland Police Detective Joe Manditski who grew up with Greene and who has a grudging repsect for the way he stands up to the Mafia.

Christopher Walken - Shondor Birns an Jewish loan shark who takes Greene under his wing.

Tony Lo Bianco - Jack Licavoli the head of the Cleveland Mafia who goes to war with Greene.

Paul Sorvino - New York crime head Fat Tony Salerno - who has to intervene in the war that the Cleveland Mafia is losing to Greene.

Robert Davi - Ray Ferretto a top Mafia hitman from LA sent by Salerno to deal with Greene and his crew.

One of the real gritty gangster movies of all time. Highly recommended.

D'onofrio is lookin' pretty haggard.

Saw Insidious last night. Disappointed they took seach a subject as deep as astral projection and turned it into another Paranormal Activity

I just watched one of the best gangster movies I have ever seen. The film is titled "Bulletproof Gangster" or "Kill the Irishman" (the title of the book on which the movie was based To Kill the Irishman: The War That Crippled the Mafia by Rick Porrello.) depending on where it was released.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416801/

bulletproof-gangster-400.jpg

kill_the_irishman.jpg

It is the story of Cleveland gangster Danny "The Irishman" Greene who went to war with the Mafia for control of organized crime in Cleveland in the 1970's. The film traces his start in the dock unions through his war with the Mafia. Greene survived numerous attempts on his life. In 1976 there were 36 explosions that rocked Cleveland therefore dubbing it as Bomb City, USA. This is all due in part to the Italian mob trying to Kill The Irishman, Danny Greene. He dodges bullets like Superman and survives explosions like John McClain ("Die Hard") then walks away with an indifferent attitude.

There is effective use made of news reports of the gang war in Cleveland from the time. An excellent gritty look at life on the mean streets in Cleveland and the rise of an orphan to legendary Robin Hood-like status.

Eventually the war with Greene would bring down the Cleveland Mafia and cripple the Mafia nationally.

There is a great cast and all the supporting parts work very well:

Danny Greene - Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo in the HBO series Rome) - strong performance

Vincent D'Onfrio - John Nardi - a Mafia guy who is friends with Greene and takes on the old style Mafia controlled out of New York

Val Kilmer - Cleveland Police Detective Joe Manditski who grew up with Greene and who has a grudging repsect for the way he stands up to the Mafia.

Christopher Walken - Shondor Birns an Jewish loan shark who takes Greene under his wing.

Tony Lo Bianco - Jack Licavoli the head of the Cleveland Mafia who goes to war with Greene.

Paul Sorvino - New York crime head Fat Tony Salerno - who has to intervene in the war that the Cleveland Mafia is losing to Greene.

Robert Davi - Ray Ferretto a top Mafia hitman from LA sent by Salerno to deal with Greene and his crew.

One of the real gritty gangster movies of all time. Highly recommended.

Dazed and Confused - 10/10 seen it a million times, classic

Boogie Nights - 9/10 I didn't even know this movie existed until I found it on netflix. It was super sick, long but worth it

Spun - 7/10 Jason Schwartzman made this better than it should of been I think

Dogtown and Z-boys - 9/10 Really, really good documentary especially if you skate, but you could definitely get into it even if you don't because the characters are so interesting and it's such a cool story.

Kurt and Courtney - 4/10 crapty documentary about Kurt Cobain done by some British douche

I've watched a lot movies on netflix this long weekend....

The Objective - 2.5/10

Well, probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Film was full of bullcrap and the ending basically made me go "what the f***?" Only reason why I wanted to watch this film is because it was tied to the CIA (spy films is a genre I enjoy) but it was just horrible....

FastFive.jpg

Hey,

If you are enthusiastic about cars, definitely would recommend watching this. I am crazy about cars and this had a blast watching it.

Went today with a few friends, definitely a movie to watch in a cinema.

Just wanted to let people know,

Cheers,

Archived